Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Looting in New Orleans

• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

#16    matthewgoad

matthewgoad

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:43 AM

In some of the videos I saw the police were doing nothing to stop them. But I guess when you have that many people in a store grabbing all they can, how are you going to stop them? You can't arrest them all or shoot em all.

#17    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,508 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:52 AM

You have to look at this as well half the police force is not at work,they have families to take care of as well, and you know the old saying when opportunity knocks take, Like hell, take what you need to live and take what you need for others, time for the national gaurd to start shooting gas, rubber bullets and tasers, but wait only a few cops and wow that might start a riot, better just let them take what they want. Even though these people looting for profit are wrong better that then violence with no control.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#18    dmgspycat

dmgspycat

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

• There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be fixed with what is right with America.-President Bill Clinton

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:41 AM

As long as it is a necessity then I think it should be excusable...even if you had to go into a home next door to rummage for food...diapers...etc.

I just hope the National Gaurd will understand that most are just trying to survive.

Looting has always been frowned upon and in some cases will get you killed but if I see them shoot people for getting necessities I will be one pissed off American.

There should be some plan to get those areas back on track but until then what are these people to do?

"You get your information from the daily press. Yet that is the very last place on earth to seek for truth in any state of form." Emma Goldman, March 1, 1933

"But this is their game. They're counting on your patriotism to distract you from their plunder. They're counting on you to be standing at attention with your hand over your heart, pledging allegiance to the flag, while they pick your pocket!" Bill Moyers

#19    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 14,465 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:45 AM

Looting has always been frowned upon and in some cases will get you killed but if I see them shoot people for getting necessities I will be one pissed off American.

I thought you already were 'one pissed off American'. tongue.gif    And when are you going to start that: Bush Responsible for Hurricane thread? happy.gif

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#20    dmgspycat

dmgspycat

Psychic Spy

• 1,232 posts

• There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be fixed with what is right with America.-President Bill Clinton

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:59 AM

Lawd joc! You know better than that.  huh.gif   tongue.gif

"You get your information from the daily press. Yet that is the very last place on earth to seek for truth in any state of form." Emma Goldman, March 1, 1933

"But this is their game. They're counting on your patriotism to distract you from their plunder. They're counting on you to be standing at attention with your hand over your heart, pledging allegiance to the flag, while they pick your pocket!" Bill Moyers

#21    TheEssenceofExcellence

TheEssenceofExcellence

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

• May the Lord bless you, your house, and all your endeavors.

Posted 31 August 2005 - 05:34 AM

Looting for things like food and water when you don't have any, is surviving.  But looting appliances and electronic.....jewelry and ect that's just not right.

Just to update on the situation in N.O. I just heard there has been shooting in the Super Dome (I think that's what it's called).  I don't know why or what for though, I'll post again if I hear anything else tonight.

Ignatius to the Magnesians: "It is therefore fitting, that we should not only be called Christians, but be so.

#22    RaginCajun

RaginCajun

Psychic Spy

• 1,022 posts

• "People ask for criticism, but they only want praise."
    - W. Somerset Maugham (1874 - 1965)

Posted 31 August 2005 - 05:40 AM

well, people gotta do what they gotta do to survive.   i feel that any kind of stealing wether it is food or electronics is wrong.  send all looters to jail.  they are looting people's hard earned items.  this is not a "robin hood" deal that these looters are doing.

Apocalypse: I am the rocks of the eternal shore; Crash against me and be broken!
::Gambit crashes his jet into Apocalypse::

Jean: Jubilee, we come into this world alone -- and we leave the same way... The time we spend in between... time spent alive, sharing, learning... together... is all that makes life worth living. Uncanny X-Men  #303

#23    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 05:50 AM

QUOTE(dmgspycat @ Aug 30 2005, 10:41 PM)
I just hope the National Gaurd will understand that most are just trying to survive. to get those areas back on track but until then what are these people to do?

View Post

Just like to also add, the Marines are down there as well. original.gif

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

#24    Bone_Collector

Bone_Collector

-> SkEpToMaNiAc <-

• 1,334 posts

• You savvy?

