Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 6 votes

Local Legends in your area!

• Please log in to reply
402 replies to this topic

#391    Rory

Rory

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 127 posts

• Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Ro-ry!

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:01 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 30 November 2011 - 06:14 PM, said:

OMG Bells Row   lol Or as we called it - Bellsie

There was this old house that was half knocked down.. it was white..  and said to be haunted... We used to dare each other to go up to it...  I ran like the clappers from it...I was a kid and too stupid  ..back then I believed in every story told...Big sponge  lol

Now I am skeptical  of all the stories I heard back then... To me they are just stories...As for the Devils tree.. it was nothing more than a tale to scare folk

I suspect that those stories were passed on by our brothers and sisters to us to keep us out of there so they could perform illegal activities. lol

#392    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:26 PM

View PostRory, on 30 November 2011 - 09:01 PM, said:

I suspect that those stories were passed on by our brothers and sisters to us to keep us out of there so they could perform illegal activities. lol

Nah.... They were just stories.. People in nearly every town land will have some made up tales to scare folk...  I do not take them seriously.. . I did as a kids but that was a long time ago

I went to school with a girl who was killed on those railway tracks near Bells Row... I wouldn't be surprised if some people made up stories to say she walks the tracks  and can be seen at night... even though she was killed during the afternoon... But people will not stop with the stories to scare others

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 30 November 2011 - 11:27 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#393    95-Nasty

95-Nasty

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 256 posts

• Mom and daddy said "the life that you've led
    You'll party you're way straight to hell"

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:32 PM

We have a few down here in Torbay Devon, mainly ghosts.

Black House in Brixham

The Black House located in Brixham was originally built in the 14th Century. It was used by the monks as the St. Mary’s Church was being built. It may surprise you to learn that the building is in fact white, not black as the name suggests. Perhaps the name links to some deeper meaning!

There is apparently the ghost of a man from the 16th Century called Squire Hilliard that frequents the building. He looks for his son who tragically took his own life when he couldn’t marry the woman he loved. The Squire didn’t think the girl was suitable for his son and forced her to marry another man.

There are said to be very strange things that happen in the Black House on regular occurrences. Strange noises lurk in every corner, doors lock themselves when no one else is around and ghostly footsteps make the floorboards.

Is the Squire looking for eternal forgiveness and will his son give it to him?

Also, have heard that theres a cove here (i dont know what its called but from im told its fairly near Beacon Cove) theres a cave (very hard to get to, unless by sea). But i have been told (mainly by older local ex fishermen) The the cave is said to be haunted by the ghosts of pirates and at certin nights of the year, you can see fire light coming from the cave, some have told me theve even heard singing coming from the cave. When ive asked further about the coves name, i get various names as over the years the name changes!
I dunno its just some old fisherman stories, i think!

The gods you worship are steel, at the alter of Rock 'n Roll youl kneel.

Long live, long live the King of Mercy.

#394    Rory

Rory

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:26 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 30 November 2011 - 11:26 PM, said:

Nah.... They were just stories.. People in nearly every town land will have some made up tales to scare folk...  I do not take them seriously.. . I did as a kids but that was a long time ago

I went to school with a girl who was killed on those railway tracks near Bells Row... I wouldn't be surprised if some people made up stories to say she walks the tracks  and can be seen at night... even though she was killed during the afternoon... But people will not stop with the stories to scare others

Was that girl's surname Knox?

#395    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:54 PM

View PostRory, on 07 December 2011 - 06:26 PM, said:

Was that girl's surname Knox?

Elizabeth Knox yes..I knew her well

#396    Rory

Rory

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:42 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 09 December 2011 - 10:54 PM, said:

Elizabeth Knox yes..I knew her well

It's just her sister left in their old house. Alot of bad luck took place in her family. Her sister was down in my house a few weeks ago getting drunk with me.

#397    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:04 PM

View PostRory, on 10 December 2011 - 12:42 AM, said:

It's just her sister left in their old house. Alot of bad luck took place in her family. Her sister was down in my house a few weeks ago getting drunk with me.

I don't know her sister.. I only knew Elizabeth ......I remember when she was a child, so timid and shy.... What happened to her was an accident..

#398    Rory

Rory

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 13 December 2011 - 12:04 PM, said:

I don't know her sister.. I only knew Elizabeth ......I remember when she was a child, so timid and shy.... What happened to her was an accident..

Yeah I am aware of that. Not a believer in anything supernatural.

#399    jonasryck

jonasryck

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:16 PM

View PostKnowledgetruthfreedom, on 13 August 2005 - 08:36 AM, said:

What are local legends in your country, state, town, or area that you know, or have heard of? I am curious to see if any are similar in diffrent parts of the world to others.

