Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why pray?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#46    tcgram

tcgram

Government Agent

• 3,448 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:26 AM

Personally, I pray to talk to God.  In order to help any relationship grow, there needs to be communication.  I want to be closer to God and praying to Him is one way I feel more in tune with what He wants for my life.

#47    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:34 AM

Good luck ?

Posted Image

#48    LarryOldtimer

LarryOldtimer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

• In the beginning, there was nothing. God said, "Let there be light." There still was nothing, but you could see it better.

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:58 AM

Why do you tell you partner you love them when they already know. It is a good way to have a personal relationship with God. Even if he is all-knowing.

Ah, but does your partner really know?  Love isn't always "forever", you know.  In any event, many times saying, "I love you," is likely to be feedback, or to elicit feedback, showing that you are still in tune with each other.  I see no reason why any all-knowing "God" would ever need such feedback, but I sure do see where humans do.  .

#49    iaapac

iaapac

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

• The only difference between genius and ignorance is that genius has a limit

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:12 AM

An all-knowing god would know that I'm going to pray and what I am going to pray about.  Sounds like an exercise in futility to me.  And as far as communication goes, it's pretty much one-way these days.  I haven't seen any burning bushes or heard voices telling me to go up on Mt. Sinai.

#50    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 26,418 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 10 November 2005 - 04:36 AM

Personally, I pray to talk to God.  In order to help any relationship grow, there needs to be communication.  I want to be closer to God and praying to Him is one way I feel more in tune with what He wants for my life.

Well said thumbsup.gif

I said something much the same a couple of pages back and it was ignored since people want to think there's some spiritual/religious reason beyond wanting talk to God.

Hopefully, you are not ignored either.

Regards, PA

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#51    tcgram

tcgram

Government Agent

• 3,448 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:26 PM

PA, I found your post a couple of pages back...I must have missed it at first, sorry!  I agree totally with you about praying.   thumbsup.gif

#52    Guardsman Bass

Guardsman Bass

Poltergeist

• 2,222 posts

• Don't spam me, but feel free to drop a line.

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:39 PM

Although the 'asking from God' part of prayer would be pointless if an omnipotent, omniscient God existed, prayer could still have a purpose if it was used more as a kind of meditation on the presence and being as God, and not as a supplication for blessings.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours." -Sir Charles Napier

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."   D.H. Lawrence

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users