Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Inexplicable Cigarette Smell

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,062 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 01 August 2003 - 01:05 PM

This is from someone that contacted me via E-Mail seeking a solution to a strange, possibly paranormal smell of Cigarettes that he can't seem to get rid of. See what you make of this, and feel free to post any potential explanations or solutions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am unable to explain the sickening smell of cigarette smoke throughout my
town house. I am a non-smoker.
My investigation began about a week ago, when I returned home from shopping.
As I opened the door from the garage to the downstairs hall, I immediately
detected the stench of cigarette smoke. Since there hasn't been any
cigarette smoking in my home for the past twelve years, I suddenly surmised
that a burglar was probably at work upstairs. Slowly but very cautiously, I
checked-out the downstairs, then moved up to the main floor. Nobody here
either. If a burglar was here he would surly be on the top floor. As I had
been burgled some several years ago, I hesitated. Should I call the police?
Should I get my baseball bat from the lower floor? I couldn't decide what
action to take. I quietly waited and listened. There was not a sound, but
the smell of cigarette smoke was beginning to cause me to gag. After what
seemed to be an hour, it was in fact only a few minutes, I slowly made my
way up to the top level. The guest room was my first entry. No burglar or
sign of any intruder here. I moved a bit quicker, but with continued
caution, moved from room to room. No intruder and no burglar, caused me to
assume the burglar had come, burgled and exited my home. I wasn't frightened
any longer, but another fear came upon me. What was missing? What was
stolen? I checked and rechecked the entire house. Nothing was gone. Nothing
was even disturbed!

Something was out of sorts and my first inclination was my new neighbour.
What kind of cigarettes do you smoke Sully? Why I haven't smoked in years.
Why do you ask, he exclaimed? I briefly told Sully my story. I haven't had
any company since moving in either, he said. The smoke must be coming from
your neighbour on the other side, Sully quipped. No, I've been taking care
of John and Lonnie's home while they are away, I said. There was only one
other place where the smell could come from, the bush behind my property.
Some under-age kids must be in there smoking. I went upstairs and gazed out
my bedroom window onto the bush. Ahha, I said. As I saw something move... I
rushed to get my binoculars. Two blue jays were playing or mating or
whatever. I eliminated all the possibilities that I could think of, then
decided to call my wife.

Sharon, I've got a problem and I know only a sleuth like you can help me
solve it. By the time I finished my story she interrupted and said, It's
your mother! I immediately replied, You mean her spirit or ghost? She then
went on to tell me that she also smelled cigarette smoke in her home only
yesterday. What else could it be I said?

Tonight there's a slight breeze outside and all of my windows are open. In
spite of this, the entire house simply reeks of cigarette smoke. What do I
do next?

Oh yes, one other thing. My mother of eighty-nine years, passed away on
February 21st of this year. She was a heavy smoker up until a few years ago,
when she entered a medical centre for the aged.

It's all up to you now my friend. How do I get rid of this sickening smelly
cigarette smoke?

#2    Bizarro

Bizarro

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 01:15 PM

weird.  sounds like it might be a ghost  blink.gif  

if there was a meteor,
adrift amongst space,
set about on a collision course
not with Earth, but my face...
i wonder if id even know,
at what time i might,
be passed off like an old style
and by the meteor be smite?

- me, 1997

#3    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,906 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 03:59 PM

I agree, it does sound like a ghost, if your mother was a heavy smoker then this is possibly her way of telling you that he is still around and watching over you.

I nearly said a poltergeist, due to the smell that is lingering, but then i remembered an old account I once read, that mentioned the smell of roses that pervaded a house that was also the site of a haunting.

What you can do is either leave the ghost alone, or you can have it exorcised, and ask it to leave.  The priest of your religion should be able to do it for you.

"We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences."
David Gemmell

#4    angel_psychic

angel_psychic

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 05:15 PM

sometimes its perfume/cologne.  IF it is a ghost/poltergeitst,  then it would be what ever was most familiar with the person while alive.  In this case, cigs.  I would acknoledge the entity,  let her know he knows she is there,  and she should move on.

seek not only what can be seen, but strive for the unkown, to continually expand upon what is already learned.  
Never take what someone says as gospel truth,  but investigate and verify it yourself

#5    TerrorToad

TerrorToad

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 09:49 PM

Throughout my childhood and up to this day, i have xperianced al lot of strange things, i put this donw to being open minded, and i consider, slightly phsycic, but however this storey concerns my mother...
when my mother was young her and family, (my now family) moved to a house in a village near macclesfield. it wasnt an old house but this was the 60's and it was old then.
At the time, my mothers father, my grandfather smoked ciggarettes, but he had to smoke outside due to having small children..
In the house in which they lived, had a small sitting room at the back of the house surrounded by windows but cut off from the rest of the house by a door.

