Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

John Palifox Key "Proofs of my Return"

science101

A couple of months back, I read an interesting story about a gentleman named John Palifox who traveled back & forth from other dimensions. In his book titled "Proofs of My Return", he gave a detailed description of intersecting leylines throughout the United States used to get to parallel univereses, alternate realities, or planes. One of the most notorious dimensional plane exist in Montmorency County, Michigan.

In his book, he discussed dozens of latitude & longitudes throughout the U.S. that permit time travel. However, his book is extremely hard to find. I have checked several antiquarian libraries but I have not found John Palifox's Manuscript. Has anyone heard of his written account? Does anyone on this site own his manuscript?

Edited by science101

Welsh,

I have scoured the Internet, and the book (manuscript) is practically impossible to find. Many years ago, you could go to the library & get a copy of his book (manuscript). The book appears to be pulled from the shelves of every library in the U.S. It is as though the book has fell off the face of the earth!

From what I read on other Internet sites, only a handful of John Palifox's manuscript exist, but those that possess them are not willing to disclose, share its contents.

Interesting to say the least!

It is, I personally have never heard of him. But if I come across anthing at all I will Let you know, You never know here in Britian it might be easier to find info?

Must've scoured the internet real hard. The top google result on a search for "proofs of my return" comes up with this page

http://ranprieur.com/misc/palifox.html

Which details good evidence of a hoax.

Though I must admit as a collector of rare books I got excited for a second. I would've stuck in on my shelve between my copy of A Joyful Guide to Lachrymology by Ronald P. Vincent and my skin bound edition of the Necromonicron.

Edited by vertigoflow

A couple of months back, I read an interesting story about a gentleman named John Palifox who traveled back & forth from other dimensions. In his book titled "Proofs of My Return", he gave a detailed description of intersecting leylines throughout the United States used to get to parallel univereses, alternate realities, or planes. One of the most notorious dimensional plane exist in Montmorency County, Michigan.

In his book, he discussed dozens of latitude & longitudes throughout the U.S. than permit time travel. However, his book is extremely hard to find. I have checked several antiquarian libraries but I have not found John Palifox's Manuscript. Has anyone heard of his written account? Does anyone on this site own his manuscript?

Hi Science:

Here is another link that state a little about his:

http://portalwisdom.blogspot.com/2003_06_0...om_archive.html

I don't know whether the book is a hoax but I would be very interested in reading the book if I could.

Nelly from the Block

Welsh:

Anything you can find would be helpful. Some books are just hard to find, especially if you don't know where to look! :no:

vertigoflow:

The post you highlighted is nothing new. It does not say anything about the findings in the book being a hoax. It sounds like those who say they possess the book are the real con artist.

Also, I didn't say that links are hard to find about the book's excerpts. I am solely talking about ascertaining the book and its contents. Would I ever try to prove if the "portals" truly existed? I think not!

However, the book to me sounds like a novelty. A novelty that I wouldn't mind having my hands on!

Welsh:

Anything you can find would be helpful. Some books are just hard to find, especially if you don't know where to look! :no:

vertigoflow:

The post you highlighted is nothing new. It does not say anything about the findings in the book being a hoax. It sounds like those who say they possess the book are the real con artist.

Also, I didn't say that links are hard to find about the book's excerpts. I am solely talking about ascertaining the book and its contents. Would I ever try to prove if the "portals" truly existed? I think not!

However, the book to me sounds like a novelty. A novelty that I wouldn't mind having my hands on!

Some books are hard to find, but I do know where to look. I really do collect rare books (the one thing I wasn't being sarcastic about). I can track down most books, typically at prices that make actually getting my hands on them prohibative but at least verifying their existance.

Everything about this screams hoax to me. But, perhaps I havne't invested as much time investigating it as you have. With that said, if I ever do come across a copy of it in my journies i sure as hell am snatching it up quick.

Granted, this is something I'm going to look in to more; regardless of whether I think the book is real or not.

This website says the book was self-published. That complicates things and could make most of what I said in my previous post incorrect.

http://pub3.bravenet.com/forum/203343655/fetch/66505/

The more I look into this the more interested I get. I'm going to put up a website about it soon where I can keep track of links and discuss related topics. I'll post a link when somethings up.

