Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

MEG

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#16    Great Big Sea

Great Big Sea

Poltergeist

• 2,459 posts

• I've never thought that I'd have more Captain America plashes then my two year old Nephew. :P

Posted 27 September 2005 - 04:34 PM

I believe that the Meg died off many years ago. At first I thought that this thread was about food chemicals! Wait maybe I'm thinking of MSG. But gettting back to the topic at hand, I don't think that the Meg could last and I doubt that we have the food sources that it would need to surivive today.

"This is probably the strangest position I've been in on this show." Adam Savage.

"Notice how he says "On this Show." Kari Byron

Mythbusters.

#17    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:08 PM

That's plain silly, warm blooded whales eat far more food than sharks of the same size.   Cousteau said the surviving sperm whales consume a biomass in marine oganisms each year eviqualent to the entire human race!  It just shows you how much "life" is still in the ocean despite human depredations.

#18    saladins follower

saladins follower

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

• screw bush,im going back to africa

Posted 28 September 2005 - 03:15 AM

CAN you verify that info

#19    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 11:23 AM

You could probably get an good idea how accurate that is by calculating the known amount of food a killer whale in captivitiy eats daily, scaling it up to the size/weight of a sperm whale, and then multiplying it by the number of sperm whales believed to be inhabiting the oceans.  But it is a well established fact that cold blooded animals require far less food than warm blooded animals of the same size.  This is not to say that a huge shark couldn't eat an amazingly huge meal, but unlike a whale, the shark could go much longer without food.

#20    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 28 September 2005 - 05:36 PM

So what this means is, our oceans could reasonably support a decent sized population of big sharks. And since they don't need air, therefore have no reason to surface, and most likely live way down in the dark, we may never find one.

Nothing to see here.

#21    saladins follower

saladins follower

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

• screw bush,im going back to africa

Posted 29 September 2005 - 02:54 AM

the meg was the cousin of the great white, and the mako... which are both warm blooded sharks,sheesh havent u read the first page  disgust.gif

#22    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 11:30 AM

Some cold blooded animals like sharks have the ability to raise their body temperatures slighlty higher than the surrounding water temperature, but it is nothing like the heat produced by warm blooded animals.  If sharks were true endotherms/warm bloods they would have layers of blubber and/or fur or feathers, to insulate their bodies to retain that heat.  They are only a bit warmer due to a kind of "friction" created by their constantly moving bodies.  I believe any aquarium attendant could confirm that between a "warm" shark and porpoise/whale of the same weight, the mammal must be fed far more because of its much higher metabolic rate.  Sharks also have a very slow rate of digestion as indicated by the famous incident of the remarkably intact human arm regurgitated by an aquarium shark.  If it had been swallowed by an orca,  the flesh would have been gone in a matter of a few hours.

But all of this actually speaks in favor of the existence of the Meg, for those who question it on the grounds of there being "not enough food in the ocean".  I merely question it because the sperm whale is a more intelligent and efficient top order marine predator in the deep ocean, and in most environments there is only one "top" animal and the competitors go extinct.

#23    SilentB0B

SilentB0B

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

• Snoochie Boochie

Posted 30 September 2005 - 03:05 AM

So what this means is, our oceans could reasonably support a decent sized population of big sharks. And since they don't need air, therefore have no reason to surface, and most likely live way down in the dark, we may never find one.

Also because sharks have no swim bladder a dead shark would never be found since it would never surface or wash up.... its almost enough to stop me from scuba diving but not quite enough

Any momentary triumph you think gained through argument is really a Pyrrhic victory The resentment and ill will you stir up is stronger and lasts longer than any momentary change of opinion. Demonstrate, do not explicate.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(><)
/_|_\ Copy the bunny to your signature to help him achieve world domination!

#24    Paulwhale

Paulwhale

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 04:17 PM

Megalodon.

