Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Gnosticisim and the Gnostic Gospels

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    JohnnyBoyC

JohnnyBoyC

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:19 AM

I have read SOME of the Gospel of Thomas. Some things in it are wise and some... are against fundamental Christianity. For those who do not know. The Gnostic Gospels never ONCE mention Jesus Divinity, they focus on the HUMAN qualities.

The Gnostic Gospels

The Gospel of Thomas

The Gospel of Philip

The Gospel of Truth

The Gospel to the Egyptians

The Apocalypse of Peter

The Apocalypse of Paul

The Letter of Peter to Philip

The Thunder, Perfect Mind

The Testimony of Truth

Ok, so in my sig we see a phrase I recently read from the Gospel of Thomas, it is very wise, and was allegedly stated by Jesus.

If you want to read them...

The Gospel of Thomas

The Gospel of Philip

Ill add more later I have to go...

My question is, what are the credibility of these scrolls dug up in Egypt, that were allegedly concealed from Constantine, to preserve "Truth"

BTW These are also mknown together as "The Gnostic Bible" or more scientfically, "The Nag Hammadi Scrolls"

Posted Image

#2    JohnnyBoyC

JohnnyBoyC

Psychic Spy

• 1,367 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 01:54 PM

anyone?

Posted Image

#3    mako

mako

Poltergeist

• 2,770 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:00 PM

Well, I have read a few of them partially, but mythology is not really my bag (probably dated myself with that term).  I agree with you that they do not portray a divine Jesus, only a human one.  I doubt if you will get much from the Christians on this, they have been taught that those lost books were lost by God for a reason.  rolleyes.gif  yes.gif

Our earth is degenerate in these latter days.  There are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end.  Bribery and corruption are common,   Children no longer obey their parents.  Every man wants to write a book, and the end of the world evidently is approaching.
                    Assyrian tablet circa 2800 BCE

#4    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 27,029 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:10 PM

Err, we have been taught no such thing.  We are taught of the Gnostic gospels at church, though obviously in no great detail.  We are told they have biblical inconsistencies, which is why they are not in the canon, though i've never seen one to prove or disprove that.  I've been curious to read what they have to say for a while now.  So, thanks for the link.  I'll look it up and see where it takes me.

Regards,

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#5    101

PA's Girl

• 4,992 posts

• One half of the perenially, perpetually, purpotratedly, proudly, perfectly, placidly, pleasantly, purposely, presently promised couple to be on UM.

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:13 PM

I have never read these Gospels. I will check out your linky! original.gif

Posted Image

Just remember, you can do anything (that is physically possible) that you set your mind to.  All you have to do is believe in yourself.- Mako

#6    sanchera1978

sanchera1978

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:21 PM

Johnny boy I have only read the Gospel of Thomas. For some reason I trust whats in that gospel alot more then anything in the bible. The sayings of Jesus just seem to vibrate with truth alot more then other stuff in the bible.

#7    Ashley-Star*Child

Ashley-Star*Child

Alien Abducter

• 5,015 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:20 AM

Ashley's dictionary:

Gnosticm:

1. A degenerate collection of utter tripe created as an aftermath for those who did not believe in divinity and believed God was evil, and that satan had rescued them by teacing them 'knowledge' through the temptation of Eve freeing them of the 'evil' Yahweh.

2. Utterly uninformed and majorly a Gentile creation. Confuses 'knowledge' of Tree in Eden with the reality of the matter which was in fact mortality for a second created angel whom death would never have touhced.

3. Crap, crap, and once more, crap.

grin2.gif

Posted Image

#8    Lamont Cranston

Lamont Cranston

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 11:32 AM

Gnosticm:

1. A degenerate collection of utter tripe created as an aftermath for those who did not believe in divinity and believed God was evil, and that satan had rescued them by teacing them 'knowledge' through the temptation of Eve freeing them of the 'evil' Yahweh.

2. Utterly uninformed and majorly a Gentile creation. Confuses 'knowledge' of Tree in Eden with the reality of the matter which was in fact mortality for a second created angel whom death would never have touhced.

3. Crap, crap, and once more, crap

And this from a person who believes that "Enoch" is divinely inspired....to quote ASC, "Crap, crap, and once more crap"

"In those parts of the world where learning and science has prevailed, miracles ceased; but in those parts that are barbarous and ignorant, miracles are still in vogue." - Ethan Allen

#9    Ashley-Star*Child

Ashley-Star*Child

Alien Abducter

• 5,015 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 12:11 PM

I'm more informed than you, and when I say it's 'crap' it is. When you say Enoch is 'crap' you talk from mere opinion. Go play with some toys over at the other scriptually illterate playground.