I don't think that I understand what you're saying here. This guy went to another dimention and came back. If you read the book, what's some of the plot?

O.K. Going on what I've found so far, I'm going to give you eight words...

Hoax the Hippie Out of Thier Pot Money.

'Nuff said.

O.K. Going on what I've found so far, I'm going to give you eight words...

Hoax the Hippie Out of Thier Pot Money.

'Nuff said.

lol.

I think the real question is: "Does the book exist?"

If it was selfpublished in the 60's and distributed to college bookstores, than I'm sure more than a few hippies laid down their pot money for a copy.

I wouldn't be suprised if all remaining copies vanished because they got soaked with bong water or had the pages torn out to roll spliffs.

Lord Umbarger:

This was posted by From Tubby McApple (AlexanderP31) on another site: Parts are ommitted.

The basic spiel is this:

John Palifox Key allegedly wrote a book called "Proofs of My Return" that described portals through which you could find a land full of denizens not unlike the magical creatures of fairie tales (gnomes, fairies, lizard-like people, etc.). What's more, JPK claimed to have travelled into this alternate reality, experiencing things first hand. So far, nothing much out of the ordinary for paranormal writers and their books. But here's the hook:

JPK apparently mapped out the location of the portals in his book, so that anyone could find them. These places include: Montmorency County (major continuous portal was always open on County Road 622 (called Clear Lake Rd.) about 5 miles beyond the Canada Creek Dam heading roughly west toward Vanderbilt, Michigan) and the Constitution area of Dekalb County, Georgia--both areas where he identified major portals; Constance, KY among other locations throughout the U.S.

As the story goes, this book became popular amongst college folk in the '60's-- they would go on field trips to find these portals (like it was some sort of buried treasure). Young Joey Leguay was exposed to this book while he was still in High School (I think) by his older brother Eric Leguay (who is now a CEO at some Fortune 500 company... don't ask which). Eric Leguay went on one of these portal hunts with some friends, but left Joey behind. When Eric returned, he said the whole thing was a bunch of bunk, discouraging young Joey from exploring on his own. Joey would remain skeptical about portals until just this last year.

Fast Forward to late 2001. An Atlanta grad student by the name of John Grantly in his quest for information related to John Palifox Key and his book runs into a lady going by the name Apacheunger who claims to have had a similar experience as described by JPK in his book. Apacheunger professes that she drove out of this world for 20 minutes. Below is her story:

I was driving (for my job selling photo-cells) in a rather deserted part of a northern state, which I'd rather not mention yet, when I started seeing lizard-like things about 2 to 3 feet high standing upright near the sides of the gravel road I was on. They looked very "intelligent" not like lizards or wild beasts or anything. I thought about aliens, etc., but these looked earthbound, as I said like lizards with brains and a sense of purpose. Also they seemed to follow me with their heads and eyes. I was in a nothern state where it really snows and is cold, and I know there are no lizards there. I was also there on business. These lizard-like things were really ugly, so I started to drive faster...and I swear the road turned into a light brown packed earth drive, and the trees and such were all different like nothing I've ever seen anywhere. There were funny colored plants with curly leaves that really didn't look like leaves and vines that smelled funny (I had the window down). The whole scene was unreal and the worst...I swear...was that small, squat human-like people were around the sides of this earthn trail working and not paying much attention to me. They were gathering big triangular fruits and hitting them with sticks. Crazy as this seems they looked like dwarfes or lepratchauwns or little people like fairies, etc. They were very hunched over and seemed more wider than tall like they grew from side to side instead of up. Some did look at me as I passed in my car and shook their heads as if to say I had made a mistake. I actually wet my pants I was so scared...but I drove out just like I drove in suddenly and then everything was normal.

Furthermore, she goes on to give direct coordinates: a county gravel road which is a short cut between the town of Hillman and Michigan Highway 33 running north of Atlanta, MI. main doorway is on county road 622 past Canada Creek Dam +/- 5 miles.

