Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Curse of MacBeth

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1    Gabriel

Gabriel

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 03:29 PM

Is there a Curse on Bill Play?

In 1604 Will Shakespeare in his zeal to please King James I, an authority on demonology, cast caution and imagination aside and for the opening scene of Macbeth's Act IV he reproduced a 17th century black-magic ritual, a sort of how-to to budding witches. Without changing an ingredient, Old Will provided his audience with step-by-step instructions in the furtive art of spell casting:

"Round around the cauldron go;
In the poison'd entrails throw.
Toad, that under cold stone
Days and nights has thirty-one
Swelter'd venum sleeping got.
Boil thou first i' the charmed pot"
...And so on.

The ritual's practitioners were not amused by this detailed public exposure of their witchcraft, and it is said that as punishment they cast an everlasting spell on the play, turning it into the most ill-starred of all theatrical productions. It is so unlucky that by comparison to Macbeth's nearly 400-year history of unmitigated disaster, Murphy's Law appears exceedingly optimistic.

Here are some of the gory particulars:

Beginning with its first performance, in 1606, Dear Will himself was forced to play Lady Macbeth when Hal Berridge, the boy designated to play the lady with a peculiar notion of hospitality, became inexplicably feverish and died. Moreover, the bloody play so displeased King James I that he banned it for five years.

When performed in Amsterdam in 1672, the actor playing Macbeth substituted a real dagger for the blunted stage one and with it killed Duncan in full view of the entranced audience.

As Lady Macbeth, Sarah Siddons was nearly ravaged by a disapproving audience in 1775; Sybil Thorndike was almost strangled by a burly actor in 1926; Diana Wynyard sleepwalked off the rostrum in 1948, falling down 15 feet.

During its 1849 performance at New York's Astor Place, a riot broke out in which 31 people were trampled to death.

In 1937, when Laurence Olivier took on the role of Macbeth, a 25 pound stage weight crashed within an inch of him, and his sword which broke onstage flew into the audience and hit a man who later suffered a heart attack.

In 1934, British actor Malcolm Keen turned mute onstage, and his replacement, Alister Sim, like Hal Berridge before him, developed a high fever and had to be hospitalized.

In the 1942 Macbeth production headed by John Gielgud, three actors -- Duncan and two witches -- died, and the costume and set designer committed suicide amidst his devilish Macbeth creations.

The indestructible Charlton Heston, in an outdoor production in Bermuda in 1953, suffered severe burns in his groin and leg area from tights that were accidentally soaked in kerosene.

An actor's strike felled Rip Torn's 1970 production in New York City; two fires and seven robberies plagued the 1971 version starring David Leary; in the 1981 production at Lincoln Center, J. Kenneth Campbell, who played Macduff, was mugged soon after the play's opening.

Of course, no explanations have been given for the seemingly inevitable toil and trouble that is part and parcel of this unlucky play. You don't, in fact, ever refer to Macbeth or quote from it unless rehearsing or performing it. You also don't, as explained to me by countless brave and talented actors from Glenda Jackson to Ian McKellen, refer to this haunted play by name, but instead you call it That Scottish Play or simply That Play; everyone, it seems, will get the message, in a flash.

EDIT: Can I remind everyone to include a source for articles not written by themselves, we don't want any copyright issues on the forum, thankyou,  SOURCE

Edited by Thistle, 17 August 2005 - 05:19 PM.

#2    Great Big Sea

Great Big Sea

Poltergeist

• 2,459 posts

• We should respect a person not because who they are, but what they do with their life, is the way they earn our respect.

Posted 17 August 2005 - 03:55 PM

I heard about this on the show Mystery Hunters it was interesting. But I don't think it's a real curse. The only reason why they think there is a curse is because everyone is feeding the idea of there's a curse.

"This is probably the strangest position I've been in on this show." Adam Savage.

"Notice how he says "On this Show." Kari Byron

Mythbusters.

#3    Moose-Of-Armageddon

Moose-Of-Armageddon

UM's resident Maniacal Moose!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

• THE MOOSE IS LOOSE! AGAIN!

