Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

New Computer Virus Clogs E-Mail Inboxes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    schadeaux

schadeaux

Ambiguitous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 09:48 PM

By RIVA RICHMOND
The Associated Press
Tuesday, August 19, 2003; 5:09 PM

NEW YORK - A new strain of one of the most virulent e-mail viruses ever spread quickly worldwide Tuesday morning, causing fresh annoyance to users worn out by last week's outbreak of the Blaster worm.

The new virus, named "Sobig.F" by computer security companies, attacks Windows users via e-mail and file-sharing networks. It also deposits a Trojan horse, or hacker back door, that can be used to turn victims' PCs into senders of spam e-mail.

MessageLabs Inc., a company that filters e-mail for corporations, had blocked more than 100,000 copies of Sobig.F by midday Tuesday, making it by far the most active virus of the day.

user posted image View: Full Article | Source: Washington Post

"To study and not think is a waste.
To think and not study is dangerous."
Confucius

#2    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,628 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 20 August 2003 - 08:53 AM

Thanks Schadeaux,

I received over 25 infected e-mails this morning with this virus in them, I'd recommend everyone to make sure you keep your anti-virus software's virus definition up to date, and scan both your computer and incoming mail for signs of this new virus.

A large number of PC's are infected with this thing, so it's always a good idea to make sure that yours isn't one of them.

Note that this virus comes in the form of a .pif file attachment, in E-Mail messages with any of the following titles :

Re: That movie
Re: Wicked screensaver
Re: Your application
Re: Approved
Re: Re: My details
Re: Details
Your details
Thank you!

If you receive one of these with a file attachment, delete it immediately, and do not execute the attachment whatever you do.

#3    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,628 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 20 August 2003 - 08:59 PM

Just an update on this, the title of this thread is quite accurate, every time I check my E-Mail today I receive 10-15 more of these dam things.

This is becoming a severe problem.

sad.gif  

#4    schadeaux

schadeaux

Ambiguitous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 09:02 PM

Very severe.  Our exchange server at work has been pretty much shut down since yesterday morning.  Word is we MAY get it back by sometime Friday.  Hope they mean this week. sad.gif

"To study and not think is a waste.
To think and not study is dangerous."
Confucius

#5    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,628 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 08:43 AM

It's been a good few days now since all this started, and I seem to be getting more of these e-mails now than I did before. This morning 85 of them were waiting for me in my inbox.

I hope this continuous 'bombardment' dies down soon.

dontgetit.gif  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users