I know the story sounds like a hoax, but believe me quite a few people have experienced this. Until the advent of the internet, many of these recorded accounts went undocumented. The proof is so real, or surreal, that according to a gentleman named Tim Mistrial (internet name), it appears that about 8 years ago there was a movement to destroy every last copy of JPK's manuscript. Some think it's very dangerous. Needless to say, the book is extremely hard to find.

Anyway, there are some other books of interest or authors that have well documented experiences traveling to pararell universes including Serge Hutin & Georges Rabiton's 1927 book. Name at this time eludes me?

Edited by science101

There are many more stories similiar to Apacheunger's experience. Another harrowing experience happened off hwy 56 in Utah, where two girls were chased by humanlike lizards in an odd shaped vehicle - that's until they crossed back over to our dimension. Sounds strange, I know!

Edited by science101

How much of that info came from this site:

http://aspyre.net/pauladenail/

I believe this is a work of fiction based on the Palifox legend, any new information from this site is suspect.

This site is also related to that one:

http://portalwisdom.blogspot.com/

Especially since they talk about going to the "Aspyre blog". the quiz on this site makes it seem like they are trying to make some kind of "alternate reality game" based on the legend.

For more info on Alternate Reality Games, look here and use google:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_Reality_Game

Basically, this one is nothing more than a reading compresension test to get people to read the "Search for Joey" story. Most of the questions come from there.

vertigoflow:

To answer your question - none of the information I have at my disposal came from those referenced sites. If anything, the links you provided appear to trivialize the real story about John Palifox & his manuscript. I do have a little info on John Polifax based on my research. This information was shared by ferabo (user name) on another site:

Quick summary: Key locates portals into a place where plants and people are different which he calls "secondary alternate realm." In this place are small, squat creatures Key calls "historical gnomes" and "classical elves." They work all the time and don't give a damn about us. To Key they seem aloof and even stupid. The realm is signaled by the appearance of "intelligent reptiles." It can be entered just by driving into. Key, a graduate student from a wealthy family, spends a ton of money putting personal notices in papers all over the US and Europe. He receives dozens of replies. But, like, he's already been to this spooky lake in his own home in metropolitan Atlanta, Georgia. He has even taken groups from his university there. They have at times entered the portal and seen the "elves." Key finds someone who knows of an "always open" portal in Montmorency County, Michigan. Key goes there and enters the realm and even disappears for a while and has trouble finding his way out. Key gives precise locations of this portal and two others. Key's number of followers grows as his self-published, leatherbound manuscript becomes a college cult item in the late 1950s. Key runs into trouble in Montmorency County, which he describes a remote and backward, and is put in jail for one night. Key is expelled from his university in Georgia and several residents of the community around the lake take out trespassing warrants against him. Key is discovered by 2 major French paranormal writers who make him important in French publications where this sort of thing has been discussed for some time. Key and group visit other portals and attachments are made to his first self-published manuscript which he brings out in an illustrated edition complete with Latin sayings on each page. Key gets in other vague trouble and finally leaves Georgia to be with his friends in France. He leaves his "good-bye" note in his final edition, some weeks before he leaves. He is never seen or heard from again---at least not in the broad sense. For all I know, he could be an advisor to GW Bush.

Key milked his brief fame for all it was worth.

The manuscript contains all of the responses to Key's intial inquiries that he felt were important. These too contain locations of doorways into the realm. Key says if the letters were vague, he didn't put them in. He only liked specific stuff. The manuscript is a collection of letters, maps, personal anecdotes and experiences. Key never makes an assumptions about his adventures.

Key was a doctoral student in anthropology. He was interested in the repeated and continued folklore of the "little people" which comes from all around the world from all time.

It is clear also that Key did not respect or like his elves. He called them things like stupid, dull, mechanical, etc all through the manuscript. They are anything but cute little magic creatures.

The manuscript has disappeared from all the bookstores in the past 20-25 years.

From what I know, limited copies of his book can still be purchased, however, it comes with a stiff pricetag. According to one person that runs a business specializing in rare documents, "many people are willing to pay quite handsomely for Key's manuscript." In fact, just recently, JPK's manuscript sold for $10,000 at an auction in Winnipeg, Canada.

