Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Looting in New Orleans

• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

#1    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 14,465 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:12 PM

I am curious as to what your thoughts are concerning the looting in New Orleans.

Do you think it is stealing...or is it a matter of survival?

Looting Takes Place in View of La. Police
By ALLEN G. BREED, Associated Press Writer

NEW ORLEANS - With much of the city flooded by Hurricane Katrina, looters floated garbage cans filled with clothing and jewelry down the street in a dash to grab what they could. In some cases, looting on Tuesday took place in full view of police and National Guard troops.
At a Walgreen's drug store in the French Quarter, people were running out with grocery baskets and coolers full of soft drinks, chips and diapers.
When police finally showed up, a young boy stood in the door screaming, "86! 86!" _ the radio code for police _ and the crowd scattered.
Source

user posted image
A young man walks through chest deep flood water after looting a grocery store in New Orleans ...

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#2    sanchera1978

sanchera1978

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:17 PM

i was just reading that article on cnn and thought the same thing. I think if its food and stuff necessary for survival its not really a bad thing.  But if they start looting more valuable stuff like tvs, cpu's, plasma tv's then they should get arrested their just taking advantage of the situation.

#3    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:23 PM

I can see looting food and blankets as survival. But taking TVs etc is stealing. And the people who do it are nothing more than sub-humans when they start stealing from the homes of others rather than shops.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#4    Dando Kast

Dando Kast

Was that a bullet? :(

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

• In order to be heard, sometimes you need say nothing at all.

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:24 PM

I agree with Sanchera...

#5    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:28 PM

Stealing is stealing, but when it comes to food or water I am pretty tolerant. I can't imagine the local grocery store has cashiers at work treading water while checking people out, so if they have food for the family so be it.

Taking anything other than that is the worst kind of theft that anyone can possibly do, it makes me sick to think anyone is going to take advantage of such a horrible situation.

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#6    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:48 PM

In that picture though... is diet pepsi really something you need to live though?  w00t.gif

If all they are taking is food and survival gear, not really a problem to me because not many of those people were prepared for a storm that big to hit.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

#7    JayRob303

JayRob303

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

• Only in the darkness, can you see true light...The Steel Circle

*by Isis*

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:24 PM

I am going to have to agree that food and other necessities such diapers, food, etc... should be excused to an extent.  Red Cross and other agencies are set up to support people in times of crisis also.

Looters of homes should be shot on sight... gunsmilie.gif

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

'Even now in Heaven there are Angles carrying savage weapons.' - Saint Paul

#8    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,334 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:06 PM

In that picture though... is diet pepsi really something you need to live though? w00t.gif

It is if that is all you got to drink.  I don't blame them for taking food, drinks, diapers, etc...  It might be along time before things get to livable again. In the same situation I might go for supplies.  Living in Florida I know just how bad it can get and how long.   Think about how many people who now have nothing.  No home, no job, just what you have on your back or in the car.  Not good.   no.gif

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

#9    The Russian Hare

The Russian Hare

Silent assassin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

• Boat Tailed & Hollow Pointed

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:15 PM

Well if someone REALLY needed it to survive, I wouldn't condemn them. Most of the food, perishables and medicine etc. is going to be written off as a total loss anyway. People looting clothing stores, liquor stores etc. however are not concerned about starving to death.

"Do you not know that I live by war, and that peace would be my undoing?" - Sir John Hawkwood

#10    Natael

Natael

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:45 PM

Finders, keepers, I say.

I think it's more of a shame to let those nice computers and big screen TVs get dissolved than salvaging them and finding a use for them... other than letting them stay in the water.

Besides, electronics companies aren't the ones homeless right now.

#11    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 12:03 AM

QUOTE(Natael @ Aug 30 2005, 06:45 PM)
Finders, keepers, I say.

I think it's more of a shame to let those nice computers and big screen TVs get dissolved than salvaging them and finding a use for them... other than letting them stay in the water.

Besides, electronics companies aren't the ones homeless right now.

View Post

...  huh.gif So being homeless gives you an excuse to steal stuff you honesly don't need in something this bad?  no.gif

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

#12    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 14,465 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 31 August 2005 - 12:06 AM

Besides that...where the hell are you going to put that stuff anyway?  It's not like they really have homes they can go back to with it..... huh.gif

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#13    zukie&jim

zukie&jim

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

• nothing PC about a sidwinder exploding in a hot tail pipe !

Posted 31 August 2005 - 12:17 AM

one looter and a hi-def TV--  "hey dude" why you takeing the big screen TV --there won't be any juice for weeks ?--looter  " this GD_TV floats better than i do !!"--yep might make a decent canoe ?

#14    Conspiracy

Conspiracy

Poltergeist

• 3,074 posts

• "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:07 AM

looters taking food and other needed things should be left alone cuz thier just trying to survive

Posted Image

#15    ajagsfairy

ajagsfairy

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:26 AM

Those poor people thats sad. Its just stuff but i agree if its nessesary things like food and meds and cloths and things if they need it to survive then i dont see whats wrong with it. Who wouldn't do the same if they were in their shoes honestly if u really needed it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users