Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Happy Lughnasadh

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 10,539 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:59 PM

August 1th is middle summer festival.  It is a day of feasting on the fruits of mid-summer.  It celebrates the Celtic God Lugh (loo) the many skilled.  He is the master of crafts, warfare and magic.  

My turn to be High Priest at my coven celebration wish me luck. grin2.gif

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#2    Mr Supertypo

Mr Supertypo

Hi...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

• not for nothing, but you sound like a half [...]

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:50 PM

well yes happy 1th agust  grin2.gif

and good luck with your priest duty  thumbsup.gif

how about if you write something about your experience?  original.gif

Finally got my black belt....

#3    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:17 PM

HUZZAY! It's Lughnasadh!

Again, the lack of conveniant transportation and a lack of mate caring about holidays of any kind... I am.. spending it alone.  Which is nothing new X)

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#4    zandore

zandore

EX-Christian

• 9,640 posts

• I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.
    Genghis Khan

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:59 PM

Happy Happy!

Hey SC Sorry to hear that and consider it his loss.

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy,
education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary.
Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear
of punishment and hope of reward after death."

Albert Einstein

Survey Says....

#5    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

• 10,539 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 04:17 AM

how about if you write something about your experience?  original.gif

The actual workings of a coven are generally secret.  But I can tell you what happens at a Lughnasadh (loo na saw)  celebration.  You celebrate the summer harvest of berries, corn, and summer vegatables.  So you put them on the alter.  You make a cornbread man that represents the God Lugh (loo).  As you pass Lugh around and eat him you talk about what you are thankful in your life.  (I must say, I made the cornbread man and he turned out looking like Mr. Bill. "0000 Mr. Hand don't eat me OOOOO....) grin2.gif  Different covens do different things. Some dance and sing. All in all it is fun and serious at the same time.

Edited by Darkwind, 02 August 2005 - 04:19 AM.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#6    The Raven

The Raven

Wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 04:36 AM

QUOTE(Darkwind @ Aug 2 2005, 12:17 AM)
how about if you write something about your experience?  original.gif

The actual workings of a coven are generally secret.  But I can tell you what happens at a Lughnasadh (loo na saw)  celebration.  You celebrate the summer harvest of berries, corn, and summer vegatables.  So you put them on the alter.  You make a cornbread man that represents the God Lugh (loo).  As you pass Lugh around and eat him you talk about what you are thankful in your life.  (I must say, I made the cornbread man and he turned out looking like Mr. Bill. "0000 Mr. Hand don't eat me OOOOO....) grin2.gif  Different covens do different things. Some dance and sing. All in all it is fun and serious at the same time.

View Post

This sounds so peaceful and enjoyable that it pains me to remember how many people think it is the work of the devil (Anything to do with this and other festivals/holidays/religions). Never knew corn bread was Satanic.   tongue.gif

Is this a specific religion's holiday or just Celtic?

Edited by The Raven, 02 August 2005 - 04:37 AM.

Baron Wormser said:

What brought me to the woods was the longing to be with words in an undistracted place. 'Woods' and 'words' were almost identical.

Wayfarer - A Journey in Thought and Creation

#7    Lady Valkyrie

Lady Valkyrie

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 120 posts

• Being Unstable & Bitchy Is All A Part Of My Mystique

Posted 02 August 2005 - 04:40 AM

Had a wonderful Lammas! I hope all fellow Pagans who celebrate Lammas had a great one! Brightest Blessings Everyone!

