Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Aliens - What do you think they are


  • Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

Poll: What are the 'aliens' that are seen? (114 member(s) have cast votes)

What are the 'aliens' that are seen?

  1. Visitors from another planet (58 votes [50.88%])

    Percentage of vote: 50.88%

  2. Time travelers from our future (9 votes [7.89%])

    Percentage of vote: 7.89%

  3. Inter-Dimensional Travelers (15 votes [13.16%])

    Percentage of vote: 13.16%

  4. Original inhabitants of Atlantis (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  5. Government Cover-Up (planted memories) (1 votes [0.88%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.88%

  6. Subconsious contact from the spirit plane (4 votes [3.51%])

    Percentage of vote: 3.51%

  7. Figments of our overactive imagination (14 votes [12.28%])

    Percentage of vote: 12.28%

  8. Other (13 votes [11.40%])

    Percentage of vote: 11.40%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31    Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith

    Dirt Eater

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Joined:11 Oct 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Above the left and right.

  • Anger is a wind which blows out the lamp of the mind.
    -Robert Green Ingersoll

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:35 AM

The last aliens I ran into told me they were figments of my imagination. Then they mowed my lawn.  :alien:


#32    MID

MID

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 14,490 posts
  • Joined:06 Aug 2005
  • Gender:Male

  • ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:41 AM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 12 July 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

Of course I can imagine civilizations less developed than ours, but we are not likely to see them or have any contact, which is certainly for the best.  This is why I believe that a Prime Directive type of law is indeed logical, since history shows conclusively that contact between advanced and less developed societies can be a total disaster for the latter.



I think you mean to state that contact with a less developed society might be bad for the less developed one.

However, I would like to see a precedent in human and alien social context which illustrates that idea.




It also shows that ruling elites in societies that make contact will often be eager to acquire the technology and ideas of the more advanced civilization, and use it to enhance their own wealth and power, maintain social control over their populations, and for self-defense as well as committing aggression against their neighbors.

Think of what Imperial Japan did when it acquired Western science, technology and weapons in the 19th Century. Unlike most countries, it did not become a colony but one of the colonizers. I have a sense that earth would follow the Japanese way if it made contact with advanced civilizations from "somewhere outside".


#33    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 4,159 posts
  • Joined:30 Jun 2012

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:03 AM

View PostMr. Smith, on 23 October 2012 - 12:35 AM, said:

The last aliens I ran into told me they were figments of my imagination. Then they mowed my lawn.  :alien:

You are a figment of my imagination.


#34    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 4,159 posts
  • Joined:30 Jun 2012

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:14 AM

View PostMID, on 23 October 2012 - 12:41 AM, said:

I think you mean to state that contact with a less developed society might be bad for the less developed one.

However, I would like to see a precedent in human and alien social context which illustrates that idea.

It also shows that ruling elites in societies that make contact will often be eager to acquire the technology and ideas of the more advanced civilization, and use it to enhance their own wealth and power, maintain social control over their populations, and for self-defense as well as committing aggression against their neighbors.

Think of what Imperial Japan did when it acquired Western science, technology and weapons in the 19th Century. Unlike most countries, it did not become a colony but one of the colonizers. I have a sense that earth would follow the Japanese way if it made contact with advanced civilizations from "somewhere outside".


I've mentioned the examples of Prussia and post-Meiji Japan on here as exceptions in which highly militaristic and authoritarian elites adopted the most modern technology and weapons, and became imperialist powers in their own right.  Russia did this as well, not only under Lenin and Stalin but going back to Peter the Great.  Given the nature of the world system, their rulers figured it was better to eat than to be eaten, and for all I know the whole galaxy works the same way.

Turkey under Ataturk was another example of this type of authoritarian, top-down modernization, and so was South Korea under Gen. Park.  

They could all look at the example of other countries that became colonies, or the indigenous peoples of the Americas and Australia as examples of societies that could not defend themselves from being taken over--they were exterminated or became slaves.


So yes, history has many examples of authoritarian, modernizing elites that decided they had to catch up with the stronger imperial powers or go under forever.  In the 20th Century, this was done in the name of ideologies like communism, fascism, nationalism and so on, but many countries followed the earlier examples.  I think that there are also regressive and anti-modernizing forces at the same time, which makes things more complex.

Could I picture something like this happening with aliens and earthly elites making some kind of deal?  Sure, and in fact I think things like that have happened, although it's not easy to prove.


#35    s33ker

s33ker

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Joined:21 Aug 2012
  • Location:Australia

  • Believe anything until proven otherwise, otherwise believe nothing until proven.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:33 AM

I voted another planet. Betty Hill drew a star system after her abduction that was not discovered until
years after. She said that they showed her .


#36    MID

MID

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 14,490 posts
  • Joined:06 Aug 2005
  • Gender:Male

  • ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:16 AM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 23 October 2012 - 01:14 AM, said:

I've mentioned the examples of Prussia and post-Meiji Japan on here as exceptions in which highly militaristic and authoritarian elites adopted the most modern technology and weapons, and became imperialist powers in their own right.  Russia did this as well, not only under Lenin and Stalin but going back to Peter the Great.  Given the nature of the world system, their rulers figured it was better to eat than to be eaten, and for all I know the whole galaxy works the same way.

Turkey under Ataturk was another example of this type of authoritarian, top-down modernization, and so was South Korea under Gen. Park.  

They could all look at the example of other countries that became colonies, or the indigenous peoples of the Americas and Australia as examples of societies that could not defend themselves from being taken over--they were exterminated or became slaves.


So yes, history has many examples of authoritarian, modernizing elites that decided they had to catch up with the stronger imperial powers or go under forever.  In the 20th Century, this was done in the name of ideologies like communism, fascism, nationalism and so on, but many countries followed the earlier examples.  I think that there are also regressive and anti-modernizing forces at the same time, which makes things more complex.

