Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Dowsing

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,906 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 02:47 PM

I'm usually fairly succesful at dowsing with copper rods, i can art least find small items that have been lost.  Searching for water where I live though is a bit difficilt due to the amount of residual rain fall.

"We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences."
David Gemmell

#17    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,906 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 02:54 PM

Here's a beginners site on dowsing

http://www.deviningmind.com/dowsing-tips.html

and also for a bit more information

http://www.geo.org/dowse1.htm#tof

hope these help.

"We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences."
David Gemmell

#18    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 09:45 PM

[blue]
Lethbridge experimented with many types of dowsing and found that pendulum dowsing was best for him. He also experimented with the length of string holding the weight and found that, when the pendulum was held over substances, the pendulum would swing if the string was at a certain length. So he concluded that substances had a vibration picked up by the pendulum.

What is interesting is that he went on to discover that certain emotions had vibration rates also.

The most fascinating thing is that his experiments led him to note that the vibrations also were configured in spirals.

Hope this helps.
[/blue]

Do what you want and be what you feel. Because after all, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't 'mind.

Work hard, keep the ceremonies, live peacably, and unite your hearts. Hopi

Listen to the voice of nature, for it holds treasures for you. Huron

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears. Minquass

#19    GIZZIE

GIZZIE

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 11:15 PM

Indeed it does help - Thank you.
Strangely enough, I can quite understand the vibrations being spiral (I can't explain why though).  Perhaps the reason why the pendulum spirals either clockwise or anti clockwise is due to the vibration picked up and likewise for the "free swinging", which is usually in a straight direction and normally means - no reply or question not posed correctly.
I also used to have a pair of dowsing rods, which when crossed over to the inside meant a "hit" or a "find" or positive reply and when turned outwards negative.  They would either gently quiver or not move at all an incorrect question was posed.
Every time, the pendulum or rods or whatever device is used, the yes and no movements must be defined.
I'm not certain about lengths of pendulum, I guess each dowser/diviner has his/her preferences.
I think it's a fascinating subject and it's interesting to see just how many different people from priests and engineers to very ordinary, but inquisitve people, like myself.

Swallows are the dolphins of the sky

#20    pixieassassin

pixieassassin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 12:40 AM

Well, I feel I should drag my self out of hiding for this...Especially since Stuart volunteered me.
I've tried dowsing with some degree of success. One time was using wire rods to follow an underground stream. it worked, but then I knew it was there, so i probably had a fair bit of subconsious influence over it. The other time have been using pendulums, each time with varing degrees of success.
(and to answer a previous question -  I'm a pixie that goes around annihilating things, usually unsuspecting chocolate bars and bottles of vodka  ;))

#21    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 24 February 2002 - 01:42 AM

PIXIE!!!

So does this mean you'll be adding more pic's to your website? Huh?......does it? ::drool, drool, slobber, drool::  :sk

Magikman  :D

* - Don't let PS take the pictures, I hear his has 'orbs' all over them, thus spoiling the natural beauty of the person in the photograph.  ;)

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#22    pixieassassin

pixieassassin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 01:48 AM

hehehe...When I get around to taking some more maybe.

#23    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 24 February 2002 - 01:59 AM

:sk    :skWhooHoooo......!!!!!  :sk   :sk

Magikman  :o

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users