Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

New Chat Server, Client & Instructions

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,840 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 18 February 2002 - 01:31 PM

Following repeated attempts at messing up the Live Chat yeserday by an anonymous troublemaker from the webchatting.com server, I have registered a new chat room on a respected private server, VIP Net. This will give us a much better place to hold the Live Chats in future, with better security and admin support should we need it.

Logging into this new server however, involves a different client to the java one used on the site up until now. The program to access this server is called "mIRC", and is a very widely used IRC client that has been around for a very long time.

To save any hassles getting it to work, I have put together a ready setup and customised version of it, which is now available for download. Using it to log into the chat is VERY easy, so don't worry if you haven't had any experience with using it in the past.

The following, is a step by step guide on how to get into the chat room using the new mIRC client.

Step 1 : Download the program. It is 1.1 Megabytes, and is available for download by clicking here :

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/unexplainedmirc.zip

Step 2 : Unzip the zip file into a directory on your computer. If you have winzip, this is a simple matter. Just double click on the downloaded file and extract it to a directory of your choice. If you don't have winzip, you should download it from www.winzip.com.

Step 3 : Run mirc.exe in the directory you just unzipped the files into. This will start the program up.

Step 4 : A box appears. Simply type your desired nickname in the box that has "yournickhere" written in it. Then click OK.

Step 5 : Click on the small yellow zigzag icon that looks like a lightning bolt in the top left hand corner of the screen, under the file menu. The program will now connect you to the chat server. Note that this may take a few seconds. Don't be put off by the connection time - some parts of the world will be able to connect quicker than others.

Step 6 : The channel box will appear. Double click on #unexplained and you will have arrived in the chat room. If you close the channel box window by mistake, you can re-open it by clicking on the icon that is 3rd along on the row at the top of the screen.

and thats all there is to it. If you have any queries or difficulties in getting this to work, please use this thread to discuss them. Let me know also when you do get it to work properly so that I know you've been successful. It is recommended that you get the program downloaded and set up sometime before the next live chat, in case you have difficulties getting it to work. The instructions are repeated on the Live Chat page where the old java applet used to be.

Note : Live Chats are now being held twice a week - on a Wednesday and a Sunday at 8PM GMT, 3PM EST, 12PM PST. Please feel free to come along to either or both of the chats - all guests and members welcome.

#2    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 18 February 2002 - 03:55 PM

Thanks SaRuMaN,
:s06
I got in fine.. :D

It might take some time getting used to all these functions though.  :s04

Tommy  :s03

"Superstition created all the gods and angels, all the devils and ghosts, all the witches, demons and goblins, gave us all the augurs, soothsayers and prophets, filled the heavens with signs and wonders, broke the chain of cause and effect, and wrote the history of man in miracles and lies" ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

#3    ScaryD

ScaryD

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 February 2002 - 08:42 PM

Yikes.  I tried.  But it's telling me it can't continue cos "Unknown zip headed encountered" and "Zip entry is garbled"  Sounds like it's cos I'm on a mac.  Any ideas/options?

(OS 9.1 or 10 / G4 / 40GHD / 384MB Ram)

:sk

Every time a child says 'I don't believe in fairies'  there is a little fairy somewhere that falls down dead.J.M.Barrie | Peter Pan

#4    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,840 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 18 February 2002 - 08:51 PM

ScaryD,

Ah, I hadn't taken Mac users into account - the chat program that is in that zip file is a PC only program. I don't know of any Apple Macintosh clients. I'll need to try and get some sort of Java client applet for non-PC/windows users. It won't be as good as mIRC, but it would at least allow you to log into the room.

I'll post more information about alternatives as soon as I find some.

:sk

#5    odinsupreme

odinsupreme

Odin

• 1,097 posts

• Yes.

Posted 18 February 2002 - 09:00 PM

I can't download that thing.. Error in zip file!!!

Odin Supreme :s9

#6    ScaryD

ScaryD

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 February 2002 - 09:02 PM

Hmmph as a mac user, I get left out of everything!  Well, apart from the 'having a sexy looking computer competition'!   :su

Thank you thank you.   You are a STAR!  :-*

Every time a child says 'I don't believe in fairies'  there is a little fairy somewhere that falls down dead.J.M.Barrie | Peter Pan

#7    odinsupreme

odinsupreme

Odin

• 1,097 posts

• Yes.

Posted 18 February 2002 - 09:03 PM

By the way, I have Windows 98 and Winzip 8.1...

Odin Supreme

#8    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,840 posts

Posted 18 February 2002 - 09:03 PM

Hmmm,

I'm going to download the file and test it to see if it works for me - it may be that the file didn't upload properly the second time.

#9    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,840 posts

Posted 18 February 2002 - 09:08 PM

Odin + Whoever else gets an error in zip file,

The zip file is corrupted - looks like it didn't upload properly after all. I'm going to reupload it - it should be done in a few minutes.

#10    odinsupreme

odinsupreme

Odin

• 1,097 posts

• Yes.

Posted 18 February 2002 - 09:14 PM

Thanx  :sk

Odin Supreme

#11    Crow

Crow

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 February 2002 - 09:14 PM

phew, thought it was me being dumb  :su

Stay spooky, Crow x

#12    odinsupreme

odinsupreme

Odin

• 1,097 posts

• Yes.

Posted 18 February 2002 - 09:19 PM

It is all SaRuMaNs fault!  ;) :s04

Odin Supreme :s9

#13    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,840 posts

Posted 18 February 2002 - 09:21 PM

Right the file is re-uploaded and should be ok now.

There's 3 of us in the chat room just now when you do manage to download it and get it set up.

:)

#14    Crow

Crow

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 February 2002 - 09:28 PM

okies, thanks, i'll try again image

Stay spooky, Crow x

#15    ScaryD

ScaryD

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 February 2002 - 09:31 PM

Would if I could.  It lets me unzip it now, but it winna read it.  Alas.

:'(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users