Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

war imminent with N. Korea?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 12:04 PM

I agree that nuclear devices in the hands of rogue or unstable states is definately a nightmare and must be stopped.

Israel, however, has not confirmed being a nuclear power

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#17    Blood Angel

Blood Angel

Poltergeist

• 2,389 posts

• Deus Ex Conspiratio

Posted 13 August 2003 - 01:03 PM

Israel during Gulf war 2 declared they would use tactical nuclear weapons if the former iraqi dictatorship fired chemical or biological tipped scud missiles into israel.
i would say that would be pretty confirmed from this angle, on another point pakistan and india both have nuclear weapons and aren't too bothered about throwing them around either, especially after the nuke stand off they had last year.
It seems the nuclear proliferation treaty is meaningless, as britian along with the USA are still making TRIDENT SLBMS (submarine launched ballistic missiles) with nuclear warheads a payload of 25 megatons of uranium 235 isotopes. whatever happened to the "we aren't making any more bombs" statement? Its not just rogue states anymore its the whole world that needs to destroy them as a whole.

Fight Win Prevail - me
No guts No Glory - me
Cadjole....i like that word, so much more sophisticated than bludgeon.
Vicious says: You are saying impudence to me! That is impudence!!!1

#18    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 13 August 2003 - 07:03 PM

It's always struck me as odd that as a race we can create all these weapons of mutually assured destruction, send people to the moon, probes to every distant point in our solar system, but basic things like keeping all the people here fed seem to escape us.  Sorta off topic I know.

Nothing to see here.

#19    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 12:27 AM

QUOTE (Blood Angel @ Aug 13 2003, 09:03 AM)
It seems the nuclear proliferation treaty is meaningless, as britian along with the USA are still making TRIDENT SLBMS (submarine launched ballistic missiles) with nuclear warheads a payload of 25 megatons of uranium 235 isotopes. whatever happened to the "we aren't making any more bombs" statement? Its not just rogue states anymore its the whole world that needs to destroy them as a whole.

You are missing the point entirely with nuclear non-proliferation. I can't speak for Britian, but the U.S. is decreasing their stockpiles of nuclear weapons. They have to continue to produce weapons, at a slower rate, to maintain an updated stockpile due to older model nukes getting scrapped.

The whole world is not going to destroy nuclear weapons, nor do they need to. In fact, due to some non stable governments trying to acquire them, it is important for the more stable nuclear powers to maintain at least enough to provide an adequate deterrent.

#20    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 01:10 AM

QUOTE (Blood Angel @ Aug 13 2003, 09:03 AM)
Israel during Gulf war 2 declared they would use tactical nuclear weapons if the former iraqi dictatorship fired chemical or biological tipped scud missiles into israel.
i would say that would be pretty confirmed from this angle

The head of the Israeli air force warned that if the country were attacked by Iraq with chemical or biological weapons, it could respond with a nuclear strike. Israel has confirmed of having a nuclear weapons program, and of having nuclear devices. Israel also has confirmed having a 'vague nuclear deterrent', leaving to the imagination of Israel's enemies exactly what sort of retaliation they would face if they were attacked.
Since 1965 it has "refused to confirm or deny", although it has said that it "will not be the first to introduce them into the Middle East".
It has refused to sign the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, saying it cannot rely on international safeguards when it is in a permanent state of war with much of the Arab world.
However, I can't find anywhere that the government(any Israeli government) has confirmed or denied having nuclear weapons.

Please post your source that the Israeli government has confirmed Israel as being a nuclear power

#21    Blood Angel

Blood Angel

Poltergeist

• 2,389 posts

• Deus Ex Conspiratio

Posted 14 August 2003 - 02:08 AM

i see the point you are trying to make, but the fact remains that they said they would have used them, does that not make it confirmed? although their goverment hasn't officially confirmed their nuclear arsenal, and saying that they will use them when threatened, it do not see how it can't be confirmed. if they say they have them, why lie about it?

Fight Win Prevail - me
No guts No Glory - me

#22    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 11:56 AM

I agree with you. I know they have them, I was merely stating the position of their government. As to why their government hasn't made it official when it seems everyone else has, I really have no idea. I was thinking perhaps that if confirmed it would make their enemies even more vigorously persue them, but since their enemies already know they have them, I don't see how confirming it would change anything.

What do you mean the point I am trying to make? grin2.gif

just kidding original.gif

#23    Blood Angel

Blood Angel

Poltergeist

• 2,389 posts

• Deus Ex Conspiratio

Posted 14 August 2003 - 03:00 PM

Well if they nuke me all well and good, but don't exepect me to be ahppy about it lol, radiation is so hard to wash out even on a 90'c wash.

ph34r.gif gunsmilie.gif

Fight Win Prevail - me
No guts No Glory - me

#24    lil_kanga77

lil_kanga77

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 06:21 PM

While the majority of North Koreans live in poverty the Govt. continues to explore nuclear weaponry.

Seems crazy to me.

Sad for those millions of poeple.

sad.gif  

#25    sear

sear

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

Thank goodness we solved that problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic