Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Speed of Light Broken

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1    God18

God18

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 08:10 AM

An experiment in which a pulse of light shot into a tunnel went thorugh it so fast that it appeared to exit before it even entered. It was sent through 300 times faster than the speed of light. This all took place 3 years ago.

Link 1
Link 2

#2    antares

antares

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 295 posts

• Cor Scorpii

Posted 15 July 2003 - 03:44 PM

God18,
Here is a short citation from the Link 1 you posted. I think it holds the essence of this experiment and I completely agree with prof. McPhedran that we are talking about two different velocities here....

"Physicists have often believed that the velocity of a pulse of light is the same as the velocity of the message it carries but what this experiment has shown is that they are two separate things," says Professor McPhedran.

Interesting results...

#3    Kaj

Kaj

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 04:11 PM

Quote:
This is just as well, says Professor McPhedran, because if they had it would have posed real problems for our notion of what makes up the past, present and future as illustrated by the 'grandfather paradox'. This 'thought experiment' used to illustrate Einstein's theory of special relativity, involves an astronaut making a round trip in a faster-than-light spacecraft, arriving back on Earth many years in the past, and killing his grandfather. How, then, can the astronaut exist at all?

This, say the textbooks, is precisely the kind of absurdity that makes it impossible for any matter or information to travel faster than the speed of light.
End of quote.

Not impossible, I say, We just cant cope with it, Same sort of thougt that the neverending universe/space/room/emptiness gives.

We are just farts in space and time.

Be nice !

#4    dust19

dust19

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 04:46 PM

ever find it interesting that the human mind can only go so far with rational explainations and theorizing. But when you go to a certain point, it all just goes down the drain and we just cannot comprehend it. The limit of our mind (at it's current state) has been reached.

#5    Kaj

Kaj

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 03:06 PM

Exactly what I was talking about.
Then what would happen to a human in, and above, the speed of light can be discussed. Only theories there too.
Maybe brake into atoms...or just maybe rewinding time for that human.

Be nice !

#6    Metalix Knightmare

Metalix Knightmare

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 144 posts

• Sanity is but a crutch for those who can't handle reality...

Posted 29 August 2003 - 02:09 AM

Heh! thanks! This will do great for my current event at school.

#7    spyro_86

spyro_86

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

• If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Posted 29 August 2003 - 07:45 PM

Yeah recently in one of my popular science magazines i read that  they decided to call it the speed of gravity.

The moment you are born you begin to die. The lesson is life is unfair.

#8    j6p

j6p

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 30 August 2003 - 10:33 PM

Well here's the way I see it wink2.gif
We are all in this car called the universe. The fuel tank is full. We are speeding along at full throttle, pedal to the metal. We as passengers can not go any faster than the vehicle we are traveling in. In order to go faster we would need more energy than the vehicle has in total so we can not go faster that our vehicle is traveling.
What this means to me is that our vehicle is traveling at the speed of light and nothing can go faster than that thumbsup.gif

(PS....Thanks Allie)  

#9    Kaj

Kaj

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 12:24 AM

QUOTE (j6p @ Aug 30 2003, 10:33 PM)
Well here's the way I see it wink2.gif
We are all in this car called the universe. The fuel tank is full. We are speeding along at full throttle, pedal to the metal. We as passengers can not go any faster than the vehicle we are traveling in. In order to go faster we would need more energy than the vehicle has in total so we can not go faster that our vehicle is traveling.
What this means to me is that our vehicle is traveling at the speed of light and nothing can go faster than that thumbsup.gif

(PS....Thanks Allie)

Hmmmm......

Ok...Iīm sitting in that car....and i take out a gun and fire it forward.

Be nice !

#10    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 01:00 AM

Kaj, a gun fires bullets. A car traveling at the speed of light is faster than a bullet. If you took out a gun and  fired it, the car would go past the bullet at the speed of light. The bullet would go through the car as if the bullet was fired at the car.

A better question to ask would be if you turned on the cars headlights, since those lights would travel at the speed of light--ahead of the car. However that light would travel at the same speed as the car, and not any faster.

That being said, photons can be manipulated in particle accelerators to travel at speeds in excess of light speed.

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#11    Kaj

Kaj

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE (Homer @ Aug 31 2003, 01:00 AM)
Kaj, a gun fires bullets. A car traveling at the speed of light is faster than a bullet. If you took out a gun and  fired it, the car would go past the bullet at the speed of light. The bullet would go through the car as if the bullet was fired at the car.

A better question to ask would be if you turned on the cars headlights, since those lights would travel at the speed of light--ahead of the car. However that light would travel at the same speed as the car, and not any faster.

That being said, photons can be manipulated in particle accelerators to travel at speeds in excess of light speed.

disgust.gif It was not "a gun" I really was talking about. cuz I donīt think J6P really was talking about "a car" either.
It was just a figure of speach.
translating the subject into something that is easier to imagine.

Be nice !

#12    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 01:38 AM

Unfortunately, it wasn't easier to imagine.
j6p clearly stated:
our vehicle is traveling at the speed of light and nothing can go faster than that  thumbsup.gif

So, although we know he wasn't referring to a car, he was referring to a 'vehicle' which was traveling at the speed of light. His argument was that nothing could go faster than that vehicle, since nothing can travel in excess of light speed.

Your argument was that if a gun(or any projectile) was fired from the vehicle, shooting foward, it would be faster than the vehicle due to it's reference point being the vehicle itself.

I was merely pointing out that, using light itself as the 'projectile', a better question would be asked, and I am right. My analogy is also right. The vehicle travels at light speed, and turns it headlights on(obviously this implies it has mass, and nothing with mass can obtain light speed. However, this is theoretical analogy that is valid for this discussion). The vehicle is traveling at 186,000 miles/sec. in a vacuum. The photons from it's headlights are also traveling at 186,000 miles/sec., with the vehicle as the reference point. Since the speed of light is constant in a vacuum, the photons from the headlights can't 'outrun' the vehicle.

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#13    Allie

Allie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 06:08 AM

QUOTE (j6p @ Aug 30 2003, 06:33 PM)
(PS....Thanks Allie)

Awwww!!!! You're welcome.
I'm glad you're back.  grin2.gif

#14    Kaj

Kaj

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE (Homer @ Sep 1 2003, 01:38 AM)
Your argument was that if a gun(or any projectile) was fired from the vehicle, shooting foward, it would be faster than the vehicle due to it's reference point being the vehicle itself.

Ok Homer, you are prob, right. original.gif
Canīt argue on that.

Be nice !

#15    God18

God18

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 10:30 AM

Its been proven that we can accelrate information faster than the speed of light....what happens when we learn to transform oursleves into information.....  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users