The part of the stoery which i am taking my time to get to is that, this door was always left open, as the dog they owned used to sit in there, until one day it was left shut whilst everyone was out.
My  grandparents and my mother as a child then returned home to find the room in which the dog slept, and not forgetting that the door was shut. the room had filled up with thick pipe smoke.Pipe smoke is denser than ciggerette smoke and and has a yellow cream tinge to it, and lingers..
they found that the smoke would only appear when the door was left shut.
This intrigued my grandmother and father, and decided to look into it.
They then found that the previous previous, owner of the house to be an old lady and gentle man, the gentle men who in which had died in his sleep sat in the room with the smoke, and loved a puff on his pipe whilst sitting with his dog.

thankyou for taking the time to read this, i will be posting more sightings that i have had and ghosts where i live and that i have felt..

laura
x  

Sanity calms, but madness is more interesting.

#6    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 10:25 AM

Thanx again for your story Terror Toad  original.gif

As for the original story I think Al is right it's Mum letting you know she's O.K. but I would like to ad that the smell will go away when you realise she is happy now ..
Q:If she gave up smoking a few years before she died why would her spirit smoke ?
A: Because she can  original.gif
   She want's you to know she's happy  original.gif  

#7    uranium101

uranium101

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 02:43 PM

nice elephant kismit. thumbsup.gif i have to agree with everyone else, i'm afraid. ph34r.gif  

Jesus died for everyone, but if you were the only person living, he'd still die just for you. --- Uranium101

#8    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 09:18 AM

Thanx Uranium  original.gif  

#9    uranium101

uranium101

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 06:01 PM

maybe it's because i'm a republican...

Jesus died for everyone, but if you were the only person living, he'd still die just for you. --- Uranium101

#10    cat_dewitt

cat_dewitt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 09:27 PM

My grandfather passed away and after he died there would be the smell of his pipe in my parents' car or near me when i went into a store or just around me when i was at home. I'd say that it's your mom to let you know that she's there. i hope that you have a good relationship with her but if you don't then now would be a good time to talk to her spirit and reconcile things so that she can rest easy.
Good luck and may her presence be a comfort.
Cat

#11    melissa

melissa

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 12:18 AM

i have experiencrd smells as an auora or a clue to pay attention. something would always happen shortly after and i would then remember the smell.sometimes there would be.  

#12    Inspekta_X

Inspekta_X

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 12:27 AM

Ive head many stories like this, As already stipulated it could very well be the ghost of his mother, But being a reformed smoker myself, i can now detect even the slightest cigarette smell, Just accross from my office building is a Kitchen manufactuing workshop, Everytime they have smoko (Morning Tea for you non-aussies grin2.gif ) The smell wafts all the way from them through walls, stairs & windows into my nose  crying.gif  So it is still possible that the smell could be comming from a neighbour a bit further away from this guy, Cig smoke is daym strong and can travel great distances.  

Inspekta_X - The X Stands For Xpercondiferentialcondiral

#13    cerberus

cerberus

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• Hello Kitty

Posted 06 August 2003 - 06:40 PM

As ever, i had a brainwave. lol

You should start a quit smoking campaign, where ppl come into your house, smell the awful smell they are unaware they smell of, and then you can ask a fee!  whistling2.gif

As for houses haunted by the smell of roses...  rolleyes.gif

You save a fortune on deodorising sprays and plug in air fresheners for your house!  wink2.gif  thumbsup.gif

See, im not just a pretty face...  grin2.gif

Actually... lol i aint got a pretty face come to think of it!  laugh.gif  

#14    Aslan

Aslan

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

• Scariest Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 06 August 2003 - 06:53 PM

Just as a question, why would cigarettes in particular be the choice of an intelligence which wishes to make it's presence known. I understand that the grandmother smoked for many years, but she had stopped for some years before she died. Surely in these intervening years there something else would arise that would be inextricably associated with her - something she said, maybe, the way she laughed, some object she loved, the clothes she always wore.

If this is, as some people have suggested, the spirit of the grandmother offering some token of her survival, surely she would have chosen something less ambiguous. I mean, it's quite an important message, isn't it - here is evidence of my immortality. Why choose something so open to interpretation ? And even the original post points out that his grandmother smoked almost as an afterthought, indicating that it wasn't very near the top of the list when he was trying to figure it all out.

#15    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,906 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 07:09 PM

Hmm, good question.

Could it be that the phenomenon, in this case the cigarette smoke, is actually caused by some sort of unconscious link between the dead grandmother and the person being haunted.

The link would have to be something that the person attributes with the dead person, and is affected by, but it does not have to be a modern or fresh association, as you said:

If this is, as some people have suggested, the spirit of the grandmother offering some token of her survival, surely she would have chosen something less ambiguous. I mean, it's quite an important message, isn't it - here is evidence of my immortality. Why choose something so open to interpretation ? And even the original post points out that his grandmother smoked almost as an afterthought, indicating that it wasn't very near the top of the list when he was trying to figure it all out.

Why indeed.

If the grandmother smoked a while back, and it used to leave an impression on the person being haunted, then the smoke as the result of a haunting would not be totally out of place, as the person haunted would of either liked the smell, or not liked it.

"We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences."
David Gemmell

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users