Source

google Megalodon

OMG, there is no proof on meg larger than 14 meters long, and wqe discussed this on crypto forum, sharks only seem more scary, while there is an animal that should be feared much more than shark, sperm whale (sorry about that), cause it is way more powerful than any megalodon ever existed, why people want to talk about meg? largest and most powerful toothed creature ever existed is sperm whale (not including man). As draconic chrinicler pointed out very good, there are people that survived shark attacks, but it is VERY unlikely that a human survives sperm whale attack, if such occurs.

what about food source for meg? ocean now is as abundant with food as it was then.

you mean that the deeper we go, the bigger sharks we may find Silent BOB?

Edited by Paulwhale, 01 October 2005 - 05:23 PM.

#25    Paulwhale

Paulwhale

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 04:20 PM

CAN you verify that info

OMG, do you now ANYTHING about endothermy or ecdothermy at all?

I will not explain to you why warm-blooded creatures have to consume WAY more food than cold-blooded.

#26    Paulwhale

Paulwhale

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 06:30 PM

Paulwhale Posted Today, 08:20 AM
  QUOTE(saladins follower @ Sep 28 2005, 03:15 AM)

CAN you verify that info
OMG, do you now ANYTHING about endothermy or ecdothermy at all?

I will not explain to you why warm-blooded creatures have to consume WAY more food than cold-blooded.

Paul, you did not even need to post this, someone already explained that info, and also don't be so rude, some people might not know that stuff, you very seldom here people on this forum being rude, so you shouldn't be either

Back on topic:
I do think the Megladon could still be alive, i mean we have explored very little of the ocean and there are probably a 1000 unknown animals in just like one percent of the ocean, though i do think the Meg adapted to it's current situation, for all we know their could be ten species of Megladon each which has adapted to it's own situation and eviornment, thats just my take on whether megs are still alive or not

sorry, saladins follower.

#27    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 02 October 2005 - 02:38 PM

Paulwhale, this is about Meg, not sperm whales...i came to this thread to talk about megs, and I see you post about how spermwhales are more powerful. plz dont do that...

Megalodons could very well be still alive. Thats the great thing about our oceans, mysterious and beautiful. The know just as much and just as little about our oceans as we do the cosmos! Coelecanth is still alive...crocodile, turtle, snakes are still alive! WHY NOT A MEGALODON!
who knows, it might not even be a Megalodon...it could be something much scarier, much more dangerous, and even bigger!

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#28    Paulwhale

Paulwhale

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 03:35 PM

Paulwhale, this is about Meg, not sperm whales...i came to this thread to talk about megs, and I see you post about how spermwhales are more powerful. plz dont do that...
Megalodons could very well be still alive. Thats the great thing about our oceans, mysterious and beautiful. The know just as much and just as little about our oceans as we do the cosmos! Coelecanth is still alive...crocodile, turtle, snakes are still alive! WHY NOT A MEGALODON!
who knows, it might not even be a Megalodon...it could be something much scarier, much more dangerous, and even bigger!

Sorry, dude, won't happen again,

but then we should make a new thread: About mysteries that are NOt known and that we don't have a clue about, like "SOMETHING" we were talking about, but I will be VERY sceptical.

You guys watch too much fantasy movies, whales are largest animals on earth, and species that are now on 3 place was on 2 in 18 century, before spermaceti hunters hunted it nearly to extinction.

#29    indeed

indeed

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

• The process of searching for a solution is more
    important than the solution itself.

Posted 02 October 2005 - 03:47 PM

Paul, how can you in one post say you wont post in here about whales but yet by the end you are again  hmm.gif huh.gif

You have to learn the difference between a hypothetical thread and one based on facts. Almost everything we know about Megs are theories, we know almost next to nothing about them.

Edited by indeed, 02 October 2005 - 03:58 PM.

#30    Paulwhale

Paulwhale

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 04:33 PM

Paul, how can you in one post say you wont post in here about whales but yet by the end you are again  hmm.gif huh.gif
You have to learn the difference between a hypothetical thread and one based on facts. Almost everything we know about Megs are theories, we know almost next to nothing about them.

we have teeth that suggest it's size.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users