Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Hiroshima bomb may have carried hidden agenda

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 23 July 2005 - 12:35 PM

The US decision to drop atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945 was meant to kick-start the Cold War rather than end the Second World War, according to two nuclear historians who say they have new evidence backing the controversial theory.

Causing a fission reaction in several kilograms of uranium and plutonium and killing over 200,000 people 60 years ago was done more to impress the Soviet Union than to cow Japan, they say.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: New Scientist

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Rhomphaia

Rhomphaia

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

• Conspiracy Theories: The art of adding 2+2 and getting a result of 22.

Posted 23 July 2005 - 12:42 PM

Give me a break...
War crimes? Crimes against humanity?
Taking that context, then he should have been guilty of that for the god only knows how many thousands of tons of bombs he dropped on German cities.
And if you want to put the deaths of men women and children in context, look at Japan's policy at the time. They were pressing women and children into service to defend their nation against attack. I am not talking like how Germany did with the Hitler Youth, I am talking like little kids, under ten, being forced to fight American soldiers.
War crimes and crimes against humanity my ass...

"We are not here to bend aught...We are come to cleanse."
-Brother Grissom.

#3    Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Duff

• 4,672 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 01:19 PM

I think not.

Cold War just cost money, no one won.

Forum Boy

#4    Super Pancake

Super Pancake

Bwa Ha HA HA HA

• 4,131 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 02:05 PM

Also how could Truman anticipate the cold war in the first place? And how dropping an atomic bomb was an advantage it probably was a disadvantage because now everybody saw its power, so everybody wants one?

#5    Dr_Strangelove

Dr_Strangelove

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 337 posts

• "History is the lie most commonly agreed upon" Napoleon

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting" Curtis LeMay

Posted 23 July 2005 - 02:12 PM

I am always amazed that they continue this debate why and if we should have used the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It did look like the Imperial Japanese Army might have it's way and we would be have to invade the home islands to bring about a final defeat. It also looked like the Japanese might try to use their own 'Weapons of Mass Destruction'. Their efforts at biological warfare with Unit 731 should not be discounted. We needed to end the war as quickly as possible. If we had invaded the islands a lot more Japanese civilians would have been killed in the defence of the islands.

I think we did the Japanese a favor by dropping the bombs.

#6    Pannkakskungen

Pannkakskungen

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Location:As far away as possible from all the stupid people.

• Ohh no...

Posted 23 July 2005 - 03:06 PM

I thought everybody knew that Truman had two "targets" in mind with dropping the bombs, first, make Japan realize they cant win or really hold out for a long time without losing huge numbers of lives. Second, show Stalin that he should give up any idea he had in his dirty little mind about expanding his evil empire further.

Make a Diffirence!

http://www.care2.com

Nandai

Since time began,
the dead alone know peace.
Life is but melting snow.

#7    AztecInca

AztecInca

Martian

• 9,013 posts

• All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good people to do nothing.

Posted 24 July 2005 - 01:46 AM

Well of course he just decided to kill 200,000 thousand people so he could start another war that may have cost countless more lives!

#8    LarryOldtimer

LarryOldtimer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

• In the beginning, there was nothing. God said, "Let there be light." There still was nothing, but you could see it better.

Posted 24 July 2005 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE(Mr Ed @ Jul 23 2005, 06:19 AM)
I think not.

Cold War just cost money, no one won.

View Post

From a technology and basic scientific knowledge standpoint, the cold war was the best thing that ever happened to the US.   geek.gif

#9    ROGER

ROGER

Government Agent

• 3,564 posts

• Sticks and stone didnt break my bone,
    But old age is starting to Hurt me!

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:55 AM

THE COLD WAR AND THE SPACE PROGRAM.

We pray for one last landing/ On the planet that gave us birth/ Let us rest our eyes on the fleecy skies/ And the cool, green hills of Earth.
Robert A. Heinlein

#10    STIX

STIX

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

• The fact that threshold points exist and dictate matter suggests a pattern and layered geometry to the universe.