Could I picture something like this happening with aliens and earthly elites making some kind of deal?  Sure, and in fact I think things like that have happened, although it's not easy to prove.


Well, I asked specifically for illustrations of alien / human social interractions.  
Alot of words have basically said little in reply to my request.


You don't have anything to answer my query, which was instrumental  You cite potentials and possibilities that are unsubstantiated, and understandably do not post  answers to my questions, understandably, because we have nothing to spport the contention that advanced alien society interacting with less developed humanity would be bad for humanity.


Thank you.  Although, I knew that the contention was bad initially.


#37    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 17,196 posts
  • Joined:15 Feb 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Planet TEXAS

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:28 AM

Theres  no Good or bad contentions ITs all speculation on our part. As Mid well knows Man on this world is quite the piece of work ! In all areas Our Warlike mentality ,Overbearing way of life,Even the more evolved of us  All seem to never get a real grasp of What mankind really needs !
We need a bit of guidance ! I would be quite surprised If we make it another 200 years to be truthful ! And If we do Then just by chanch we might some day reach another Race of Evolving people ,creatures ,ect what evers.
ANyway It really shows us we need to work on our people Skills here first ! Aliens Are doing quite well on there own Time line ! Remember Space is Mind Boggleing Big ! :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#38    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 4,159 posts
  • Joined:30 Jun 2012

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:02 AM

View PostMID, on 23 October 2012 - 02:16 AM, said:

Well, I asked specifically for illustrations of alien / human social interractions.  
Alot of words have basically said little in reply to my request.


You don't have anything to answer my query, which was instrumental  You cite potentials and possibilities that are unsubstantiated, and understandably do not post  answers to my questions, understandably, because we have nothing to spport the contention that advanced alien society interacting with less developed humanity would be bad for humanity.


Thank you.  Although, I knew that the contention was bad initially.


I thought you were asking me for historical analogies related to how such a situation might develop, and I have many of those.  I could write all night about those, and I think it's a lot more than "nothing".

In fact, MID, I would say that no subject is more important than history.


#39    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 4,159 posts
  • Joined:30 Jun 2012

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:06 AM

After all, MID, you were the one who mentioned Japan after the Meiji Restoration in 1867, which is something I have already referred to a number of times here on UM.  I understand that as a historical analogy.

It's a good analogy, along with Russia under Peter the Great and Turkey under Ataturk, if you catch my meaning here.

This is Ataturk in Western clothes, literally teaching the Turks the Latin alphabet.  Do you see what I'm getting at in trying to answer the question?  It's a lot more complicated than just borrowing machines and technology, and far more difficult if it's going to be done on a mass scale.  It would require a new mentality, a new language, a different education system, etc, etc.  Even a new vocabulary.

Do you see what I'm driving at here, MID?

Posted Image

Edited by TheMacGuffin, 23 October 2012 - 03:12 AM.


#40    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 4,159 posts
  • Joined:30 Jun 2012

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:14 AM

And to think that such new developments as alien contacts and exchanges could be kept covert indefinitely is not being realistic from a historical point of view, even though much of it has been up until now.  No one with any knowledge of history would imagine that could continue forever.


#41    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 4,159 posts
  • Joined:30 Jun 2012

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:22 AM

Those who could not adopt or make the transition to the next stage risk becoming marginalized or extinct.  History proves that time and time again.

Posted Image


#42    coolguy

coolguy

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts
  • Joined:06 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:east islip , new york

  • Star trek rules

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:25 AM

they come from other planets


#43    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

    “What’s wrong with accepting madness?

  • Member
  • 2,521 posts
  • Joined:29 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:A really cold region devoid of stars

  • The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:33 AM

View Posttexaskat, on 12 July 2012 - 04:43 AM, said:

I too because of the flag think it was faked.  I have an ex-husband somewhere that has a brother that works or retired by now as crew chief for the guppy.  He has met and talked to a lot of the astronauts.  Well aware of that picture, another was taken with a stick holding the flag out.  They tried all sorts of statements to deny the first picture with the wind blowing the flag.  There is wind up there but very little. Same man invented an instrument for measuring Moon Wind.  Didn't get anything for it but a pat on the back since he was employed by NASA when he did it.

Ex-husband's ex-wife was a contract specialist for NASA and was in charge of the case built to hold themoon rocks on display.  EX told me they looked like slag from the steel mill nearby.
texaskat
So your saying America never landed on the moon?? or am I reading this wrong

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#44    MID

MID

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 14,490 posts
  • Joined:06 Aug 2005
  • Gender:Male

  • ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:37 PM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 23 October 2012 - 02:28 AM, said:

Theres  no Good or bad contentions ITs all speculation on our part. As Mid well knows Man on this world is quite the piece of work ! In all areas Our Warlike mentality ,Overbearing way of life,Even the more evolved of us  All seem to never get a real grasp of What mankind really needs !
We need a bit of guidance ! I would be quite surprised If we make it another 200 years to be truthful ! And If we do Then just by chanch we might some day reach another Race of Evolving people ,creatures ,ect what evers.
ANyway It really shows us we need to work on our people Skills here first ! Aliens Are doing quite well on there own Time line ! Remember Space is Mind Boggleing Big ! :tu:


An interesting, if not certainly true posting, D.

:yes:


#45    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

    Forum Divinity

  • Closed
  • 13,536 posts
  • Joined:18 Aug 2010
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:42 AM

View Posts33ker, on 23 October 2012 - 01:33 AM, said:

I voted another planet. Betty Hill drew a star system after her abduction that was not discovered until
years after. She said that they showed her .

Have you seen this?



Just thought you'd like to see it if you haven't already. :)





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users