Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why pray?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#16    hyperactive

hyperactive

abu gaia

• 5,691 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 03:03 AM

rainbow,

if you look at the success/failure rates of 'prayers', by your model then the entire universe is broken and in need of an overhaul.

prayer may be considered like thought, or like meditation, et al.  I would not let the fanciful idea of everything being superconnected take too deep a root in your thoughts though.  While there are pathways between everything, they are not all always active.  There is not always a connection between A and B, even though the potential for it is always there (and that potential is probablistic).

People tend to go to extremes on this stuff, either imagining a perfect world of pink skys and flying unicorns or a dark desolate world of suffering and termoil.  The universe is the dynamic in the middle, folks.

"He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool - shun him.
He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple - teach him.
He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep - awaken him.
He who knows and knows that he knows, he is wise - follow him. "
Arabia

#17    PLO

PLO

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 03:05 AM

wonder what people would do if they realised any concept of god  is just a metaphor for the nature of the universe, hmmmmmmmmmm.  I mean they didnt have hubble or super coliders back in the good ole' days, nope siree.

Edited by PLO, 03 November 2005 - 03:07 AM.

www.oilempire.us  www.killinghope.org

#18    iaapac

iaapac

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

• The only difference between genius and ignorance is that genius has a limit

Posted 03 November 2005 - 03:35 AM

I think the question remains.  If a wife knew everything (as many believe they do . . . . just joking) there would be no need to remind her of your love, she would constantly know it.  And each time we try to deal with this question by using comparisons, we only minimize an all-knowing God.

#19    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,552 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 03 November 2005 - 04:48 AM

The mistake most are making here is the assumption that the point of prayer is asking God for stuff, like a Genie in a bottle.  

Prayer is simply talking to God.  We talk to God through prayer.  He talks to us through His Word (the BIble).  Thus a two-way communication is made.  Thus relationship is born.  You cannot have relationship without communication.

Thus we pray as our primary source of communication with God.

Regards, PA

Edited by Paranoid Android, 03 November 2005 - 04:51 AM.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#20    .........................

Poltergeist

• 2,152 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 05:04 AM

if you look at the success/failure rates of 'prayers'

prayer may be considered like thought, or like meditation, et al.  I would not let the fanciful idea of everything being superconnected take too deep a root in your thoughts though.  While there are pathways between everything, they are not all always active.  There is not always a connection between A and B, even though the potential for it is always there (and that potential is probablistic).

People tend to go to extremes on this stuff, either imagining a perfect world of pink skys and flying unicorns or a dark desolate world of suffering and termoil.  The universe is the dynamic in the middle, folks.

Prayer success rate: That is why I said the universe brings us what we need not what we want. Two totally different things. Most people pray for what they want.

I agree that prayer could be considered thought or meditation or wishes. But I beg to differ that everything is in fact connected through energy (some call it God).

Who goes to extremes? The universe/God just IS in my opinion.

Edited by Rainbow Rowan, 03 November 2005 - 05:06 AM.

#21    hyperactive

hyperactive

abu gaia

• 5,691 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 05:17 AM

hey rr, i knew you would reply with the 'needs' vs 'wants'!  laugh.gif  

I never said how things are connected, just that pathway potentials exist.  Perhaps our views are more similar on this than first appeared.  laugh.gif  

Sorry, you sounded like you have a 'peaches and cream' view of everything.  Indeed the universe 'is'.  It is a complex system at that too.  thumbsup.gif

"He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool - shun him.
He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple - teach him.
He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep - awaken him.
He who knows and knows that he knows, he is wise - follow him. "
Arabia

#22    .........................

Poltergeist

• 2,152 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 05:24 AM

hey rr, i knew you would reply with the 'needs' vs 'wants'!  laugh.gif  

I never said how things are connected, just that pathway potentials exist.  Perhaps our views are more similar on this than first appeared.  laugh.gif  

Sorry, you sounded like you have a 'peaches and cream' view of everything.  Indeed the universe 'is'.  It is a complex system at that too.  thumbsup.gif

Hey Hype. You are right, it is a complex system. We only have the effects not the cause most of the time like answered prayers for example. Religions were created to try to answer some of those questions. Science will take over from there I believe. Then we can finally understand how the universe works. 'God' will no longer work in mysterious ways.  yes.gif

#23    Byuu94

Byuu94

Psychic Spy

• 1,441 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 03:28 PM

Well, I believe Deity is part of everything, and vice versa. Prayer is concentrated intent. Basically, it is a religious attempt to make a wish come true.

Posted Image

"I think that people should make up their own minds for me." - Eric Idle

#24    ShaunZero

ShaunZero

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,339 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:07 PM

The want/need post that rainbow talked about was a good point in my opinion. Alot of people only pray for what they want and then complain it doesn't come true.

"What if there were no hypothetical questions?" ~ George Carlin
Are you a cynic?

#25    ghostbuster_3

ghostbuster_3

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 63 posts

• what the eyes see the mind belives and what the mind belives the eyes see

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:26 PM

i dont ever pray i do think though but he cant do any thing for you. well u know what i mean he can help you but only in your mind and heart its not like hes gona come down to help you..............shoot sorry got ahead of my self dont say think

#26    ghostbuster_3

ghostbuster_3

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 63 posts

• what the eyes see the mind belives and what the mind belives the eyes see

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:28 PM

[quote name='hyperactive' date='Nov 3 2005, 03:03 AM' post='914093']
rainbow,

if you look at the success/failure rates of 'prayers', by your model then the entire universe is broken and in need of an overhaul.

yea that is tru

#27    Bretth4

Bretth4

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:55 PM

"everything is in fact connected through energy (some call it God). "
  some losers also call it the force  grin2.gif

#28    antiaging

antiaging

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:58 PM

If God is all-knowing, then certainly he knows your needs, your failures and weaknesses, when you want to say thank you, etc.  These messages would come from the heart, not from the lips and would obviously be known to a God who knows when a sparrow falls.  So why pray?

Matthew 26:41   Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

#29    iaapac

iaapac

Psychic Spy

• 1,422 posts

• The only difference between genius and ignorance is that genius has a limit

Posted 04 November 2005 - 03:11 PM

Matthew 26:41   Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

And it also says "Ask and ye shall receive."  Now how many really believe that?

#30    101

PA's Girl

• 4,992 posts

• One half of the perenially, perpetually, purpotratedly, proudly, perfectly, placidly, pleasantly, purposely, presently promised couple to be on UM.

Posted 04 November 2005 - 03:21 PM

Well a wife who is all knowing still likes to hear I love you even if she knows it. And if a man loves her they will recive pleasure from telling her that they love her.  yes.gif

Posted Image

Just remember, you can do anything (that is physically possible) that you set your mind to.  All you have to do is believe in yourself.- Mako

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users