There is supposedly a copy in the sequestered manuscripts room at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia. I hope this information helps.

Edited by science101

Another interesting account came from Eric Lagauy who entered/exited through one of these portals in Deleware:

Story from Eric Laguay:

NO COMMENT. I AM TYPING THIS EXACTLY AS IT'S RELATED TO ME:

"My name is Eric Leguay and I am a native of Angola, Delaware. I am 54 years old and the older brother of Joey, whom you know as Ferabo and who has persuaded me to write this for the forum. I wish no further contact with this group after I say this. Further, I wish to warn this group that what I have to say took place 36 years ago and that my memories have no doubt been altered by time, age, and my emotional states over these past years. Unlike my brother who is a solid atheist, I have returned to the Catholic Church of my ancestors and I believe in God and God's miracles to man. I am a grandfather and an executive in a rather well-known American corporation. I have absolutely nothing to gain from relating my experiences, and have always been reluctant to do so for fear of derision and out of concern for the misguided who may, as I once was, be led astray by reckless, unaccountable actions. I have read every word written on this forum and have found many to be accurate, well-balanced and even wise. Others are simply braggards or clowns. To these I say, put me on your ignore. I have nothing to say to you, nor you to me. I do not share my email, therefore, with anyone for purpose of further discussion.

"On the 23rd of April, 1966, I along with 5 friends from the TKG engineering fraternity at the Univertsity of Delaware in Newark, Delaware entered a remote and desolate area of Delaware's east shore located approximately 5 miles from the town of Oak Orchard on Indian River Bay (on Atlantic Ocean). This area had no paved roads and only trails led to a destination point in a swampy, uninhabited area maintained for natural gas development and shoreline game protection by both the DuPont Corporation and the State of Delaware jointly. The area had been delineated in a two or three page letter to John Palifox Key upon written request of the latter and included in a large compendium called Proofs of My Return, which circulated freely during the early 60s on college campuses and which became the object of much speculation, especially in the areas of anthropology and folklore. Key described entry points into another, perhaps parallel, universe alongside our own which was inhabited by short, elf-like humanoids and lizard-like creatures.

The vegetation in this "realm" (as Key called it) was totally different from our own, and time was somehow altered as well. Key's friends and associates informed him of approximately 7 of these "doorways" existing in North America. The one I was now exploring was close to me in Delaware, and we organized a party of "adventurers". In doing so, we risked our lives I am sure. Although we encountered no danger, we were disoriented and lost for approximately 1hour, and there was some question among us, which led to panic on occasion, as to whether we could exit safely.

We approached a swampy, sub-coastal area, and I remember clearly that there were still commercial airplanes flying coastal routes overhead. These became suddenly silent and we seemed to simply glide into a much warmer place where the leaves of plants were not symmetrically shaped and were much more triangular than in coastal Delaware. Further, the vegetation came now in distinct colors of red, purple and bright orange. The foot trail we were following became a packed dirt path grey in color, and we all saw brownish lizard-like things standing upright at a distance of approximately 10 feet from the paths. These had oversized eyes and watched us carefully. A girl named Tina panicked. A guy named Glen attempted to run. We called them back to the group and proceeded toward what we thought was the bay. Progressing through this heat (it was too hot for April) and unlikely vegetation, we entered a sort of clearing where little creatures, dressed in some sort of brownish fabric, were digging cylindrical holes with slim, curved shovels. We could not ascertain the purpose of these holes, but we noted one and all that our arrival did not in any way surprise or stop them in their work. We were hardly noticed, if not for the occasional angry glance.

In discussion later, we agreed that these "men", call them elves, if you will, were not alien-like in nature. Instead, they resembled the sort of wide-at-the-hip, squat gnomes you might see in a child's story book. This part was always hard to relate to others, especially on the campus of the University of Delaware when we returned. No wanted then, nor wishes now, to believe we saw "storybook elves." But we can't change our story to please the I saw an alien crowd. We proceeded deeper into this vegetation past others performing like jobs and grew very concerned about leaving this strange place. When we did exit, it was into a scrub pine grove about 15 miles from our point of entry. We clearly saw where we were by the configuration of the coast of Delaware. We had NOT walked 15 miles. No one can walk 15 miles in less than an hour. We hitchiked along Del 5 to get back to our cars.

