Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Very quick question

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    JohnnyBoyC

JohnnyBoyC

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:26 PM

Ok i know there is a mathematical formula that supposedly predict the armageddon (from Revelations maybe)

I know it was like

The number of apostles times the number of ________. or somthing like that

what was the formula? I cant find it on google.

Posted Image

#2    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:10 AM

Relax, guy.  As several threads have explained here on UM, the Aocolypse/Armageeddon related by John of Patmos was supposed to have occured in his lifetime.  That's what the Bible really says.  Didn't happen, false prophecy.

#3    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,138 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:27 AM

Relax, guy.  As several threads have explained here on UM, the Aocolypse/Armageeddon related by John of Patmos was supposed to have occured in his lifetime.  That's what the Bible really says.  Didn't happen, false prophecy.

Yep and 2012 nothing more nothing less, buy lots of booze and enjoy. Never take another mans story as your truth.
thumbsup.gif

Oh and the bible I think it's biased w00t.gif

edit:  spelling like alwats opps again

Edited by The Silver Thong, 26 October 2005 - 04:29 AM.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#4    seanph

seanph

Government Agent

• 3,490 posts

• "Time has drawn us toward the commonsensical-sounding yet elusive moral truth that people everywhere are people, just like us."--Robert Wright

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:29 PM

Revelation is being de-emphasized by both Protestants and Catholics--thankfully.

The Times

... Similarly, they refute the apocalyptic prophecies of Revelation, the last book of the Christian Bible, in which the writer describes the work of the risen Jesus, the death of the Beast and the wedding feast of Christ the Lamb.

The bishops say: “Such symbolic language must be respected for what it is, and is not to be interpreted literally. We should not expect to discover in this book details about the end of the world, about how many will be saved and about when the end will come...”

Sean

Edited by seanph, 26 October 2005 - 03:34 PM.

"Any religion whose prerequisites for individual salvation don’t conduce to the salvation of the whole world is a religion whose time has passed."--Robert Wright, The Evolution of God

#5    Irish

Irish

“The Mod Father”

• 4,932 posts

• Practice Random Acts of Kindness, they return to you!

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:40 PM

On taking the bible literally.
One must account for the educational and intellectual level of the people that the scriptures were originally written for. There is a great fear among Christian writers as to not change the intent of the word. A fear that is instilled from the scriptures themselves. Gal1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. (PS. take note those of the Mormon faith). It does present an oxymoron with the knowledge of today’s world. It would be much akin to you going back to those times and explaining the events of the war in Iraq for instance. How would you describe bombers, tanks, helicopters, machine guns and the like?Or from the other perspective how would you describe tomorrow’s technological improvements to the people of today.  if I may go out on a limb for a sec, let me explain the following scripture to today’s world.
Genesis ii, 21-22 So the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and while he slept he took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh; and the rib which the Lord God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man. Remember that I am only paraphrasing as a demonstration.
So God anesthetized Adam so as he would feel no pain. And removed some cells and genetic material from his chest. This material He then cloned the first woman from Adams own body to be his companion on earth. He gave this new creation of woman the ability to replicate the physical attributes of both her and Adam without intervention from Himself. So in concluding I would say that we are able to take scripture literally if we apply reason and knowledge as to the technical abilities of the people receiving that information.
All the Best
Irish

Most people do not want to know the truth they only want confirmation for what they think is truth.

#6    mako

mako

Poltergeist

• 2,770 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:22 PM

As someone on another thread recently said, "Read My Signature"!  As you can see the thought of the end of the world has been around for a long long time (even before the Jewish, Christian or Moslem religions have) and the world still hasn't ended!  no.gif

Our earth is degenerate in these latter days.  There are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end.  Bribery and corruption are common,   Children no longer obey their parents.  Every man wants to write a book, and the end of the world evidently is approaching.
                    Assyrian tablet circa 2800 BCE

#7    Irish

Irish

“The Mod Father”

• 4,932 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:44 PM

As someone on another thread recently said, "Read My Signature"!  As you can see the thought of the end of the world has been around for a long long time (even before the Jewish, Christian or Moslem religions have) and the world still hasn't ended!  no.gif

Now Mako there are very few records as to what the known world was like back then how do you know that it did not end and we live in a new world now? tongue.gif

Most people do not want to know the truth they only want confirmation for what they think is truth.

#8    mako

mako

Poltergeist

• 2,770 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:48 PM

Well, I will admit that there is that faint possibility, but it seems that the end of one world and the beginning of another would be noted by the denizens of both and it doesn't seem to have been.   no.gif

Our earth is degenerate in these latter days.  There are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end.  Bribery and corruption are common,   Children no longer obey their parents.  Every man wants to write a book, and the end of the world evidently is approaching.

#9    Irish

Irish

“The Mod Father”

• 4,932 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:52 PM

Well, I will admit that there is that faint possibility, but it seems that the end of one world and the beginning of another would be noted by the denizens of both and it doesn't seem to have been.   no.gif

But maybe it was a secret and kept sacred till the next shift change!
Someday we may hear a loud voice from the stars “OK everyone out of the POOL” innocent.gif

#10    mako

mako

Poltergeist

• 2,770 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:57 PM

Someday we may hear a loud voice from the stars “OK everyone out of the POOL”

w00t.gif  grin2.gif  devil.gif  thumbsup.gif  laugh.gif  rolleyes.gif  whistling2.gif  clap.gif  thumbup.gif  yes.gif

#11    JohnnyBoyC

JohnnyBoyC

Psychic Spy

• 1,367 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:16 PM

no no no i dont believe it in the least, i just wanted to know it.

Posted Image

#12    lightbeyondthedark

lightbeyondthedark

Psychic Spy

• 1,396 posts

• Honor is the reward of virtue

Posted 27 October 2005 - 01:12 PM

HaHa...
Thats not what the bible says at all... The bible says much to specify that it will happen in the future, but I really dont understand why it is thought that John thought it wopuld happen in his life. John may have thought this, but I dont think this is the picture the bible paints...
It hasn't happened yet, unfulfilled prophecy...

just my humble opinion...

LBD

Edited by lightbeyondthedark, 27 October 2005 - 01:18 PM.

“A wise man among the ignorant is as a beautiful girl in the company of blind men.”
- Saadi

#13    JohnnyBoyC

JohnnyBoyC

Psychic Spy

• 1,367 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:55 PM

i still dont think its going to happen, i just want to know the numbers.

Posted Image

#14    ShaunZero

ShaunZero

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,339 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 01:25 AM

HaHa...
Thats not what the bible says at all... The bible says much to specify that it will happen in the future, but I really dont understand why it is thought that John thought it wopuld happen in his life. John may have thought this, but I dont think this is the picture the bible paints...
It hasn't happened yet, unfulfilled prophecy...

just my humble opinion...

LBD

thumbsup.gif  thumbsup.gif

"What if there were no hypothetical questions?" ~ George Carlin
Are you a cynic?

#15    kharner92

kharner92

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 01:27 AM

w00t.gif  grin2.gif  devil.gif  thumbsup.gif  laugh.gif  rolleyes.gif  whistling2.gif  clap.gif  thumbup.gif  yes.gif

rofl that copter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users