Posted 25 July 2005 - 05:24 PM

"According to an account by Walter Brown, assistant to then-US secretary of state James Byrnes, Truman agreed at a meeting three days before the bomb was dropped on Hiroshima that Japan was "looking for peace". Truman was told by his army generals, Douglas Macarthur and Dwight Eisenhower, and his naval chief of staff, William Leahy, that there was no military need to use the bomb.

"Impressing Russia was more important than ending the war in Japan," says Selden. Truman was also worried that he would be accused of wasting money on the Manhattan Project to build the first nuclear bombs, if the bomb was not used, he adds."

I think that this is very possible. The US needed to scare the russians because of the looming cold war, it was inevitable, japan would eventually surrender which would lead to an arms race between russia and the US. It is logical to assume that after forseeing this chance the act of flexing the USA's military muscle would give them a head start against the russians.

I agree, japan would've surrendered without the use of the A-bomb.

#11    charon

charon

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:05 PM

The people who saw the Little Boy often say "We saw another sun in the sky when it exploded." The heat and the light generated by the Little Boy were far stronger than bombs which they had seen before. When the heat wave reached ground level it burnt all before it including people. ....

The radiation generated by the bomb caused long-term problems to those affected. Many people died within the first few months and many more in subsequent years because of radiation exposure. Some people had genetic problems which sometimes resulted in having malformed babies or being unable to have children......

The volunteers who participated in this project, strongly believe that the world must learn about weapons of total destruction. We hope that the information presented here will help you understand the pain and devastation that nuclear weapons can cause. We don't want you to just feel sorry for the people of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the war inflicted untold pain and suffering on many people in Asia and the Pacific. Rather we want you to work with us to ensure that all of us can live in a safe world. ....

Caution! There are some graphic pictures at this web site.
Source: csi.ad.jp/ABOMB

“Hither to Haides all shall come, hither the highest and the lowest class: evil it is, but it is a path that all must tread; all must assuage the three heads of the barking guard-dog Kerberos and embark on the grisly greybeard’s Charon’s boat that no one misses … But for you, may the ferryman convey to the place whither he gives passage to the shades of the righteous the body no longer tenanted by your soul.”

#12    Baku

Baku

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

• Land of the Eternal Fire, Azerbaijan

Posted 28 July 2005 - 06:39 PM

I heard about this before and I think its true. That was the time when the Cold War began. And throwing a bomb into a city full of inocent people is not fighting war, its total genocide, so I agree this is a act of war crime against humanity.

Edited by Baku, 07 August 2005 - 12:39 PM.

#13    cow666

cow666

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 38 posts

• "Of all the things i`ve lost, i miss my mind the most"

Ozzy Orsbourne.

Posted 08 August 2005 - 10:19 AM

Anyway bombing anybody for any reason SUCKS big time.

#14    Dr_Strangelove

Dr_Strangelove

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 337 posts

• "History is the lie most commonly agreed upon" Napoleon

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting" Curtis LeMay

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE(cow666 @ Aug 8 2005, 11:19 AM)
Anyway bombing anybody for any reason SUCKS big time.

View Post

I think thats what we thought about Pearl Harbor?

#15    Mekorig

Mekorig

Government Agent

• 3,577 posts

• A Lithium flower about to bloom

Posted 08 August 2005 - 10:10 PM

The ****** A-Bomb...the greatest contribution that the USA made to the world.

user posted image

for every vengefull USA citizens that talks about bombing some place in the way of making a revenge: look at the picture above.

I´m an evil pinko UN slave liberal commie

I don't think any of these "The Vague Society of Nebulous Meanies are going to take over the world and light up a planet" theories worry too much about practical considerations like that. It's all about rousing ill-informed, paranoiac fear, not making sense.

--Jaylemurph

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users