Posted Image

#10    Lamont Cranston

Lamont Cranston

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 12:25 PM

When 98% of the biblical scholars say crap in reference to "Enoch", it is safe to assume that yours is the opinion, not the fact.  And that's my final answer.

"In those parts of the world where learning and science has prevailed, miracles ceased; but in those parts that are barbarous and ignorant, miracles are still in vogue." - Ethan Allen

#11    EmpressV

EmpressV

The Opinionator

• 1,744 posts

• Democracy is a double edged sword, just because you don't like something doesn't make it wrong it just makes it someone elses right,
    Geo

Posted 17 August 2005 - 12:47 PM

The gnostic writings seem to shed a light of reality on the man. The church hierarchy wanted to paint jc in a light of mystisism and purity, it puts the story of his life on a higher level. Some of us (including Thomas) see this man as just that a MAN with great social, psychological and marketing skills.

Edited by curiousity, 17 August 2005 - 12:49 PM.

WHO'S THE KNUCKLEHEAD THAT GOT ME SIDETRACKED?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GODS ONLY EXIST IN THE MINDS OF THOSE THAT BELIEVE IN THEM

#12    LarryOldtimer

LarryOldtimer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

• In the beginning, there was nothing. God said, "Let there be light." There still was nothing, but you could see it better.

Posted 18 August 2005 - 12:19 AM

QUOTE(Paranoid Android @ Aug 16 2005, 07:10 AM)
Err, we have been taught no such thing.  We are taught of the Gnostic gospels at church, though obviously in no great detail.  We are told they have biblical inconsistencies, which is why they are not in the canon, though i've never seen one to prove or disprove that.  I've been curious to read what they have to say for a while now.  So, thanks for the link.  I'll look it up and see where it takes me.

Regards,

View Post

They have inconsistancies?  So do the Bible books they did choose.   rolleyes.gif

#13    LarryOldtimer

LarryOldtimer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

• In the beginning, there was nothing. God said, "Let there be light." There still was nothing, but you could see it better.

Posted 18 August 2005 - 12:21 AM

QUOTE(curiousity @ Aug 17 2005, 05:47 AM)
The gnostic writings seem to shed a light of reality on the man. The church hierarchy wanted to paint jc in a light of mystisism and purity, it puts the story of his life on a higher level. Some of us (including Thomas) see this man as just that a MAN with great social, psychological and marketing skills.

View Post

It was Paul who had the marketing skills!

#14    Ashley-Star*Child

Ashley-Star*Child

Alien Abducter

• 5,015 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 01:37 AM

QUOTE(Lamont Cranston @ Aug 17 2005, 12:25 PM)
When 98% of the biblical scholars say crap in reference to "Enoch", it is safe to assume that yours is the opinion, not the fact.  And that's my final answer.

View Post

And you opinion means jack to me. As for that '98%' times are changing, watch and learn.

Posted Image

#15    Lamont Cranston

Lamont Cranston

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 11:48 AM

Yep, I've noticed  yes.gif - Christianity is dying everywhere but in the third world nations. yes.gif   Europe is for all intents and purposes a secular continent (even Italy has an extremely large secular population), Canada and the United States have seen the percentage of the population that claims Christianity fall from 87% in 1980 to 61% in 2005.  thumbsup.gif  Most of Asia has never been Christian, Christianity is growning in parts of Africa, but so is Islam. thumbdown.gif Central and South America have never really been Christian, although they pay lip service to Catholicism.  Their brand of Catholicism is actually a mixture of the various Native American (Red Indian to our Brit, Aussie, and Kiwi friends) religions married to a framework of Catholic Christianity.   blink.gif We will probably see an Africa with a Strong Fundamentalist Christian  population struggling with an equally Strong Islamic population within 2 decades.   ohmy.gif We will see a mainly secular North America and Europe  thumbsup.gif with a Muslim Middle East  no.gif (relax, their time will also come to die out) and a largely secular Asia (many of the so-called religions of Asia are more philosophies than religions).  Probably within 3 decades no one will even remember Enoch, Daniel or even the so-called Holy Scriptures of the Christians. thumbup.gif  That is how things are changing!  Which means your opinion is just that, and personal opinion that few if any share.   rolleyes.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users