Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Which is the strongest emotion, love or hate?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#16    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 18,725 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:47 PM

Hmm...

I would have to say that love is a lot more invasive than hate.  It tends to reach deeper into the spirit of a person than hate does.  At the same time though, it is far more brittle, and can be rather easily destroyed.

Hate is a shallower emotion, generally speaking.  It can be reasoned with, unlike love.  It is also far more flexible, so it tends to linger.

Man, this thread isn't going to be resolved anytime soon!

#17    iaapac

iaapac

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

• The only difference between genius and ignorance is that genius has a limit

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:49 PM

Hmmm . . . . how many of these opinions are formed from experiences with real love?  On the other hand, how many of you have really hated someone or somthing?  I mean downright killing hate!

#18    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 18,725 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:53 PM

I've experience the love when I had to search for my missing goddaughter.  I experienced the hate in a barfight.  That is where my opinions come from.

#19    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,714 posts

• The giving of love is an education in itself.
    ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:02 PM

Iaapaac you have a point  I have had personal experience of hate transcending into love I mean Hate  of the killing kind I know love to transcend anything, Didn't the expereince of Jesus transcend hate or how about Ghandi How about Martin Luther, these people so beleived in love they were willing to die I say wow also no two expressions of love are the same love can't hardly be defined hate can and its the same descriptions, Namaste Sheri

#20    iaapac

iaapac

Psychic Spy

• 1,422 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:07 PM

Herman Proust once said that "love makes you want to die and hate makes you want to kill."  

Love is self-directed, internal and consuming.  Hate extends outward, directed toward others as an expression of its force.

Because love is so personal, it has little dynamics when related to others with the exception of the person loved.  With hate, however, the impact can be felt and seen by all and can have its own level of devastation.

We can, of course, analyze the all-embracing love such as Mother Theresa but did it change the course of anything?  But the hate of one fired worker returning with a shotgun to the workplace is common and touches many, including the innocent.

#21    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,714 posts

• The giving of love is an education in itself.
    ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE(iaapac @ Aug 12 2005, 03:07 PM)
Herman Proust once said that "love makes you want to die and hate makes you want to kill." 

Love is self-directed, internal and consuming.  Hate extends outward, directed toward others as an expression of its force.

Because love is so personal, it has little dynamics when related to others with the exception of the person loved.  With hate, however, the impact can be felt and seen by all and can have its own level of devastation.

We can, of course, analyze the all-embracing love such as Mother Theresa but did it change the course of anything?  But the hate of one fired worker returning with a shotgun to the workplace is common and touches many, including the innocent.

View Post

Good point and it would appear that Jesus life didn't change anything but ghandi brought peace to a country by demonstrating peace Martin luther created the civil rights movement how much has racism come its not completely gone but its getting better I think Jesus raised conciousness gave people something to strive towards not the bible Jesus but the Jesus outside of religious construct what do you think???Namaste Sheri

#22    hyperactive

hyperactive

abu gaia

• 5,691 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:35 PM

"love makes you want to die and hate makes you want to kill."  
this is a very limited view for love can just as easily make you want to kill, and hate make you want to die.

hate can be just as personal and internal as hate, and love can be driven forth to destroy.

sherri: jusus did not introduce anything new to the world, although he may have brought it to a new audience.  it is al a matter of perspective if jesus raised anything other than false-hopes.

the problem is that love/hate is like good/evil = a human construct that has no basis other than in categorization.  the represent the same underlying reality, but are merely labels of convenience.

"He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool - shun him.
He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple - teach him.
He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep - awaken him.
He who knows and knows that he knows, he is wise - follow him. "
Arabia

#23    iaapac

iaapac

Psychic Spy

• 1,422 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 12:05 AM

Please, let's don't dare equate love and hate with good and evil.  I don't know why we always have to be drawn off onto tht track.

Sheri, I would agree with you, but I am not sure that Ghandi operated out of love but more of a fierce determination.  At the same time, I think Jesus and the Bible provide more constructive guidelines than either provides examples.

#24    hyperactive

hyperactive

abu gaia

• 5,691 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 12:28 AM

Please, let's don't dare equate love and hate with good and evil. I don't know why we always have to be drawn off onto tht track.

please don't deny love/hate is just an artificial human construct!

unless you are of course just refering to biological drives to reproduce, that is!

Arabia

#25    isis-999

isis-999

Goddess Of Darkness and Desire

• 5,312 posts

• The Bestowed Eye's of my God, Eye's of my past, lover of my future.. A Thousand's lifes all to live this One...The Steel Circle,

Posted 13 August 2005 - 01:35 AM

LOVE.. It can heal all wounds, make all pain go away, It can last from one live to the next, with out love the world would be a very empty place to be.! wub.gif

Posted Image
THE BESTOWED EYE'S OF MY GOD... GODDESS OF DESIRE....http://paranormalborder.net/index/
Sig By: Arsenik...... My Favorite vampire!!

#26    LarryOldtimer

LarryOldtimer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

• In the beginning, there was nothing. God said, "Let there be light." There still was nothing, but you could see it better.

Posted 13 August 2005 - 01:49 AM

I may be emotionally defective, but I have experienced hate only for brief moments . . . where I felt like killing someone, and it soon passed.  Life is too short to waste hating people.  Now I do detest and loath some people (mostly politicians  grin2.gif  ), but that is different from hate.  I have loved, and do love, per Robert Heinlein's definition:  "Love is that state where one person's happiness is essential to your own."  Of course, I have felt lust, who hasn't, as it is quite natural?

I think that love is the more powerful . . . people have willingly sacrificed themselves for people they love, which is far more hard to do, I think, than killing someone else (or committing suicide for some ridiculous religious cause, as those who do that think that they will get great rewards in the hereafter for doing so.)  Some may indeed die in the process of killing someone they hate, but I think that that possibility isn't thought of at the time.

One of the most basic reasons that love can turn to hate, I think, is that when an individual loves someone, that individual trusts the loved one, and expects reciprocation.  When that trust is violated, the individual feels betrayed, and that leads to hatred of the previous loved one.  ("How could you do that to me?")  We expect strangers to do that which is not in our best interests, but we don't expect it from loved ones.

#27    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,671 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 13 August 2005 - 02:04 AM

The strongest emotion is sex.  But hate is easier than love.  Love is better than hate.  But hate is easier to do.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#28    hyperactive

hyperactive

abu gaia

• 5,691 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 02:26 AM

joc, why do you say hate is easier to do?  if hate is easier to do it is only because that is how people have been conditioned to think.

Arabia

#29    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,671 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 13 August 2005 - 03:17 AM

I say that because hate is a negative emotion.  Love is a positive emotion.  
The majority of people have negative mindsets do they not?  

It is easier to think negatively than positively.  Therefore, it is easier to hate than to love.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#30    hyperactive

hyperactive

abu gaia

• 5,691 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 03:32 AM

if people have negative mindsets it is entirely because of conditioning.

all these constructs such as love/hate are learned.  they are also relative (again).

i think devoting energy to be against something is harder than devoting enery to balance.  why waste energy?  it usually happens because people are too egocentric (and it is easy to be so - after all, you are the centre of your own experiences).  recognizing one's real relation with the world is important for then all this silly talk of love/hate will fall away.

Arabia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users