"Thank goodness you came! The Blob hasn't been feeling well, and now the toilets are all BACKED UP!"

Posted 17 August 2005 - 04:51 PM

No, Gabriel, NO, you keep saying it!

Posted Image

AND DON'T WORRY, YOU'LL GET USED TO THE STRAIGHT-JACKETS SOON ENOUGH.....

MOOSE'S MIGHTY VICTIM'S LIST
           Pyro Pheenix            
                Pandy                  
          Dante The Hunter      
                 NC                              
           XSAS_Daughter

THE VICTIM'S LIST IS A MYSTERY, BUT WHEN YOU JOIN IT, YOU'LL KNOW..... YOU'LL KNOW....

#4    Gabriel

Gabriel

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 05:29 PM

Sorry normaly im pritty goood at that

http://pretallez.com/onstage/theatre/broad...beth_curse.html

Theater supperstitions are great, yes one could fead a curse by accident and have some tragic event follows, some curses could be real though. like the hope dimond.

#5    rickfury188

rickfury188

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 314 posts

• I have to return some videotapes.

Posted 17 August 2005 - 05:30 PM

Very interesting...I hope noone else dies if they keep doing the play. Again...very interesting.

*Signature removed, exceeds permitted size guidelines - Click Here for details.

#6    Nadia B.

Nadia B.

Streaky Freak

• 3,407 posts

• Demented Momilie of the Day: There is not a tampon in this world that will give you the joy and freedom portrayed in a Tampax commercial.

Posted 17 August 2005 - 06:19 PM

If you look at it from a statistical standpoint, Macbeth has been performed so many times throughout the years, that if nothing at all happened, that would be a big deal.  During plays (especially waaaaay back then), anything can happen.  Why do you think the phrase "The show must go on" is so popular?

Posted Image
Skepticism is good, but when you reach a certain level where
you're grasping at straws and making little sense... it's not
called skepticism.  It's called ignorance.
CRYPTO ENTHUSIAST GUYS ROCK!

#7    StalingradK

StalingradK

Psychic Spy

• 1,716 posts

• We happy few, we band of brothers/
    For he that sheds his blood with me this day/
    Shall be my brother
    -Shakespeare; Henry V

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:02 PM

I want George W Bush to play the roll of MacBeth tongue.gif

Get in the Puma!!!

#8    Gabriel

Gabriel

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:50 PM

for a good show (when i was in high school) the cast  would cram them self in the smallest stage bathroom and turn out the lights and chew mint life-savers too see them spark.

#9    Pontius Pilate

Pontius Pilate

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:01 PM

My understanding is that The superstition is not so much about doing the play as about naming it. You are not supposed to mention the title in a theatre.  That is why most actors will call it "that scottish play" or the "unmentionable".

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>I had him executed once before, and if he were actually to return, I would have him executed again!</span>

#10    Jeenuh

Jeenuh

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

• Who put such a high price on being typical?

Posted 18 August 2005 - 02:24 PM

I bet if you researched other plays they'd have a lot of problems too :S

blackbird singing in the dead of night.
take these broken wings and learn to fly.

#11    Gabriel

Gabriel

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 05:26 PM

sure all play have their mishaps, but this one has had alot.

Ill leave it all up to  u to deside.

#12    PuffyAmiYumi

PuffyAmiYumi

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 03:05 PM

Rommie, you watch Mystery Hunters? Me too!

I aint scared.

Macbeth MacBeth MacBeth MacBe---*SPLAT*

Edited by PuffyAmiYumi, 20 August 2005 - 03:05 PM.

Me Knifing N00bs

Counter-Strike is the BEST GAME EVAR!!

#13    Dracos Nightwolf

Dracos Nightwolf

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

Really... In 400 years, you"d think it would have a even higher "body count"... Just saying...

#14    Gummug

Gummug

Psychic Spy

• 1,255 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

Who knows? Maybe a statistical survey, an in-depth study of the chances of mishaps of each play, etc., would help, but I sure ain't gonna do it...I'm too lazy. :P

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users