Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Synchronicity/Coincidence/Happy Accidents

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 03:09 PM

[blue]
Jung called them synchronicities, Fort called them the work of the cosmic joker and Walpole termed them serendipities. Basically what they were all referring to is the occurrence of coincidences which seem to have meaning.

A famous example is: the Daily Telegraph had the words overlord, mulberry, Utah & Neptune in its crossword in the month that led up to the D-Day landings - all of which were the main codewords for the operation.

Another: in 1898 Morgan Robertson published a book in which a ship called Titan and known as the safest vessel in the world hit an iceberg on its maiden voyage across the Atlantic. That's 14 years prior to the Titanic's famous disaster.

Most people have had some experience of this sort of coincidence, where an unusual word or thing is brought to your attention, and then reappears many times in a short space of time. Or when you look for something and cannot find it, then suddenly 'chance' upon it unexpectedly.

What do you all think? Are these events just coinicidences? Or are we being guided by unseen forces? Or is this the work of the subconcious mind? Telepathy?

Or has anyone got any examples/stories of these kinds of coincidences?[/blue]

Do what you want and be what you feel. Because after all, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't 'mind.

Work hard, keep the ceremonies, live peacably, and unite your hearts. – Hopi

Listen to the voice of nature, for it holds treasures for you. – Huron

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears. – Minquass

#2    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 15 February 2002 - 05:29 PM

Loonboy!

That is great food for thought!  I cannot think of any specific incident right now, but I know there have been times when things have come together at the right time.  Mostly good things,  I'm glad to say!

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

#3    odinsupreme

odinsupreme

Odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

• Yes.

Posted 15 February 2002 - 09:43 PM

Loonboy,

I have had something like that very often. I went donstairs and the I realized that I forgot my keys. I went back up to my room and saw that I had left the windown  open or the lights still on..

Odin Supreme

#4    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 10:30 PM

[blue]This is weird - since posting that thread, I've had half a dozen 'strange' coincidences. Like: looking up a chapter on the Turin shroud and finding a bit on the Knights Templar - then looking up a bit on the Ark of the Covenant and finding a bit on... guess what... the Knights Templar.... then talking on the phone with a friend who out of the blue started speaking about an old TV programme called 'The Saint'... the main character of which is called Simon Templar.....
:s4
It just get's weirder....
[/blue]

Do what you want and be what you feel. Because after all, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't 'mind.

#5    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,369 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 16 February 2002 - 11:46 AM

In Deepak Chopra's book The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success,  he explains how you can benifet  from coincidences and deja vu.  I'll have to read it again and post more info.

Mmmmmm  :se

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#6    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 16 February 2002 - 02:04 PM

A similiar occurance happened to me and a few friends 2 weeks ago today. Usually i don't use names of people, but in this case i will as it will get a trifle confusing if i don't  :s02 .
Two friends (Tony and Simon) and I returned to my house after going Bowling for a friends birthday (Seamus). There is very few sights that are more amusing than 30 or more drunk Goths in bowling shoes, but i digress... The three of us where going to mine to get ready to go clubbing and most of the others were going on to Seamus's house to continue the party there.
Seamus's house is a half hour walk from my house.
Tony, Simon and I had run out of alcohol *again* so Simon went to the off license to get some more. Although we were all quite drunk i assumed that he'd be able to find it as it is on the same street as my house, on the same side and only 2mins walk away. Even Simon, who doesn't know this area of london at all, could do that... It was such a short walk he didn't even take his coat with him.
Well, 45mins later Tony went out to search for him and returned empty handed. That was the last we heard of Simon until 18 hours later when i got a call from Seamus asking if Simon had left his coat here. Apparently Simon had just awoken on his floor and was about to go home and couldn't find it. After a fruitless search of the house he asked everybody else (the party was still going) and they asked him if he'd been anywhere else the night before.   At first he couldn't remember anything but eventually remembered a few things - Bowling - My house - then awaking at Seamus's house. With mine and other people's information we managed to piece together what he had done the night before:
upon leaving my house and being a tad more drunk than i had realised he did actually make it to the off license but upon exiting the off license, after buying the aforementioned booze, he set off in the wrong direction.
After 2 hours of wondering round london (not knowing it at all) he passed out in a random block of flats. It just happened that this block was the same block that Seamus lives in  and he had  passed out in a corridor 2 floors up above Seamus's flat! Then the next big coincedence - someone from the party just happened to wander 2 floors up and finding him unconcious, thinking he'd been at the party all night, dragged him 'back' to the party! There he stayed until he awoke hours later with everyone assuming he'd been with them all along!

never take me too seriously

#7    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 16 February 2002 - 04:11 PM

[blue]Please Note:
This last post serves as a warning to our younger members about the dangers of alcohol.
:sg
[/blue]

#8    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 16 February 2002 - 06:19 PM

PS,

That is a VERY LUCKY coincidence for your friend!!  I think he had a guardian angel watching out for him that night!  I think I have someone watching over me too-I make many 'wrong turns'! :s02

KC
     Isn't there a saying(something about) 'ANGELS WATCH OVER FOOLS AND IDIOTS'   :s6

Helen Keller

#9    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 16 February 2002 - 06:55 PM

HI EVERYONE!
     I'm posting here again,  cause a coincidence just happened to me!  After I left this section,  I went to the tv shows, etc. section,  to read the post on the movie, 'Mists of Avalon'.  It was started in July 2001,  by Jamie(I believe)and then not until January of this year,  was it commented on (by CelticWitch).  And the last comment was today.  Bear with me,  I can give too much detail in the telling!  So,  last night I was looking for a tape of 'The X-Files'  and came across the tape I had made of the 'MoA' movie.  Since I had misplaced it,  I have not seen it yet!!  I will be watching it tonight with added interest.  Anyway,  I thought that was a pretty profound coincidence!

Helen Keller

#10    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 16 February 2002 - 07:10 PM

[blue]I've heard that Angels watch over Drunks and Babies, which is also relevant to PurpleStuart's post....[/blue]
             :sg

#11    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 16 February 2002 - 09:37 PM

I think the full quote should be "Angels watch over Fools, idiots and drunks, but only with a morbid curiousity"
Well i would if i were an angel...

#12    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 16 February 2002 - 10:21 PM

PS,

Yes,  curious as to why humans subject themselves to such ludicrous behavior! :s03

Helen Keller

#13    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

Posted 16 February 2002 - 10:28 PM

Well i reckon that being an Angel for several millenia is gonna drag a bit so for a change they probably head down to see what the daft humans are up to...

#14    Sheff_Pud

Sheff_Pud

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 February 2002 - 11:24 PM

I mentioned before on the Mazehouse site that, as an electrician, I used to travel around a lot and the most unsettling coincidences for me were when I looked at signposts of unknown places and I would frequently hear a radio request for someone from one of the places named on the signpost. It used to really freak me out.  :s03

Surgeons must be very carefulWhen they take the knife!Underneath their fine incisionsStirs the Culprit -- Life!                            (Emily Dickinson)

#15    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 17 February 2002 - 12:52 AM

[blue]
And now it's getting frighteningly weird: yesterday I was chatting online with a friend from Sheffield, Yorkshire who happened to mention (of all things) the Krankies (Uk 'comedy' couple on tv in the early 80's - for our non Uk members). Last night on Graham Norton there was a pic of Jeanette Krankie with Matthew Kelly and today a friend said 'fandabeedooozieee' (their catchphrase) to me.... I'm starting to get very afraid.... :s07

What's weird is that I've never even thought of the Krankies for nearly 10 years.....

Do you think that we prompt synchronicities by just the thought of them? Odd.
[/blue] :s9

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users