Ill start, I live in colorado springs, Colorado. Theres a place called Helen Hunt falls and its said that if you go up there late at night and look, ull be able to ghost lights popping up and zooming around! Ive tried looking for them first hand, but i havent had any luck, bet yet the legend persists.

So if anyone has any legend that they know of, id be glad to hear it!

-Mateo
  hello, in my state have a legend like that of Bloody Mary. long time ago in a town called "Porto Alegre" was a woman named "Maria Francelina Trenes." summarizing the story: he was unjustly killed by her jealous husband, who with a dagger blow, decapitated it. Until this part, the story is real. Now the legend: they say that in a school near where she was killed, if you repeat three times "maria slain" in front of the mirror at midnight, she'll come and pull your head into the mirror. leaving only your decapitated body in the bathroom.

#400    trick_or_truth

trick_or_truth

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 28 posts

• "In wartime, truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies."

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:41 PM

Not sure if this counts as an "urban legend".

I spent most of my childhood in County Clare in Western Ireland in a place called Kilfenora.
I lived near the top of a place called Doon, which was called so as it was in fact a dún, (ring fort) although it had long since been covered in soil and now looked little more then a hill.
Although some remnants of the fort wall remained on the eastern side near the top.

Now as legend has it there is an entrance that leads you deep into the bowels of the fort itself,
hidden away from prying eyes is said to be a hoard of treasure buried deep within. It is said if one finds the entrance to the tunnels and ventures into the fort, they are never heard of again.

Now that is just what they say, although when I still lived there, I spoke to numerous family friends and farmers who have some sort of personal experience in this..usually being a "friend of a friend" or someone long since dead. But there was one person in particular an old irish farmer who told me that he has actually found the entrance into the fort purely by accident and he was stuck down in these tunnels for hours, before eventually finding his way out where he came about no harm. He said that while he was down there he felt the presence of something else with him whether it be otherwordly or not, who knows. He said after his experience he covered the hole he had filled in and to this day no one else has found there way down into the fort.
To give you a backdrop on the history surrounding Doon, It is thought that Fergus mac Róigh resided at the Doon hill fort (after which was named the Doon reel), above Kilfenora around the beginning of the Christian era.

Its hard to say how true this is as I have no personal experience in these tunnels although living extremely close to Doon I have had a few unusual occurences, one such instances was myself aand my brother seeing on the old road by Doon a dog very similar to an irish greyhound although when we shone our light at the dog it was completely see through, shortly afterwards it vanished into thin air. I have also heard talking which was barely understandable in the area, but found no one around at the time, in the same place as the talking I heard what could only been described as sanding wood or rasping wood.

Another prolific occurrence in the area is the Banshee and has been heard and apparently seen by many people very close to Doon.

"Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding."

#401    Sepium

Sepium

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

• The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any.

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

Where I live there's allegedly a giant mountain cat that resembles a panther. It roams the bush, but considering I live in Australia it doesn't seem realistic, although there have been sightings and photographs of it (I'm not convinced on their legitimacy).
I live near this place called Galston Gorge (you can google it and read about it's myths) but Ivan Milat dumped the bodies of two hitchhikers there in the 90's so it's got a really eeire vibe to it. The gorge itself is really dangerous to drive down so there have been numerous deaths resulting from crashes, and it runs through a popular hiking track that people have gone missing from. Legend has it that if you go over galston gorge bridge at night and turn your car off, when you turn your headlights back on the ghost of a hitchhiker will appear in front of your car. My brother and his friends tried it once but as they turned the car on they all felt strangely compelled to shut their eyes, even the driver shut his eyes as he drove off in a hurry, so they never got to see if someone appeared :/
On the same gorge there's a legend that if you're driving when it's raining and you look at this certain spot you'll see a man jumping off a cliff.

They're not great legends, but they're the ones in my area. I wish we had interesting legends :/

#402    redkite

redkite

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

@please-forgive-me...the cottingley fairies was about a couple of young sisters in cottingley,yorkshire who said they took photo's of some fairies down by a river which were published and even sir arthur conan doyle thought they were real,when the girls were older they said 1 or 2 of the fairies were real but the rest were fake but before the last sister passed away she supposedly confessed that it was all a hoax...just a quick rundown for you.

#403    GeoffM

GeoffM

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

Here in Buckinghamshire, England, we have alleged "Big Cats" similar in description to panthers. Seen by many people in the local countryside, and farmers have reported their animal stock mutilated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users