Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Florida tourists warned of new gun law

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:34 PM

MIAMI, Florida (AP) -- Clark Ramm sees shades of the Wild West in Florida's new law giving greater legal protections to people who shoot or use other deadly force when threatened or attacked.

"It seems like everybody ought to be packing a piece," said Ramm, a visitor from Ukiah, California. "I don't know if that's the right thing to do."

Ramm and other tourists found out about the law Monday from a gun control group handing out leaflets at Miami International Airport.

The leaflets begin with the words "An Important Notice to Florida Visitors" in bold red type by the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

"Do not argue unnecessarily with local people," it says. "If someone appears to be angry with you, maintain to the best of your ability a positive attitude, and do not shout or make threatening gestures."

Florida's "stand your ground" law, which took effect Saturday, removes a duty on the part of citizens to retreat in the face of an attack as long as they are in a place they have a legal right to be, including a public street or their place of business.

It also gives immunity from criminal or civil charges to a shooter as long as the person shot is not a police officer.

Proponents of the measure, pushed by the National Rifle Association, say it will make Florida a safer place, not more dangerous. Gov. Jeb Bush has repeatedly pointed to a 34-year low in state crime statistics to demonstrate that Florida is not a haven for violence.

"It's pure, unadulterated politics," Bush said last week of the Brady Campaign's tactics. "Shame on them."

The Florida tourism industry, however, is taking the campaign seriously. Visit Florida, the state's official tourism marketing arm, issued a statement calling Florida "a very safe and secure destination that excels in caring for its visitors."

The statement said: "We believe that Americans and international visitors are smart enough to understand that the Brady Campaign is one group's political agenda and not a real safety issue."

Florida hosts more than 1 million visitors on any given day, with nearly 80 million tourists visiting the state in 2004, according to Visit Florida.

The Brady Campaign leaflets, which the group intends to hand out for about a month at the Miami and Orlando airports, call the measure the "Shoot First" law and urge people to "take sensible precautions" while visiting the state.

"There is no other state in the nation -- and no other civilized nation on Earth -- that has a law like this," said Brady Campaign spokesman Peter Hamm. "It could cause the most aggressive people in society to overreact."

The group also has taken out ads in major Detroit, Chicago, Boston and London newspapers about the new Florida law.

Several people handed leaflets at the Miami airport on Monday appeared taken aback by the new law.

"It's a little scary," said Melissa Vosberg, on her way home to the Chicago area after a cruise in the Bahamas. "It's 'shoot first, ask about it later."'
Source
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gun control loonies blowing it way out of proportion to get attention. rolleyes.gif It's no different then me going around with fliers screaming "aahhh stay inside, lightning will strike you!" laugh.gif

"It's a little scary," said Melissa Vosberg

Yeah, I bet it is even scarier to have to live in fear to run away. Stand your ground is excellent and I hope it moves out to other states. thumbsup.gif

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#2    Shivel

Shivel

Poltergeist

• 2,287 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:46 PM

So the people of florida now have the right to shoot someone when they feel it necessary? What happens when a paranoid loony takes advantage of this?  huh.gif

#3    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,167 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:55 PM

this is totaly insane, I see trouble in Florida, I'll just fly right over florida on my next  vacation to Cuba.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#4    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:21 PM

didn't this happen a while back already?  Like, isn't this old news?  I can't seem to open the source, dumb browser keeps crashing.

#5    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:29 PM

So the people of florida now have the right to shoot someone when they feel it necessary? What happens when a paranoid loony takes advantage of this?  huh.gif

I think you should have a right to defend yourself. thumbsup.gif And other laws will be in effect as well. yes.gif

this is totaly insane, I see trouble in Florida, I'll just fly right over florida on my next  vacation to Cuba.

That's your choice. yes.gif

didn't this happen a while back already?  Like, isn't this old news?  I can't seem to open the source, dumb browser keeps crashing.