In the past 36 years, some of us have met several times to compare memories, etc. We have, until now, decided not to talk. My brother Joey, Apacheunger, Timmistral, Old Soul and Heidi are the persons on your forum who have caused me to break silence. As I said, I read th whole thing before agreeing to tell Joey about this for posting.

I advise against further exploration. If you must, and people often must, go in large groups. And don't attach mystic or religious significance to what you find.

It just IS. That's all! Don't take pseudo-"writers" with you. Learn who you are going with, and trust them. No phonies.

I hope this short account has been of interest to you.

Has anybody even checked to see if this guy even went to Emory.

Good idea, how would someone go about it?

That's a lot of info to digest science101. You've obviously spent a lot more time looking into this than me.

vertigoflow:

According to the information I read, he attended Georgia Tech as well as Emory Univerisity. However, I believe he graduated from Emory. I could be wrong?

What is so mysterious about JPK, he has not been seen or heard from since the late 70's early 80's. Many speculated that he may be have entered one of these portals and cannot find his way back to our civilization.

One interesting note: It is said that alot of strange paranormal activity exist in the area of these portals. They have also accounted for the disappearance of quite a few people who were never seen or heard from again. :blink:

vertigoflow:

According to the information I read, he attended Georgia Tech as well as Emory Univerisity. However, I believe he graduated from Emory. I could be wrong?

What is so mysterious about JPK, he has not been seen or heard from since the late 70's early 80's. Many speculated that he may be have entered one of these portals and cannot find his way back to our civilization.

One interesting note: It is said that alot of strange paranormal activity exist in the area of these portals. They have also accounted for the disappearance of quite a few people who were never seen or heard from again. :blink:

these portals are suppose to exist at the intersection of two laylines, right?

find any good layline maps in your research?

... little creatures, dressed in some sort of brownish fabric, were digging cylindrical holes with slim, curved shovels. We could not ascertain the purpose of these holes, but we noted one and all that our arrival did not in any way surprise or stop them in their work. We were hardly noticed, if not for the occasional angry glance.

This reminded me of something, so I dug in my book collection and came up with this tidbit.

In John Keels "Our Haunted Planet" he describes a theory that fairytale stories of elves and such were based on encounters with a species that has coexisted on our planet, mostly unseen, since before humanity.

He talks about a study done by Sir Walter Scott in 1830 concering: "...when trained psychics encountered fairies and visited their splendid palaces "the illusion vanished." He explained:

The young knights and beautiful ladies showed themselves as wrinkled carles and odious hags... The stately halls were turned into miserable damp caverns - all the deights of the Elfin Elysium vanished at once. In a word, their pleasures were showy but totally unsubstantial - their activity unceasing, but fruitless and unavailing - and their condemnation appears to have consisted in the necessity of maintaining the appearance of industry or enjoyment, though their toil was fruitless and their pleasures shadowy and unsubstantial. Hence poets have designed them as 'the crew that never rest'. Besides the unceasing and useless bustle in which these spirits seemed to live, they had propensities unfavourable and distressing to mortals.

Vertiglow:

these portals are suppose to exist at the intersection of two laylines, right?

Excellent question?! According to JPK these portals have been known to shift & not stay at the same ley lines as he drafted in his manuscript. Also, they have been known to increase and decrease in intensity. The portal in Montmorency County, MI is a constant portal. However, it has been shifting over the years based on reports stated by some locals who are very familiar with portal. Apparently, there is a sundial in Huron Forest. It is also a place where lots of mysterious events occur. Lately, no one has been able to locate the portal in Michigan, in spite that several groups have went to that area to find its existence.

find any good layline maps in your research?

No sir!

Good idea, how would someone go about it?

School yearbooks or just a phone call might yield a answer although you'd think someone may have already done that