Posted 31 August 2005 - 07:19 AM

A tough call I'd say, necessary for survival but morally wrong. Stealing IS stealing no matter how you put it, but I guess you have to do it if it's a question of survival. I wonder what the US Marines are doing, I'd expect them to drop food packets from choppers to avoid such situations.

I think stealing from jewelry stores, electronic stores and such is sheer exploitation of the situations. I think it would take people with a lot of character not to do such things when they have lost almost everything but there would also be scores of people who haven't lost much but just trying to make most of the situations, I think people like this SHOULD be arrested and punished.

I think it's basically a question of morals, most people who do such things would be law abiding respectable citizens in normal circumstances but I believe such situations bring to light what everybody is really made up of and shows how important law and order is.

Edited by Bone_Collector, 31 August 2005 - 07:24 AM.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep... and miles to go before I sleep ~Robert Frost

#25    TheEssenceofExcellence

TheEssenceofExcellence

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

• May the Lord bless you, your house, and all your endeavors.

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:48 AM

The Marines are there enforcing martial law in some parts of N.O. to stop all of the looting, and to stop people from hijacking cars.

I understand why someone who lost everything, and knows that the waters are still rising at the moment, would want to get out of there; but hijacking vehicles to get out?  It's straight out of the movie war of the worlds....  I guess Spielberg knows how people would react in times of crisis.

Just to update on what I said earlier....  Right after my other post I turned it from CNN Headline News to the original CNN and I heard that the shooting was at or outside of the Super Dome, not inside of it.  I haven't got back on the news lately so I still don't know what it was all about; I did hear something about some of the looters being shot but that's probably just hear say.

Ignatius to the Magnesians: "It is therefore fitting, that we should not only be called Christians, but be so.

#26    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:01 AM

Last I heard looting was a shootable offence? I can understand looting for food and clthing for survival but removing High Def TV's and other electrical equipment etc.. is not acceptable.

Posted Image

#27    Essan

Essan

Recruitment Agent for the 'B' Ark

• 2,365 posts

• Stop Climate Change: Plant a Rain Forest Today!

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:23 AM

Taking essentials for survival is acceptable.  But I struggle to understand the mentality of people looting eletrical goods and jewellery etc when so many folk don't even a have a home left.....

However, there are currently far more urgent matters than stopping looting.....sad.gif

Andy

Weather & Earth Science News
The independent climate blog

#28    gazerbeams

gazerbeams

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 184 posts

• "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -- Einstein.

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:13 AM

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Children's Hospital under siege
Tuesday, 11:45 p.m.

Late Tuesday, Gov. Blanco spokeswoman Denise Bottcher described a disturbing scene unfolding in uptown New Orleans, where looters were trying to break into Children's Hospital.

Bottcher said the director of the hospital fears for the safety of the staff and the 100 kids inside the hospital. The director said the hospital is locked, but that the looters were trying to break in and had gathered outside the facility.

The director has sought help from the police, but, due to rising flood waters, police have not been able to respond.

Bottcher said Blanco has been told of the situation and has informed the National Guard. However, Bottcher said, the National Guard has also been unable to respond.

From here: http://www.nola.com/newslogs/breakingtp/in..._08.html#075290

THIS is the stuff you guys should be outraged over, not some idiot stealing a TV.

#29    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:15 AM

Bottcher said the director of the hospital fears for the safety of the staff and the 100 kids inside the hospital. The director said the hospital is locked, but that the looters were trying to break in and had gathered outside the facility.

Now what the hell is that crap?  angry.gif

Time to break out the high powered rifles! thumbsup.gif

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

#30    gazerbeams

gazerbeams

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 184 posts

• "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -- Einstein.

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE(XSAS @ Aug 31 2005, 03:01 AM)
Last I heard looting was a shootable offence?

View Post

Only when the mob turns violent, IIRC.

QUOTE(__Kratos__ @ Aug 31 2005, 04:15 AM)
Time to break out the high powered rifles! thumbsup.gif

View Post

My thoughts exactly.   gunsmilie.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users