Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ghosts, Scents, Apparitions... ?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 03 August 2003 - 04:43 PM

hmm, i hadn't considered repeat viewings by different unconnected witnesses at seperate times. The only way that could be satisfactorily (is that a word?) explained would be prior knowledge. Unless we assume the unlikely event that they are all lying when they say that they had no expectations of the ghost, i'm stumped on that one.  grin2.gif

I would say on the 'mild conceit' front that when you have many witnesses to the same event at the same time and location, that is where the safety in numbers comes in. If they are all saying the same thing the possibility of ridicule is reduced.

That said it's back to the drawing board!  laugh.gif  

never take me too seriously

#17    uranium101

uranium101

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 06:17 PM

this is getting scientific, so i'm signing off. CASE CLOSED BY LACK OF EVIDENCE.

Jesus died for everyone, but if you were the only person living, he'd still die just for you. --- Uranium101

#18    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 03 August 2003 - 06:22 PM

U101 - You may as well close the case on everyting this forum deals with, as by virtue of it being about the unexplained means there is a lack of evidence - it wouldn't be unexplained otherwise  laugh.gif  

never take me too seriously

#19    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 01:46 AM

I must say that I really , really enjoy reading all these neuron stimulating posts , I can feel the wee electrical pulses flashing through my brain with each new theory put forward .
  Purple Stuart was pretty much on the money a few posts back with the experiences I was refering to .
It certainly could not work as a blanket theory for all ghostly encounters , however it could work for those experiences where a familly member awakes the night of the funeral or several days after the death of a loved one and see's an apparition . These apear to be very comon occurences and may well be influenced by a smell that lingers on you from dealing with clothing , bedding , favorite flowers for the funeral ect.ect. and so on .
  I must say it certainly wouldn't account for multiple witness events or even your basic replay .  But then Sleep Paralisis dosen't cover all abductions or ghostly experiences either .
Infact in most cases multiple sighting ( I don't believe in mass hallucination ) events are the best evidence we have .  

#20    Nancy

Nancy

Psychic Spy

• 1,106 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 03:12 AM

I must admit, that after reading all posts in this thread, my poor brain is a
tad "mushy" ...  far too intelligent for me to comprehend.

However.... I have a question. So far, the entire discussion revolves around "human interaction" with scientific and non-scientific explanations.

Has anyone considered the way animals respond to "ghosts" ??? Yes, I do accept that family pets can "pick up" on their owners emotions, fears, etc.

But... I have had many canines in my life who have reacted totally out of the
ordinary when 'strange' happenings, happen.

A few quick examples.
1. My mother's cremains were brought by me, across country and placed in my
back bedroom, until I could make arrangements for her ashes to be scattered.

From THAT first day, my dog would cower, whimper and NOT go into that room.
He would sit not far from the doorway and utter a low growl... not threatening, just as if a small 'warning'....... He never went back into that room, until the cremains were removed.

2. The house in which I currently reside has unusual "activity".... Lights going off and on with no explanation. TV turns off and on around the same time, each afternoon...... Yes, I've had the wiring checked, no problems found.

He also stares quite a lot in various rooms, then RUNS from them with his tail between his legs.

He seems to know "in advance" before the lights flicker or the TV gets 'goofy'

Just some "food for thought"
Any suggestions?     whistling2.gif  

dying is easy ... tis the living that's hard...

#21    Lionel

Lionel

Poltergeist

• 2,449 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 07:03 AM

This theory might explain a few cases, it definately does not explain all. I have a question though....

Why is it that most sightings are of someone close, like a member of the family or a close friend ? I have never read about someone seeing an unkonwn person.

He who walks in another's tracks leaves no footprints. Joan Brannon

#22    Lionel

Lionel

Poltergeist

• 2,449 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 07:56 AM

Nancy has an intresting question....

I'll try and answer your question.....

All object in this universe are vibrating - vibrating at different frquencies.
The frequency of visible light is referred to as color, and ranges from 430 trillion Hz, seen as red, to 750 trillion Hz, seen as violet.

The Frequency of Vibration of Radio waves, Microwaves and Infrared Rays are below 430 trillion Hz. They are Invisible.

The Frequency of Vibration of Ultravoilet rays, X-Rays and Gamma Rays are above 750 trillion Hz. They are invisible too.

The Naked Human eye can see anything that vibrates between 430 trillion to 750 trillion Hz..... The rest is invisible although they exist.

