Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Spontaneous Human Combustion

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,906 posts

Posted 04 March 2002 - 04:44 PM

I remember reading seeing an article in one of my moms old magazines, such as Chat or something similar, that cases of SHC are more likely to happen on the East coast of the UK than anywhere else in the country.  The reason put forward for this is the earths magnetic field is stronger there, then at any other point in the country.

"We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences."
David Gemmell

#2    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 04 March 2002 - 08:12 PM

But how can a magnetic field cause a body to burn up?   ???

I have always been curious about SHC.  It seems to only take a few minutes,  but no one ever actually sees it happen before their eyes (they've been as close as the next room, though).   :o

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

#3    crosis

crosis

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 04 March 2002 - 10:00 PM

http://www.csicop.org/si/9611/shc.html

:sh

Bristol society for paranormal research and investigations      Click here

#4    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,906 posts

Posted 09 March 2002 - 05:11 PM

I knew I kept it somewhere, this is what i read:

I HEARD MY BRAINS BUBBLING

Scientists believe they have solved the riddle of why people suddenly burst into flames.  According to research, it's all down to where you live.  So if yu want to avoid SHC just steer clear of Birmingham - or wear asbestos clothes.  David Jack reports......

Up to 100 people burst into flames in Britain each year in bizarre cases that hae baffled experts.
     Now scientists believe they have4 found the missing link and sinister 'fire leynes' have been plotted across Britain.
     The points of intersection become hotspots and if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time yu are more likely to go up in smoke.
     Birmingham has been a hotspot for some time, and other danger areas include:
           - Hull
           -London
           - Lincolnshire
           - Merseyside

Scientist Larry Arnold has studied SHC for 22 years and says Britain is the world hotspot, "there are more cases in the UK peer head of population than anywhere in the world".  he says.
     "in all my years, i have never discovered links between SHC and the people it strikes, but there are defenite geographical links, if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, you, your dog, your car, or your home, seems more likely to go up in flames".

Arnold charted these strange 'fire leynes' in his new book, ABLAZE! SHC.

He plotted more than 400 British cases and discovered "a veritable cartography of combustion".  
"we hav no way to explain thesecases other than these people burn themselves fromthe inside out."  he says.
     "we have medical evidence to show this and witnesses - even surviviors.  It's as bizarre as nature gets, yet mainstream science won't accep tit can happen."
       The most recent cycle of fires centred on the Birmingham area but a number of 'fire leynes' are set reactivate in the coming years, says Arnold.

"We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences."
David Gemmell

#5    Sheff_Pud

Sheff_Pud

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 March 2002 - 01:05 AM

Sorry to play wet blanket, but surely this phenomenon has been explained using the "candle effect"?
I saw a documentary on tv a while back, showing a pig which was ignited in a certain way (I forget how) and it slowly burned like a candle gradualy melting its own fat as it incinerated its entire body. The "fire" remained localised (as with a candle) and caused only localised burning of its surroundings.

Surgeons must be very carefulWhen they take the knife!Underneath their fine incisionsStirs the Culprit -- Life!                            (Emily Dickinson)

#6    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,906 posts

Posted 10 March 2002 - 12:23 PM

that has been disproved, in all the tests the fire does not get hot enough destroy the bone, it leaves it only blackened, to help it along they also got a blow torch and used that near the end, again this also did nothing, apart from make the bone completely black.  :sh

David Gemmell

#7    crosis

crosis

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 01:44 AM

Its old i know, but
http://www.urbanlegends.com/death/spontaneous.human.combustion/spontaneous_human_combustion.html

Bristol society for paranormal research and investigations      Click here

#8    Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2002 - 05:48 AM

Hello,

From the information i've gathered from the internet, SHC is either a very alien condition to modern science or impossible. First of all, the human body cannot burn so easily, have you ever seen a man's bare hand on fire without the presence of some sort of alchohol or liquid ignition? In order for a body to get enough alchohol inside them to ablaze from inside, they would die of alchohol poisioning first. Cases of SHC have seen burnt bodies in the middle of a rug, for example, with nothing else burnt around it, which makes it harder to explain how the body burned. Perhaps by a fire that did not burn the entire house, just the body and around it? It is a strange thing and interesting I agree, still, I don't believe that human bodies can ignite by themselves.

#9    Dowdy

Dowdy

Poltergeist

• 2,186 posts

• "The one thing we have learnt from history is that we learn nothing from history." Albert Einstein

Posted 13 March 2002 - 12:09 PM

i heard on this TV show once that SHC is caused when the electricity in your body short curcits

he didn't actually use those words but it was similar.

THE PAOMNNEHAL PWEOR OF THE HMUAN MNID Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. Can you? ;)

#10    Ghostboo

Ghostboo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 05:35 AM

i say either ghosts are doing it or aliens somewhere close by are pissed.

I'm bored all the time and that is why I'm....bored.

-Ghostboo

#11    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,906 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 07:55 PM

isn't it an Indian belief that if the chakras in the body misaline then something very similar happens?

i seem to remember reading this somewhere

David Gemmell

#12    GIZZIE

GIZZIE

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 08:24 PM

Ghost Boo

"Pissed" in English English means drunk so we have one of the "supposed" vital ingredients!

Sheff Pud (how's your head?!) I hope the pig was dead -if it was then the experiment was "nul" as we say in France meaning, amongst other things, useless.  If it wasn't then the ALF should be told and they can conduct the same experiment on a human.

If a hay stack can spontaneously combust, then I suppose it's possible for a human body to be able to combust .  I think a haystack combusts due to a build up of methane gas in the heart of the stack - hence combustion.

If a body can combust, maybe it's a combination of drink, cigarettes/matches, body fat and methane gas..?

Incidentally, talking about methane gas - how many of you men will own up to having experienced "blow back"  when you were young and foolish?? :sh :sh ;D

Swallows are the dolphins of the sky

#13    dean-g

dean-g

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 10:52 PM

last night, i had about 8 pints of beer followed by a very nasty curry, after which i felt very hot and started to sweat a lot! (sounds like a good night!) ;D
question: was i on the verge of a SCH?  :sh

look behind you!!.........BOO!

#14    GIZZIE

GIZZIE

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 11:00 PM

It depends on whether you had a match or an "igniter" doesn't it?!

iI've put you down on my list of "blow out experience" because you know EXACTLY what I was talking about :s2

Vindaloos are great - Phalls are dynamite :sh

(Toilet roll in the fridge etc?)

Swallows are the dolphins of the sky

#15    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 11:27 PM

And doesn't it also depend on a person's body fat as well?

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users