Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Hiroshima shadows

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#46    Isis Tharen

Isis Tharen

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:06 AM

piercing_maniac on Aug 6 2005, 07:15 AM, said:

It was such a terrible thing... killing alot of innocent people, but times CAN and HAVE changed.

I do not mean to be rude..but where are you living?? People are still killing each other...innocent people are being killed everyday. Humans are blood thirst, we have always had murder and war and always will.

Mulder: "All new truths begin as heresy and inner superstitions. We fear the unknown, so we reduce it to the terms that are most familiar to us. Whether that's a folk tale....a disease....or a conspiracy!"

4X04 Teliko  X-Files

#47    DorothyGail

DorothyGail

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

• Its a damn poor mind that can spell a word only one way. - Andrew Jackson

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:26 PM

The shadows were not just of people and objects.  The pattern of this woman's kimono was seared onto her flesh.  It was a horrible use of man's power.  The flip side is that, while the US killed 200,000 people with the two bombs, the alternative was an invasion of the mainland.  The months leading up to that would have seen a continuation of the firebombing of major Japanese cities, which was estimated to be killing 250,000 people per month.  Additionally, the invasion itself would have claimed about one million Japanese lives.  

The US Secretary of War at the time, Henry Stimson said, "The face of war is the face of death."  There is nothing pretty about the mass slaughter of human beings.  And the fact that the more 'advanced' man becomes in weaponry, the more civilians will pay the cost.  Hiroshima and Nagasaki were big enough single events to capture the attention of the world, but the problem goes far beyond these two dates.

linked-image

#48    Isis Tharen

Isis Tharen

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:21 AM

That poor women. No one should have to go through that....

Mulder: "All new truths begin as heresy and inner superstitions. We fear the unknown, so we reduce it to the terms that are most familiar to us. Whether that's a folk tale....a disease....or a conspiracy!"

4X04 Teliko  X-Files

#49    Undeadskeptic

Undeadskeptic

Government Agent

• 3,628 posts

• What happened to the American dream? It came true, you're lookin' at it.

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:21 AM

Incorrigible1 on Apr 3 2008, 08:05 AM, said:

Seek out and read a copy of Iris Chang's "Rape of Nanking." You'll learn just how brutal a nation can be.

I will. Wait, is it depressing?

Jesus, I was evil

#50    Incorrigible1

Incorrigible1

Government Agent

• 3,393 posts

• Champanya?

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:39 AM

Undeadskeptic on Apr 4 2008, 03:21 AM, said:

I will. Wait, is it depressing?

In the extreme. I'd say brutalities of war, but "war" is stretching the point.

http://www.amazon.com/Rape-Nanking-Forgott...5457&sr=1-1

"China has endured much hardship in its history, as Iris Chang shows in her ably researched The Rape of Nanking, a book that recounts the horrible events in that eastern Chinese city under Japanese occupation in the late 1930s. Nanking, she writes, served as a kind of laboratory in which Japanese soldiers were taught to slaughter unarmed, unresisting civilians, as they would later do throughout Asia. Likening their victims to insects and animals, the Japanese commanders orchestrated a campaign in which several hundred thousand--no one is sure just how many--Chinese soldiers and noncombatants alike were killed."

If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money that it values more, it will lose that too. -- W. Somerset Maugham
Posted Image

#51    Undeadskeptic

Undeadskeptic

Government Agent

• 3,628 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:14 PM

Oh. Excuse me while I jump off a tall building.

*Neeeeeeeyooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - SPLAT*

Jesus, I was evil

#52    Fugabutacus

Fugabutacus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 04:08 PM

It was such a terrible thing... killing alot of innocent people, but times CAN and HAVE changed.

--

Have changed? The Doomsday clock has been moved up to 5 minutes to midnight because of the increasing threat of a new nuclear age...

Also, I used this in my blog hope no one minds: http://theurbanbee.blogspot.com/

#53    Undeadskeptic

Undeadskeptic

Government Agent

• 3,628 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:19 PM

No one will mind original.gif

Jesus, I was evil

#54    Siara

Siara

Alien Abducter

• 4,427 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 06:32 PM

NirmalaMaya on Aug 2 2005, 11:18 AM, said:

This is going to be kind of hard to explain.
When I was in the 5th or 6th grade we had a substitute teacher. A very animate man with long hair, very effeminate. But we all loved him and enjoyed having him as our sub!

