Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Write your Representative!

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    Bizarro

Bizarro

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 05:28 PM

this is mainly for people in the USA...

the RIAA has started filing lawsuits against people who use file sharing networks, like KazAA.  if you haven't heard they are suing people to make examples of them.  i have heard of parents getting summons for the actions of their kids, as well as grandparents.  most of these people have only a couple hundred songs on their computer and are not major distributors of illegal music.  the RIAA is seeking money in damages.

this is insanity!  if you believe in the right to use a file sharing network you should stand up and be heard.  at the present time there are 55 million people who are possible targets for legal action.  that is more than voted for Bush in the last election.  

please write letters to your representatives and ISPs.  please encourage them to stop this witchhunt or take legal action against the RIAA for violating your right to privacy.  do not let them rob innocent people who just happen to have some MP3's on their computer.  just having a copy of a song is not the same as stealing a CD- unless you are making and selling copies.  please help stop this nonsense now!

if there was a meteor,
adrift amongst space,
set about on a collision course
not with Earth, but my face...
i wonder if id even know,
at what time i might,
be passed off like an old style
and by the meteor be smite?

- me, 1997

#2    Pale_Horse

Pale_Horse

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 07:24 PM

Are Kazaa users the only ones being targeted?  What about BearShare or WinMX users?

My hair's turnin' white, my neck's always been red, my collar's still blue.
We've always been here tryin' to sing the truth to you.
Guess you could say we've always been red, white and blue.

Let's do it again!

#3    dust19

dust19

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 07:50 PM

umm, just get your music from USENET. Or disable uploads on your client (but i guess that is what they want)

#4    Bizarro

Bizarro

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 09:38 PM

no, they are targeting anyone with copyrighted music who distributes it.  

if there was a meteor,
adrift amongst space,
at what time i might,

- me, 1997

#5    Anirbas

Anirbas

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

• Put your big girl panties on and DEAL with it!

Posted 02 August 2003 - 04:59 AM

Wait I am confused on a few things. I was told that Kazaa was legal (read this on their webpage) because the advertizers pay your portion. Also does this include the ones that you have to pay for? My friend and I wrote our rep when the crap blew up about Napster - he said - it's not something for us to worry about (us being the officals)

Whatever hits the fan will be distributed evenly!

Lord keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth!!!

My life is 10% what happens to me and 90% what I make of it!

#6    Bizarro

Bizarro

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 05:32 AM

KaZAA is not legal. if KaZAA was a legal entity (here) it would have already been shut down but the RIAA can't find anyone to sue in the USA to do that.  KaZAA  found a way to dodge what happened to Napster.  however, now the RIAA is going after the users of KaZAA instead of KaZAA itself.  that's why you should write your representative.

if there was a meteor,
adrift amongst space,
at what time i might,

- me, 1997

#7    Anirbas

Anirbas

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 06:39 AM

ok now i am really mad! I made a CD for church using that!

#8    FreyKade

FreyKade

Psychic Spy

• 1,416 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 02:58 PM

so gfar i think they have only targeted kazaa and morpheus users

"isn't that intresting Dave, i mean every step you take down that chain, takes you one step further from your imagination"

i said
"you're right! youre a bit of a hippy, but you're right"
- Dave Gorman

"Wanna buy some pegs Dave?"
"I got some pegs belonging to you"
- Papa Lazarou

#9    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 02 August 2003 - 03:28 PM

So what, am I gonna get sued for every mix cd I've ever burned?  That's ridiculous.

Nothing to see here.

#10    Agent_L

Agent_L

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 06:54 PM

Okay a few points on this:

1. KaZaa sucks anyway.
2. Its only illegal if you get caught or there is enough evidence to support that you have broken the law.
3. Im not 100% on this but if you own a original CD lets say "Now 55" then there should be no reason why you cannot download the songs from KaZaa then burn them to disk for a copy for lets say your car. As long as you dont sell that copy on to other people.
4. The feds are too slow to stop these kinda things going on.
5. Do the FBI or whoever it is trying to stop this have juerestiction to search British Pc's?

#11    Blood Angel

Blood Angel

Poltergeist

• 2,389 posts

• Deus Ex Conspiratio

Posted 02 August 2003 - 07:01 PM

they can pry the evidence out my cold dead hard drive.....seriously though it does effect the music industry, but the idea of *sueing* at least 4 million users of kazaa and morpheus the legal fees woul be so staggering they would probably put them selves out of buisness especially when half of the cases will fail, sooner or later someone will find a legal loophole and tell the rest...

ph34r.gif gunsmilie.gif

Fight Win Prevail - me
No guts No Glory - me
Cadjole....i like that word, so much more sophisticated than bludgeon.
Vicious says: You are saying impudence to me! That is impudence!!!1

#12    Anirbas

Anirbas

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 03:52 AM

Hey does this bill have a name or anything - I mean is there anything in specific I should mention when I write?

#13    Anirbas

Anirbas

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 03:54 AM

Oh I got this website from somewhere??? FOrget where http://www.eff.org/IP/P2P/riaasubpoenas/

#14    Space Moose

Space Moose

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 03:16 AM

QUOTE (Bizarro @ Aug 2 2003, 05:32 AM)
KaZAA is not legal. if KaZAA was a legal entity (here) it would have already been shut down but the RIAA can't find anyone to sue in the USA to do that.  KaZAA  found a way to dodge what happened to Napster.  however, now the RIAA is going after the users of KaZAA instead of KaZAA itself.  that's why you should write your representative.