#8    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

• 10,539 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 05:59 AM

It is a holiday of the ancient Celts and Gauls. Remember the Celts were not just in Ireland, but in all the British Isles and in Europe. Ireland was the last strong hold.    
Neo Celtic Pagans are bring back the old customs and the old religious holidays.  So for me it is very much a religious holiday. It is a cross quarter holiday so it is not a high holy day like Samhain (sow win) but a holiday none the less. Lugh is a God and a hero and on this day he is worshiped, this is his day.  To the Celts Mid summer is the beginning of the end of summer.  The God is old and is beginning to die.  The next holiday is Samhain when he enters the world of dead.  The Goddess is very sad and winter begins.  But there is hope, the Goddess carries the seed of the God in her womb.  On Yule the the Goddess give birth to the God.  The holidays follow the increase and decrease of the day. Which was very important to farm people.  Our monthly worship follows the Moon, Full Moon and New Moon.  The God is represented by the Sun and the Goddess by the Moon.    There is more, a lot more but it has been a big day for me and it is time to take my meds and hit the bed.  sleepy.gif

#9    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:03 AM

[qipte]Remember the Celts were not just in Ireland[/quote]

When I think celtic, I tend to think Scotland before I think Ireland huh.gif Maybe I'm just arrogant or something huh.gif

Anyway, sounds fun...although there is something morbid about passing around a little cornbread man and eating him tongue.gif

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#10    mako

mako

Poltergeist

• 2,770 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 11:45 AM

When I think celtic, I tend to think Scotland before I think Ireland  Maybe I'm just arrogant or something

Sera, just remember the old saying, "God made the Scots, just a wee bit better!" LOL, as one Scot (even if I am the Yank variety) to another, the Scot is the epitamy of the Celt!  yes.gif  

Our earth is degenerate in these latter days.  There are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end.  Bribery and corruption are common,   Children no longer obey their parents.  Every man wants to write a book, and the end of the world evidently is approaching.
                    Assyrian tablet circa 2800 BCE

#11    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

• 10,539 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:06 PM

When I think celtic, I tend to think Scotland before I think Ireland Maybe I'm just arrogant or something

Like I said they were through out the British Isles. (In the States most people associate Celtic with Ireland.)  I know one Celtic Pagan that follows Welsh traditions and they are different from Irish and Scot traditions.  People of ancient times were much more regional than they are today.  I don't know if Modern transportation is a curse or a wonder.  On one hand I can jump a plane and go see Seraphina in a matter of hours; on the other hand we got McDonalds on every corner all over the world and unbreathable air.
So yes Seraphina my love, you are a Celt. yes.gif

Passing around a cornbread man and eating him is better than passing around a Christian and eating him.  Becides Christians tend to be tough.

Edited by Darkwind, 02 August 2005 - 02:09 PM.

#12    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 08:59 PM

[quote=Seraphina,Aug 2 2005, 06:03 AM]
[qipte]Remember the Celts were not just in Ireland[/quote]

When I think celtic, I tend to think Scotland before I think Ireland huh.gif Maybe I'm just arrogant or something huh.gif

Anyway, sounds fun...although there is something morbid about passing around a little cornbread man and eating him tongue.gif
[right]View Post[/right]
[/quote]

Funny.. when I think Celtic.. I think Ireland, Whales, Isle of Man, little corner of France, thenScotland...

laugh.gif  But maybe I'm just arrogant!

*cackles and runs*

(I should hope I don't have to place this "I'm Joking" sign up for some people)

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and

#13    mako

mako

Poltergeist

• 2,770 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 09:14 PM

*cackles and runs*

Ye better run, ye sassinach (forgive me Sera if I misspell it, but me heart is the the right place)!  Ye'll have the Clans after ye! LOL laugh.gif

Our earth is degenerate in these latter days.  There are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end.  Bribery and corruption are common,   Children no longer obey their parents.  Every man wants to write a book, and the end of the world evidently is approaching.
                    Assyrian tablet circa 2800 BCE

#14    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE(mako @ Aug 2 2005, 09:14 PM)
*cackles and runs*

Ye better run, ye sassinach (forgive me Sera if I misspell it, but me heart is the the right place)!  Ye'll have the Clans after ye! LOL laugh.gif

View Post

Good... My kilt collection needs some more in it. X)

*humms the Drunken Scotsman song*

#15    Shadowsleet

Shadowsleet

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

• I don't care about breeding. A sword doesn't need a fine lineage, it just needs to be sharp.

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:19 PM

Hey now, only I get to hum the drunken Scotsman song!

"In battle, no move your opponent makes is trivial."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users