Ghosts/Spirits vibrate at frequencies below 430 trillion Hz. I make this assumption based on the fact that Ghost Hunters use Infrared meters to detect a presene (I might be wrong) and frequency of vibrations of Infrared rays are below 430 trillion Hz. This might explain why all human beings are unable to see Ghosts/Spirits.

Animals on the other hand are able to see objects vibrating at a frequency much lesser than that of human beings. A dog or a cat will be able to detect/see a presence even if humans present are not able to see anything.

This post is subject to scrutiny....  wub.gif

I hope this helps

#23    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 08:36 AM

Why is it that most sightings are of someone close, like a member of the family or a close friend ? I have never read about someone seeing an unkonwn person.
actually there are quite a few recorded cases that don't involve familly or close friends .
As is with the case of the young plumber who encountered an entire legion of spectral Roman soldiers in an English basement , and not one of them even a distant cousin .
Welcome aboard Lionel  thumbsup.gif

It's good to have you post Nancy  original.gif   The original theory could perhaps work twice as effectively for animals with a greater sence of smell , or perhaps it wouldn't work at all for them . I don't know ?
I think Lionels pretty much sumed up the currently popular theory for animal sensetivety , me I'm still holding onto the pheromones theory . rolleyes.gif  

#24    Lionel

Lionel

Poltergeist

• 2,449 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 09:08 AM

Thanks Kismit... U Finally noticed me... And what's with this new Avtaar of yours.. grin2.gif  

#25    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 09:21 AM

I like the Pink Elephant . You just don't see that many around these days ..  huh.gif  

#26    Lionel

Lionel

Poltergeist

• 2,449 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 09:32 AM

Whats the pheromones theory ?

#27    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 09:40 AM

It's something like this .  Ghosts/spirits/poltergiests feed off and are attracted to pheromones . With the result being something along the lines of a poltergiest ataching itself to a pheromone / hormone producing teenager .
Now it stands to reason that if a ghost is attracted to and feeds off pheromones then it probably excretes them aswell . Something that would be picked up by animals like cats dogs and small rodents quite easilly . Just a theory ...

#28    Aslan

Aslan

Psychic Spy

• 1,523 posts

• Scariest Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 04 August 2003 - 07:02 PM

While Kismit's pheremone theory is clever and pleasantly self-contained, I fear that it raises more questions than it answers.

For example the notion that ghosts excrete pheremones. This indicates that ghosts are attracted to pheremones because they feed off pheremones, and after that, are still somehow capable of the opposing biological function. The theory that ghosts are drawn to the vibrancy of youth, perhaps the vibrancy expressed in 'pheremone discharge' is all well and good, it surely makes more sense to think of this attraction in terms of desire rather than sustenance.

I, for example, can always be found hanging around dingy jazz clubs, because I am attracted to jazz. It makes me feel good and happy and alive. I hardly need to point out that I do not excrete jazz music (although to be fair, some of the less talented musicians could be described as doing this).

Facetious example, I realise, but my point is there. Attraction doesn't neccesarily imply physical need. If dogs or cats were attracted to pheremones discharged by a ghost, there isn't much of a reason why they wouldn't be attracted to the source of the pheremones in the first place - the living person.

#29    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 04 August 2003 - 07:19 PM

Ah, this thread has forced me to expand my otherwise short attention span.  Really, I don't have one, it's all smoke and mirrors.

Anyhow, on the subject.  All these theories can be applied to one haunting case or another, but they fail to explain them all.  In fact, the only way we'll ever have a theory that makes sense of it all is if these apparitions suddenly stand up and wave and say "Hey, we're here."  Until then all we're gonna have is theory and conjecture.  I'm a skeptic, I want to see direct evidence, and the least complex explanation is most times the most correct.  Ockham's razor, I believe it's called.  Strangely, the simplest explanation is sometimes the most fantastic, which is why some of the theories proposed by scientists make pull no water with me, they seem too complex.  All of us, skeptical or not, on some level believe in the paranormal or we wouldn't be on this forum.  
And besides, making up theories is kinda fun laugh.gif  

Nothing to see here.

#30    Aslan

Aslan

Psychic Spy

• 1,523 posts

• Scariest Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 04 August 2003 - 08:19 PM

Ockham's razor, I believe it's called. Strangely, the simplest explanation is sometimes the most fantastic,

My favourite quote regarding the supernatural:

The normally fairly sceptical William Crookes, when confronted by 'anti-spiritualists' enraged at his belief in the 'medium' DD Home...

I didn't say it was possible - I said it was true.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users