Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Hi, tell me why should I belive?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16    ShaunZero

ShaunZero

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,339 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 09:16 PM

If you decide to beleive in Christianity, stay away from the churches and religious people who judge others and say they're going to hell.

Matthew 7:1-5 " 1"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

Told not to judge by the very book they follow.

Edited by ZeroShadow, 31 October 2005 - 09:18 PM.

"What if there were no hypothetical questions?" ~ George Carlin
Are you a cynic?

#17    saucy

saucy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

• Peter Piper picked a pack of pickled peppers.

Posted 31 October 2005 - 10:33 PM

Just because someone believes or does not believe in something does not mean it doesn't exist.  You can say you don't believe in God, but that doesn't mean He doesn't exist.  You hear all these stories about exorcisms and demonic possessions, so there should be no doubt there's an evil entity at large.  I can also show you evidence that Jesus exists, unlike what people who worship other gods can do.  So, whether or not you believe, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  The decision is ultimately yours.  All you can do is look at the evidence and make your choice.

#18    Pontius Pilate

Pontius Pilate

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 10:46 PM

can also show you evidence that Jesus exists

Then show it, you've been asked before and all you do is quote your mythology.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>I had him executed once before, and if he were actually to return, I would have him executed again!</span>

#19    saucy

saucy

Psychic Spy

• 1,530 posts

• Peter Piper picked a pack of pickled peppers.

Posted 31 October 2005 - 11:04 PM

It's all in prophecy

#20    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 31 October 2005 - 11:13 PM

Which is again... something that holds no meaning to it unless you put your own wantings into it.  If you want the prophacy to mean something... it'll look like like it.

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#21    srbulger

srbulger

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 34 posts

• Listen! Do you smell something?

Posted 01 November 2005 - 02:23 AM

Why should you believe? For that, you must weigh all options. The most common argument seen in philosophy is Pascal's Wager. Pascal was a noted mathemetician and philosopher. He had developed a system of horse betting tha guaranteed that by the end of the day he would always come out ahead.

When faced with the question of religion and God, he weighed his options carefully. He made hs decision based on the idea that, with all things considered, it was better to believe than to not believe. If one believes, and his beliefs are true, then everything is gained. If he believes, and there is no God, then he has lost nothing. If he does not believe, and he is wrong, then the risk has caused him everything. If they do not believe, and the belief is to be found wrong, then nothing is either ganed or lost.

As a Christian, this same wager was made by Paul. We see him make the claim once that, "If there is no God, then let us eat and drink for tomorrow we die." In other words, if we have nothing to believe in, then all we have to live for is the moment, becase we aren't guaranteed the anything else. However, if we live with a belief in something greater - then we can lead life with a purpose, whatever that may be.

Posted Image
"...you will be dead, so long as you refuse to die." Mr Raven - Lilith by George MacDonald

#22    srbulger

srbulger

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 34 posts

• Listen! Do you smell something?

Posted 01 November 2005 - 02:32 AM

If you decide to beleive in Christianity, stay away from the churches and religious people who judge others and say they're going to hell.

Matthew 7:1-5 " 1"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."
Told not to judge by the very book they follow.

I could not agree more, I am a Christian, though at many times I have not wanted to be. I find it hard to go to church, because most churches want to tell me how to act, think, or dress.  I personally believe and study the supernatural/paranormal quite a bit. Not necessarily accepted in most Christian circles. Zero, you bring up several great points, most notably that most Christians do not tend to fllow their own teaching or example. I don't believe it is my place to pass judgement, r argue anyone into believing anything.

I believe that the reatest move of faith anyone can do is to doubt their own beliefs and question them constantly. To look for the best possible answer. People claim to have too much blind faith. I never want to believe blindly, in fact, I think that is the most dangerous thing in Christianity. The christian church is guilty of just as many horrendous acts as any other, and most of those are because of people blindly believing the things that one or two people believe.

So, if yu choose to believe in God, you have a lot t study and to learn. o quote the X-files, the truth it out there. It is there to be found and to be learned, and the only way you will find it is by exploring.

Posted Image
"...you will be dead, so long as you refuse to die." Mr Raven - Lilith by George MacDonald

#23    777MileStare

777MileStare

~Magneto-kinetic~

• 2,022 posts

• "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."~Heraticles

Posted 01 November 2005 - 03:32 PM

Belief takes energy. So to believe in nothing, is also a very energizing process that takes energy. Which in a sense creates this paralell division of such an energy in a spiritual way between life and death that can be pallatible. ( *misspelled?* - pallatable. Workable. Flexable. Ect.).

ABSOLUTION

#24    Guardsman Bass

Guardsman Bass

Poltergeist

• 2,222 posts

• Don't spam me, but feel free to drop a line.

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:32 PM

I would suggest you maintain skepticism, and look at the claims of those who would have you believe off of 'feeling' and 'faith' with an examining eye. I am also curious as to how reading the actual account of Annabeliese Bell made you want to believe more; it seemed pretty clear from the accounts that Bell was either epileptic or schizophrenic.

And ignore the bull crap about Pascal's Wager. It is worthless for one big reason. When a believer offers it to you, they say that if you believe in God, you lose nothing. But that is strictly not true, because what if you believe in the wrong God? You may have believed, but now you're off to Hell nonetheless.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours." -Sir Charles Napier

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."   D.H. Lawrence

#25    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 02 November 2005 - 04:03 AM

Believe what you will.
The belief system that brings you the most comfort.
Examine several belief systems to see which one fits you best.

DO NOT belive the first person to tell you that their religion is the "ONLY" one.

Remember:  whatever you believe, if it brings you comfort and peace, it is right for you.  However, what is right for you, may not be right for others.

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#26    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,671 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 02 November 2005 - 04:11 AM

I want to belive in something but there has nothing that can make me belive in something i havent seen...

Have you ever seen an atom?  Do you believe they exist?  Have you ever seen the wind?  Do you believe it exists?  Have you ever seen the dark side of the Moon?  How do you know it is dark?  

All that's Gold, does not glitter.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#27    ShaunZero

ShaunZero

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,339 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 05:25 AM

Which is again... something that holds no meaning to it unless you put your own wantings into it.  If you want the prophacy to mean something... it'll look like like it.

Although that is possible, think about this:

If a prophecy really did come true, you could say the same thing about that prophecy, but it doesn't mean it didn't happen, it's just what you think they did. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a false prophecy and a real one if their ever was a real one.

Are you a cynic?

#28    ShaunZero

ShaunZero

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,339 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 05:31 AM

Have you ever seen an atom?  Do you believe they exist?  Have you ever seen the wind?  Do you believe it exists?  Have you ever seen the dark side of the Moon?  How do you know it is dark?  
All that's Gold, does not glitter.

I got one, I got one!

Did you ever see, hear, or feel another person's thoughts? So how do you know other's have thoughts?

Are you a cynic?

#29    hyperactive

hyperactive

abu gaia

• 5,691 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 05:42 AM

i will play along with this game, zero.

you have not seen 'your brain', so how do you know you have one?

"He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool - shun him.
He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple - teach him.
He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep - awaken him.
He who knows and knows that he knows, he is wise - follow him. "
Arabia

#30    ShaunZero

ShaunZero

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,339 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 05:58 AM

Because I can feel and see my thoughts when I close my eyes. Well, it's sort of like seeing, but you can feel them, hear them in a way. There's nothing you can do to test another person's thoughts. How do I know you have thougths?

How do you know I can't see my thoughts?

How do you know if another person aside from yourself has a concious?

Edited by ZeroShadow, 02 November 2005 - 05:59 AM.

Are you a cynic?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users