Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Dinosaurs Were Warm-Blooded!

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

Poll: Dinosaurs Were Warm-Blooded or cold blooded (36 member(s) have cast votes)

you decide

1. warm blooded (25 votes [69.44%])

Percentage of vote: 69.44%

2. cold blooded (11 votes [30.56%])

Percentage of vote: 30.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1    darkknight

darkknight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:38 PM

what do you think and why?
thank you.

#2    fallingalien

fallingalien

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

• UFOs are underneath the Solar Tide

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:01 PM

cold blooded because they were retiles and they're cold blooded.

Getting banner

#3    wcturnersr

wcturnersr

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:11 PM

Dinosaurs were not reptiles... and I do believe that they were warm-blooded.

#4    Yelekiah

Yelekiah

Calcinatio des Königs

• 10,541 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:14 PM

I voted warm-blooded because they move like mammals. (joking)

Posted Image

#5    wcturnersr

wcturnersr

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:15 PM

Here's a good link for you:

Dinosaur Heart

#6    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:53 PM

Dinosaurs were not reptiles... and I do believe that they were warm-blooded.

Way back when, sometime around 370 mya, give or take, the amniotic egg evolved, which allowed life to reproduce on land, unlike amphibians, who needed to lay eggs in water. These first amniotes had simple, box-like skulls with only openings where they were needed for eyes, nostrils, etc, and were called anapsids. (There's a raging debate about whether turtles are surviving anapsids or not, but I'll not bother with that. However, if turtles are not anapsids, the anapsids are now extinct.)

Eventually, the anapsids produced two new lineages, each of which had extra holes in their skulls, which served to lighten them and to provide additonal sites for muscle attachment. One group had a single hole, th synapsids, and they evenually became mammals. The other group, diapsids, had two holes, and these have a more interesting history.

The Diapsids split again into two groups. One, the lepidosaurs, are modern snakes and lizards. The other is called the Archosaurs, or "ruling reptiles", and for good reason. This group has evolved into some of the most successful and frightening predators ever, including the rauisuchids, ornithosuchids, popsaurids (all 3 of which would best be imagined as giant, fast-running land crocodiles, often over 20 feet long), crocodiles, phytosaurs (similar to crocs, but with a nostril near their eyes rather than at the tip of the snout), pterosaurs, dinosaurs, and birds.

So, technically, dinosaurs weren't lizards, but they *were* reptiles, close cousins of the crocodile and ancestors of the bird.

#7    RedX

RedX

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:22 PM

I voted warm blooded happy.gif  yes.gif . Because this seems like the only way they could do the things they did. Like in walking/running/moving, they look like they did all these WAY differently then reps of today do. Their bone stucture looks too different to me for them to be cold-blooded. Also, the fact that there have been Dinosaur bones fond in Antactica which is believed to have always been as cold as its is.

And plus, I believe that birds came from Dinosaurs and there not cold-blooded disgust.gif  huh.gif

#8    RedX

RedX

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:26 PM

I voted warm-blooded because they move like mammals. (joking)

...You make up some really cornny/weak/ odd and unclear jokes...
huh.gif  hmm.gif

#9    Yelekiah

Yelekiah

Calcinatio des Königs

• 10,541 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:28 PM

odd and unclear jokes...

Odd yes, because it's in response to the Dinosaurs Walk Like Mammals Thread and the debate in there. It's not my actual reason as to why they are warm-blooded. that's why it's a "joke". Meaning, don't take the statement seriously.  sleepy.gif

Posted Image

#10    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:56 PM

Also, the fact that there have been Dinosaur bones fond in Antactica which is believed to have always been as cold as its is.

Soory to burst your bubble, but Antarctica was near the Equator during the Mesozoic Era

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#11    Piney

Piney

Educated Redskin

• 2,713 posts

• Redbonz Stumpjumper from the swamps of Shamong

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:04 AM

I voted warm blooded. I go with the bird ancestory theory.

Lapi'che

Token Nanticoke
http://woodlandindia...orums/index.php
It takes a certain amount of sophistication to live primitive. Stupid people usually don't survive...............

"There aren't any Indians in New Jersey. Just some inbred ******* that live in the woods."

-Donald Trump

#12    angrycrustacean

angrycrustacean

pǝʇsıʍʇ

• 3,024 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 02:26 AM

I voted warmblooded because it makes the most sense; However, couldn't it be possible that they had a sort of hybrid thing going on? Maybe so that their blood was warmed up slightly but they still relied on some heat from the sun??

Posted Image

#13    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:05 AM

Most paleontoligists now believe dinosaurs were both cold and warm blooded.  Small raptorids were likely warm blooded, while the large dinosaurs had to be cold blooded for various physiological reason.

This mirrors the living archosaurs of today.  Crocodiles are cold blooded, and birds are warm blooded, but both are more closely related to one another than they are to the lower reptiles.

To say cold blooded reptiles could not have done the things that dinosaurs did is nonsense though.  Charlatans like Bakker would have you believe reptiles were all slow and sluggish but this is idiocy.  Some lizards are so fast they can run on water.  

In fact, after the dinosaurs went extinct, a kind of crocodile evolved into a fast running, bipedal predator that looked like a theropod dinosaur.  It thrived far longer than we humans, though was finally outcompeted by later mammalian predators.  There is nothing to suggest they became warm blooded.

#14    RedX

RedX

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:25 PM

Soory to burst your bubble, but Antarctica was near the Equator during the Mesozoic Era

Sorry if I missinformed you but I just stated the first thing that came to mind. I dont really have a ear for this kind of stuff so I dont remember were it is but I did hear of some dinosaur bones being fond in a place that has always been cold (believed to be at the least).
huh.gif  You sound like I came at you hard or something.

#15    RedX

RedX

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:47 PM

Most paleontoligists now believe dinosaurs were both cold and warm blooded.  Small raptorids were likely warm blooded, while the large dinosaurs had to be cold blooded for various physiological reason.

This mirrors the living archosaurs of today.  Crocodiles are cold blooded, and birds are warm blooded, but both are more closely related to one another than they are to the lower reptiles.

To say cold blooded reptiles could not have done the things that dinosaurs did is nonsense though.  Charlatans like Bakker would have you believe reptiles were all slow and sluggish but this is idiocy.  Some lizards are so fast they can run on water.  

In fact, after the dinosaurs went extinct, a kind of crocodile evolved into a fast running, bipedal predator that looked like a theropod dinosaur.  It thrived far longer than we humans, though was finally outcompeted by later mammalian predators.  There is nothing to suggest they became warm blooded.

How, I would think that 2 different animals with 2 very different bone stuctures would not move/perform or do things alike. Kind of like a bird trying to walk around on all 4s...It may be able to do it but it wont be good at it and that wont be its main way of moving (and please dont talk about a bird that can do that). I also know of that lizard that can run on water(the Jesuuuu...some nickname)...were did I say anything about them being sluggish or slow???(or was that directed at someone else? In which case never mind that statement)

Also, way dos ever thing turn around to Crocs in this topic? huh.gif  I dont see any resine to bring in a different animal into this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users