The difference between Kazaa and Napster is that Kazaa has no server that holds lists of songs like Napster had.  With Napster, you logged on and quickly uploaded a list of the mp3s that you had and that info was added to a large database for others to search.  Kazaa has no such list, it simply poles each computer that is hooked up to the service and gives you results based on that.  In that sense, there is no Kazaa.

Kazaa itself is not illegal, what you do with Kazaa becomes illegal.  Should you download something that you are not entitled to have or should you distribute (share) something which is not yours to give away, those are illegal acts.  However, if you are among the very few that own or are granted a licene to everything you download and do no distribute, you are fine.

What it comes down to is, if you are downloading something which you are not entitled to, you are a thief.  If you are assisting others by offering files for them to steal, you are also guilty since you are aiding and abbetting a crime.  Download all you want but do so knowing that you are in no way in the right on this issue, no matter what you believe about intellectual property rights.

Its only illegal if you get caught or there is enough evidence to support that you have broken the law.

Getting caught does not make actions legal or illegal, it simply means that you will be held accountable for your actions.

Im not 100% on this but if you own a original CD lets say "Now 55" then there should be no reason why you cannot download the songs from KaZaa then burn them to disk for a copy for lets say your car. As long as you dont sell that copy on to other people.

That depends on where you are and what it is.  Check your local laws.  The penalties are certinaly much worse when you start trying to profit from the venture though, and that is the case pretty much around the world.

Do the FBI or whoever it is trying to stop this have juerestiction to search British Pc's?

Firstly, they are not really searching since you are volunteering the information.  For all intent and purpose, you may as well get on the phone and tell them about all of your MP3s.  Could the FBI tell anyone what they found?  Well, they can tell whomever they want if the information was made public in the first place.

they can pry the evidence out my cold dead hard drive.....seriously though it does effect the music industry, but the idea of *sueing* at least 4 million users of kazaa and morpheus the legal fees woul be so staggering they would probably put them selves out of buisness especially when half of the cases will fail, sooner or later someone will find a legal loophole and tell the rest...

I think they are relying on the fear that they can instill in people by threatening a lawsuit.  Perhaps they couldn't pay enough lawyers to handle 4 million people, but what if they can pay for 3.5 million?  Do you want to be in the lucky 500,000 or the unlucky 3.5 million?

There are no guarntees that the cases will fail.  There is no guarntee that there will be a legal loophole.  Do you want to put it all on the line for something that might not come to be?

#15    Bizarro

Bizarro

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 04:31 AM

umm, Spacemoose, i was simply refuting what Sabrina said.  she said it was legal (in use) and i meant it was illegal (in use).  

What it comes down to is, if you are downloading something which you are not entitled to, you are a thief. If you are assisting others by offering files for them to steal, you are also guilty since you are aiding and abbetting a crime. Download all you want but do so knowing that you are in no way in the right on this issue, no matter what you believe about intellectual property rights.

let me ask you a question Mr. Bigshot:

where does the right of a person to their culture begin?  humanity has a distinct reliance on culture.  for millenia that culture has been free.  suddenly, in our modern times, someone decided to make a profit off of culture.  

an artist performs a song.  i hear that song.  i sing that song in my head.  someone else hears that same song and sings it in their head.  millions of us do the same thing and all sing it in our heads.  who owns the song?  the performer, or the people who sing it?  one cannot exist without the other.  the performer gets paid by a middleman who reaps profit from his talent.  that middleman charges outlandish prices to sell a song to people who would like to listen to it on their stereo.  sure, it costs money to produce the song and distribute it, but they go well beyond that cost and charge more strictly to fatten their own wallets.  the performers get wealthy, but the middlemen get more wealthy.  would the song exist without these middlemen?  YES.  so its ok for these middlemen to rob us, the people who would like access to our culture, yet we are wrong to take from them?  PFFFFF.

what are we actually taking from them?  a copy of a file that produces sound on your computer.  we aren't taking their actual music, just a copy of that music.  am i making any profit from my MP3 collection(ie. selling it)?  am i claiming to be the performer of that sound produced by the MP3?  i haven't stolen anything.  the middlemen CLAIM i am stealing their profit, but profit is not something that is a definite thing.  profits fluctuate in uncertain economies.  right now, their profits are down(much like any other business in this economy), yet they claim its because of file sharing.  they claim the right to sue me because i have a copy of a song on my computer.  how do they know i would have purchased that song otherwise?  i wouldn't have, but the free access to it might convince me to actually buy it.  they are the criminals here, suing people who haven't committed any crime.  its like someone else mentioned in another topic on this issue, what will come next?  will we not be allowed to own tape players because we could record a song on the radio?  no VCRs because we might tape a TV show?  will ABC suddenly claim a loss of profits because people stop buying their tapes of programs and just tape the shows themselves?  will we ban cameras because they might capture an image of someone's intellectual property?

information wants to be free.  the reason MP3's are so popular is because for the first time in history there is a giant online music library available for free.  people wouldn't buy most of those songs, but if they can have free access to them they will download them.  culture is contagious.  people get a taste and they want more and more of it.  as connection speeds increase, look for movies to go the same path.  people will collect movies like they collect music now and then then look for the big production companies to whine about it and start suing.  eventually, these profiteers will lose out though.  people will realize that having access to all of the history of our culture in our own homes is a very valuable thing.  people don't want to go to the library to read a book anymore, they want everything in their own home.  that is not a crime, its inevitability.  you cannot prevent progress, you simply have to adapt and create a better product.  the RIAA is not doing that.  they are dying and attempting to survive not by adapting and creating a better product but by hindering progress.  that never works.  people will not stand for these witchhunt lawsuits.  just wait and see.  

if there was a meteor,
adrift amongst space,
at what time i might,

- me, 1997

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users