Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Monster of the Mere

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,906 posts

Posted 16 February 2002 - 09:56 PM

I found this today, thought people might be interested:

The monster of the mere
Feb 14 2002
Liverpool Echo

IT sounds like an unlikely fisherman's tale.

But the manager of the Martin Mere nature reserve in West Lancashire is convinced there is something large lurking in the deeps.

Some creature, say staff at the reserve, is responsible for dragging fully grown swans into one of their lakes.

And it could be a monster fish the size of a small car, a kind of cross between Jaws and the Loch Ness Monster.

This is one theory which might explain the sight of a swan being pulled underwater.

Several visitors witnessed the swan trying to flee the grasp of a giant underwater predator on Thursday night.

In an earlier incident, the 20-acre lake where swans gather was left deserted as they all refused to go on to the water.

"Something is completely spooking them," commented reserve manager Chris Tomlinson.

"On two occasions, both Thursdays, January 17 and February 7, something in the water has caused the 1,500-plus wild wintering swans to completely disappear".

Centre manager Pat Wisniewski adds: "Whatever it was out there last night must have been pretty big to pull a swan back into the water. Swans weigh up to 13 kilos".

Pat added: "This could be an extremely large pike, or a Wels catfish. Both conceivably could survive in the rather murky, de-oxygenated water for years and grow to an extremely large size".

Four years ago Pat spotted something that appeared to be the size of a small car circling the mere just below the waterline of the lake, which is four metres deep.

One theory is that something may have made its way into the mere through its drainage system many years ago as a juvenile and remained there ever since having grown too large to escape.

Visitors to WWT Martin Mere are asked to keep their eyes peeled for the monster.

* The current British record rod-caught Wels catfish stands at 62lb while the world record weight is 202lb. The Wels is Europe's largest freshwater fish and they are known to live in excess of 30 years.

A spokesman for Angling Times said it was unlikely the predator would be a catfish, however. They do not grow to any considerable size this far north, although some specimens have been caught in the Wirral meres. It is the wrong time of year for large catfish to be so active.

What does everyone think?

"We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences."
David Gemmell

#2    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 16 February 2002 - 10:37 PM

Althalus,

It's a shame that such a beautiful place is being terrorized by some underwater monster(any fish that can get to be over 200 lbs. has my vote).  The swans have an instinct for survival,  so I guess they will try not be on the menu!  
       That  'it's the wrong time of year' -  well,  Nature hasn't always obeyed the rules(or is that laws?)!
Whether it's true or made-up,  if the swans are being killed off,  it should be checked into.  

KC (swan safety advocate) :s8

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

#3    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 16 February 2002 - 11:25 PM

[blue]...it's killing fluffy wuffy swans....?[/blue] :'(

Do what you want and be what you feel. Because after all, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't 'mind.

Work hard, keep the ceremonies, live peacably, and unite your hearts. Hopi

Listen to the voice of nature, for it holds treasures for you. Huron

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears. Minquass

#4    crosis

crosis

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 February 2002 - 11:35 PM

have a look at this link
http://www.finefishing.com/1freshfish/aaspecies/pikemusky/europike.htm
It does state thet pike do take waterfowl but the world record pike is nowere near the estimated size of the so called monster.

???

Bristol society for paranormal research and investigations      Click here

#5    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 16 February 2002 - 11:41 PM

I imagine the waterfowl they were talking about were ducks rather than swans though...

Size of a small car? German U-boat whose crew refuses to believe the war is over - anyone?  ;D

never take me too seriously

#6    crosis

crosis

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 February 2002 - 11:55 PM

Ducklings or maybe something small like a moorhen,
but i have never heard of any freshwater fish taking a swan :sj

Bristol society for paranormal research and investigations      Click here

#7    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 17 February 2002 - 12:35 AM

Maybe the Swans are having a giggle *pretending* to be dragged underwater and then resurfacing out of view to play a trick on us...
...now where did i put the medication, hmmm...

never take me too seriously

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users