Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Write your Representative!

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31    Kira

Kira

Government Agent

• 4,183 posts

• Sexiest,
    Prettiest,
    Bloodthirstiest,
    Elf Member of the
    Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps.

Thanks TO xx

Posted 07 August 2003 - 11:23 AM

TO it's the same here too, although I know many people do it...... whistling2.gif  

We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.

#32    Bizarro

Bizarro

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 02:45 PM

Spacemoose, i have no problem with arguing a point with you but apparently youve reached the point where you cannot continue this as a civil discussion.  despite that, i will answer your points:

its funny that you bring up Disney because did you know they can sue you for drawing Mickey Mouse?  you are allowed to draw anything in the world except for something that is a corporation's intellectual property.  its like you said, they employ people to draw Mickey.  if i drew Mickey they could sue me for millions and id be helpless because i don't have laws built to protect me from congregates of people working under the auspices of a corporation.... im just a citizen.  the laws of this nation are totally in favor of the corporations.  they have all kinds of protections from the people, in the form of laws made through powerful lobbying.  where is the protection for the people from the corporations?  hmm?  do you like Andy Warhol's art?  if someone tried to do that type of art today, they would be sued for copyright violation.  

that whole car argument of your's... a car is a physical object.  did i say going into a record store and stealing a cd was acceptable?  no.  a digital copy is not stealing any of their physical property, its a copy that exists on its own.  

i am not wrong about culture being free.  youre wrong because you believe only things with value are worthy of human pursuit.  culture is a problem for a capitalist society because things of no instrumental value are rare.  music has an intrinsic value that is difficult to deny.  our society has tried to adapt it into a product but music is not a product by its nature.  it is something that we value in a totally different way than we value physical things.  its a huge stretch to jump from saying you own a physical production of a song (ie. a CD) to saying you own the song.  songs cannot be owned.  they can be written by someone, but that is the extent of their ownership.  songs are modified and changed through the human experience.  look at songs we consider classics:  the Star Spangled Banner.  maybe you don't consider it a classic but its a classic here.  the Star Spangled Banner is sung over the music to another song (god save the queen?, i dont know it).  did anyone sue Francis Key for copyright violation?  that kind of thing was common in his day and it should be common in ours.  music is something that is modified and changed and made better.  when you say you own an idea (music) that is wrong.  ideas change and you cannot own another person's mind.  you cannot limit their right to think as they choose.  

the artist X thing. im an artist.  ive had my images taken by others and modified slightly.  that is art.  artists are inspired by each other and take ideas from each other.  whole movements start when a group of artists take up the same idea and work it from their own perspective.   i have my images copyrighted only because it would be wrong for someone to take them from my website and claim they created them.  i created them.  i don't care if people take my images to share with each other digitally.  i am a digital artist- that kind of thing is implied in what i do.  i am the only one who has the right to print them and sell them.   i get more attention when people reproduce my images and transfer them.  they may just end up in the hands of someone who is interested in buying a print from me or allowing me to display in their gallery.   the goal of art is not to make money(although its nice) but to get your work in front of an audience.  when you find that audience, you are a successful artist.  

the communist thing.  yes, i see you as being more communist for believing that laws can protect a corporation's intellectual property rights.  i think capitalism is a bizarro communist system.  capitalism protects corporations with communistic laws.  communists tell you what to think, what is acceptable thought and what is not.  i can walk outside and scream "i hate Bush" without going to jail but i couldn't walk out and paint Mickey Mouse on the side of my barn.  hmm.  now, why is China such a bad place again?  in China you go to jail for criticizing the system, and here you go to jail for messing with the real government... the corporations.  

money in pockets = less brutish and nasty lives?  boy, you must worship at the big dollar sign idol.  i could argue that money makes brutish and nasty lives but its pointless.

you seem totally unable to grasp that profit is never guaranteed.  what if a machine existed that could replicate objects?  it could replicate food, toys, gadgets and other small objects.  would this be a good thing?  i think it would be great.  imagine all the good it could do, save all that time and effort to produce those things... but it would also put people out of business.  could food growers sue the inventor of this object? or the owners of the replicators who used them to make food or gadgets?  would using it to make a copy of a digital camera invented by Sony be stealing or would the value of replication outweigh the rights of Sony?  this is the situation we are in with MP3s and music.  we have that technology available now and it can give us all the power to replicate with perfect precision music that is available.  its not going to stop.  people will use this power, just as they would replicate other things if the technology existed.  sure, profits will die but the good outweighs the bad.  access to all that music is a good thing and something most people want.  its the companies trying to stop it who are holding our progress back.  if a machine that could replicate food existed today, someone would try to destroy it!  it would be horrible for the profits of all those food growers.  what is wrong with this sort of thinking, Spacemoose?  it holds humanity back at the expense of playing some money making game.  humanity deserves to come first.  profits are never worth more than a person.  they never should be worth more than a person.  music has been liberated from being expensive to produce and distribute.  these music companies have to adapt to the change and accept it, just as food growers should do if we could ever replicate food.  its called progress.  

if there was a meteor,
adrift amongst space,
set about on a collision course
not with Earth, but my face...
i wonder if id even know,
at what time i might,
be passed off like an old style
and by the meteor be smite?

- me, 1997

#33    FreyKade

FreyKade

Psychic Spy

• 1,416 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 01:17 PM

can you get sued by disney if you buy one of their programs whaich sks you to draw over their previous dawing  

"isn't that intresting Dave, i mean every step you take down that chain, takes you one step further from your imagination"

i said
"you're right! youre a bit of a hippy, but you're right"
- Dave Gorman

"Wanna buy some pegs Dave?"
"I got some pegs belonging to you"
- Papa Lazarou

#34    FreyKade

FreyKade

Psychic Spy

• 1,416 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 01:20 PM

im not livivg in australia then!

and anirbas, im not sure if its legal that way, you may want to ask them

"isn't that intresting Dave, i mean every step you take down that chain, takes you one step further from your imagination"

i said
"you're right! youre a bit of a hippy, but you're right"
- Dave Gorman

"Wanna buy some pegs Dave?"
"I got some pegs belonging to you"
- Papa Lazarou

#35    Bizarro

Bizarro

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 01:58 PM

got the first letter back from my representative.  seems he was a co-sponser of a bill to crack down on copyright infringement.  he wasn't very pleased with my position.  funny, i didn't vote for him  laugh.gif  

if there was a meteor,
adrift amongst space,
set about on a collision course
not with Earth, but my face...
i wonder if id even know,
at what time i might,
be passed off like an old style
and by the meteor be smite?

- me, 1997

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users