Anyhow, he told us a story once during our history lesson. He said he had visited the city of Hiroshima (or what was Hiroshima?) and that the shadows of the people remained as they were at the very moment the bomb hit. The shadows still existed, and hadnt moved.

Im not sure if this is an urban legend, true, or just some story he made up. Ive tried researching it, but cant find much.

It's absolutely true.  I've been to Hiroshima and seen it first-hand.  A sobering sight.

#55    tubbs

tubbs

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:22 AM

NirmalaMaya on Aug 2 2005, 06:18 AM, said:

This is going to be kind of hard to explain.
When I was in the 5th or 6th grade we had a substitute teacher. A very animate man with long hair, very effeminate. But we all loved him and enjoyed having him as our sub!

Anyhow, he told us a story once during our history lesson. He said he had visited the city of Hiroshima (or what was Hiroshima?) and that the shadows of the people remained as they were at the very moment the bomb hit. The shadows still existed, and hadnt moved.

Im not sure if this is an urban legend, true, or just some story he made up. Ive tried researching it, but cant find much.

Any help?

dontgetit.gif

Yes , actually they are real my grandfather wnet and said they were there, but idk if it true though.

#56    NightWyvern

NightWyvern

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 07:41 PM

this is true,you can see shadows of people that disentegrated very fast.

#57    Pol_Pot_will_killyou

Pol_Pot_will_killyou

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:25 AM

At least at Pearl Harbor most of the people that died were soldiers... dropping a bomb like that on civilians is vile.

-Pol

#58    Ecchi

Ecchi

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:53 AM

Well after viewing the pics theres no doubt this is true.But how did peoples shadows actually burn into the ground?

Posted Image

#59    Roughneck

Roughneck

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 343 posts

• Certainly no potato.

Posted 29 April 2008 - 03:55 AM

Pol_Pot_will_killyou on Apr 28 2008, 10:25 PM, said:

At least at Pearl Harbor most of the people that died were soldiers... dropping a bomb like that on civilians is vile.

-Pol

You do know what a total war is, right?  If by innocent you mean "they have yet to pick up those rifles and pitchforks they were ordered and told to pick up when allies land for the invasion of Japan," then yeah, they're innocent.  But they're no more innocent than American civilians working in the factories to build bombs and bullets, or German civilians working to build poison gases to exterminate the Jewish population, or Soviet citizens for building their tanks.  Though one can never be sure without it actually having happened, there is reasonable evidence to suggest that an invasion of Japan would've cost more lives, both civilian and military than the two bombs dropped on Nagasaki and Hiroshima did.  We know how the Japanese fought for those secluded Pacific islands, we know how they told their citizens to commit suicide rather than be captured by the Americans because they were told the Americans would rape and murder them, so how do you think they would've fought for their home?

Can you honestly blame a nation for trying to save the lives of their own people if it meant using the nuclear weapons to end that brutal war?

But hey, if you like the brutality of conventional and non-conventional tactics the Japanese used and think it would've been a fun time if we had instead invaded Japan, then I'm sure not dropping the two bombs to end the war as quickly as possible seems like a good idea to you.

People forget, this was a world war.  There is no nice guy or bad guy.  The nations involved were in a state of total war.  Total war is a conflict of unlimited scope in which a faction mobilizes all available resources in order to destroy their rival's ability to defend themselves.  In a total war, every person from a particular country, civilians and soldiers alike, are considered to be acceptable targets (both by the Axis and Allies).  That means factories that were once used to make refrigerators, are converted to make bombs.  Factories that were once used to make bug-sprays are converted to make poison gas.  And guess who makes those weapons?  You got it, the innocent civilians.

War is bad.  Always has been, always will be.  I guess you're right, though.  We are vile in that we're human.

Edited by Roughneck, 29 April 2008 - 03:56 AM.

You point a finger back far enough and some germ gets blamed for splitting into two.

#60    --Mandalore--

--Mandalore--

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

• Mishuk gotal'u meshuroke, pako kyore. - "Pressure makes gems, ease makes decay."- Mandalorian Proverb

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:08 AM

Pol_Pot_will_killyou on Apr 28 2008, 11:25 PM, said:

-Pol

And the attack on Pearl Harbor wasn't vile? huh.gif
BTW, that's war for ya.

"I am that which grips the heart in fright, Harkens night and silences the light..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users