Nah, it was posted today on CNN.com

Tuesday, October 4, 2005; Posted: 9:55 a.m. EDT (13:55 GMT)

Try copy and pasting the link:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/10/04/deadly.force.ap/index.html

original.gif

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#6    Nxt2Hvn

Nxt2Hvn

Alien Abducter

• 5,082 posts

• 'For we walk by faith, not by sight.' II Corinthians 5:7

Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:31 PM

I think you should have a right to defend yourself. thumbsup.gif And other laws will be in effect as well. yes.gif

Me too... as I carry my 9mm in my car at all times! thumbsup.gif

I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin. ~anonymous~

#7    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 08:11 PM

Ahh finally got to it!

Date's today... when did the law go into effect?  Today?

#8    I am me

I am me

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 08:22 PM

what happens when a paranoid loony does it period?  they do that sort of thing no matter the gun laws.

this will indeed make florida safer.  freedom = safety though it may seem backwards.

#9    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 09:05 PM

Ahh finally got to it!

Date's today... when did the law go into effect?  Today?

Florida's "stand your ground" law, which took effect Saturday,

thumbsup.gif

Just took the gun control loonies a couple days to print out sheets. tongue.gif

#10    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 09:12 PM

ugh, that's what I get for reading things too quick... thanks hehe...  I thought I had heard it somewhere before today...

I got caught up in the editorialization of the news in this article.  What about "News" includes "Wild Wild West"... not trying to give people any ideas are they?  Pick any person, 10 people, 100 people... I wonder how many it took them to get that quote: "It's a little scary," said Melissa Vosberg, on her way home to the Chicago area after a cruise in the Bahamas. "It's 'shoot first, ask about it later."'

And then leaving out the part where she said that it was a good law though and supports it fully... did she say that?  <snicker>

#11    Mekorig

Mekorig

Government Agent

• 3,577 posts

• A Lithium flower about to bloom

Posted 04 October 2005 - 10:00 PM

Has someone say, its a little scary . It isn't enough trust in you police corp, or are they soo bad in their job that a law permitting civilians to shoot if they sense threathned?

Im an evil pinko UN slave liberal commie

I don't think any of these "The Vague Society of Nebulous Meanies are going to take over the world and light up a planet" theories worry too much about practical considerations like that. It's all about rousing ill-informed, paranoiac fear, not making sense.

--Jaylemurph

Posted Image

#12    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 10:02 PM

Has someone say, its a little scary . It isn't enough trust in you police corp, or are they soo bad in their job that a law permitting civilians to shoot if they sense threathned?

Police can't be every where at once. If they could be... well crime wouldn't be to high. tongue.gif

#13    bboy

bboy

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 214 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 10:15 PM

Police can't be every where at once. If they could be... well crime wouldn't be to high. tongue.gif

Exactly, everytime someone brings that up I roll my eyes. If someone wants to do harm, they are going to do it, the police aren't always within shouting distance. It would make a bad criminal to break the law, when the law is present...... thumbsup.gif

#14    HotDogBun

HotDogBun

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 05:02 AM

go to www.justfacts.com

it;s a site dedicated to just compiling data on a number of issues and it doesnt have any real agenda... anyways, go there and read the statistics on gun control / gun ownership. It pretty much shows that concealed carry laws reduce crime (in particular in florida, in mniami in the mid eighties they legalized concealed carry and publicized the new rights quite a bit, which led to a HUGE decrease in the number of rapes, etc.) and the data basically debunks the gun control advocates on a molecular level.

#15    sanchera1978

sanchera1978

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 01:14 PM

It does actualy reduce the crime rate in alot of cities.  Most people that commit crimes for a living already carry guns and have no respect for the law. So allowing regular citzens to carry a gun is a good idea it makes the criminals think twice before harming someone else if there's the possibility that they might be the one's getting shot.  Its easy to rob from someone that is  defenseless totally different trying to rob someone that has a gun too. I know it seems like it would be total chaos but people who are stupid enough to shoot someone for no reason tend not to follow the law anyway... Here in colorado you can carry a concealed weapon as long as you dont have any felonies and take take some gun safety courses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users