Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why Is Jesus And Christianity So Hated?

• Please log in to reply
554 replies to this topic

#1    Jesusfan

Jesusfan

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 03:49 PM

Just wondering why so many peoples have taken it upon themselves to totally disregard the person of Jesus Of Nazareth, and His Church...

It seems that we are employing a huge double standard here, as many tend to either not believe historical accounts of His life, both Biblical and other, yet willingly to accept as "facts" virtually everyting recorded by other religious followers... Mohhammed/Buddah/etc life stories are all taken at face value, even though the earliest actual writtings are far removed from them, yet both jesus and the Bible are looked down upon, as if the assurred "critical" modern scholarship has "proven" that none of the claims made by/about jesus/Bible/Church are to be Even considered valid at all...

Just wish that ALL of the religions on earth would be placed through the same prism as jesus and his earliest followers seem to be... Guess that you would end up with either NO religion or its founder as being accurate and acceptable, or else if weighed objectively based upon the ACTUAL historical data/Biblical documentation etc, that Jesus has the BEST claims to being accurate to what his follwers claimed for Him to actually be...

#2    seanph

seanph

Government Agent

• 3,490 posts

• "Time has drawn us toward the commonsensical-sounding yet elusive moral truth that people everywhere are people, just like us."--Robert Wright

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:25 PM

It seems that we are employing a huge double standard here, as many tend to either not believe historical accounts of His life, both Biblical and other, yet willingly to accept as "facts" virtually everyting recorded by other religious followers... Mohhammed/Buddah/etc life stories are all taken at face value,

They are?  By who?  And Christianity is the largest organized religion in the world!  Sounds like a lot of people accept the accounts of Jesus' life as facts.

Once again a Christian living in a delusional world of persecution ... when there's a freakin' church on every bloody corner!

yet both jesus and the Bible are looked down upon, as if the assurred "critical" modern scholarship has "proven" that none of the claims made by/about jesus/Bible/Church are to be Even considered valid at all...

Blatantly false!  Give me a break!  

Just wish that ALL of the religions on earth would be placed through the same prism as jesus and his earliest followers seem to be... Guess that you would end up with either NO religion or its founder as being accurate and acceptable,

Wish I could live to see the day.

...or else if weighed objectively based upon the ACTUAL historical data/Biblical documentation etc, that Jesus has the BEST claims to being accurate to what his follwers claimed for Him to actually be...

Yes, we have seen your objectivety and definition of how "proper" scholarship should be conducted.  If it conforms to my religious beliefs, then it's proper scholarship.  If not ...

Sean

"Any religion whose prerequisites for individual salvation donít conduce to the salvation of the whole world is a religion whose time has passed."--Robert Wright, The Evolution of God

#3    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,903 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:29 PM

Do you believe in Zeus?

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#4    Welsh Shaun

Welsh Shaun

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts

• If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts.

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:36 PM

historical data/Biblical documentation

Not totaly the same thing, only some of it is historical, the rest cannot be supported. If it cannot be supported you cannot say it is truth.

Posted Image

#5    zandore

zandore

EX-Christian

• 9,640 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:20 PM

Do you believe in Zeus?

Yes Jesusfan this is a valid question. Do you as a Christian....believe and respect other religions?

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy,
education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary.
Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear
of punishment and hope of reward after death."

Albert Einstein

Survey Says....

#6    Azalin

Azalin

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

• " If there were no God, there would be no atheists "

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:24 PM

Do you believe in Zeus?

There is no historical evidence for Zues Stellar. Unless you believe him, Artemis, Hera and Ares all actually fought alongside humans in the trojan war for the fun of it. Also believing that Zues turns himself into a cow and rapes people whenever he wanted. Also believing he lived ON earth on Mount Olympus, and since we all know that is not possible, no one believes in it.

However, I see the point that you are claiming, why believe in God, and not another one ? The bible  is not a tool for historical references, it's a spirtual guide about the faith for Christianity , Islamic, and Judaism. The intruiging factor, is that the bible does tie in historical references. Things such as King Hezekiah, King David, King Solomon, the Babylonian wars, including the take over by the Roman army, and this is just a small bit.

This is why the the catholic faith has as many believers as it does. Most religions can be proven to be false, such as Greek Mythology. Or at least they have no historical references, but the bible does. Like stated in one of the previous posts, there is a great number of followers in the Christian faith, roughly 2 Billion, so I don't believe a lot of people hit the catholic church. The sad thing being, are the followers don't really know anything about the faith, and a lot of the times, a lot of the skeptics are old followers, that researched the religion to the bare bones, and came to their own conclusions on things that just don't make sense. A lot of people I meet today believe and love Jesus and God, but do not follow the demands of the church, who sometimes appear to be quite corrupted.

Edited by Azalin, 17 November 2005 - 05:26 PM.

Posted Image
"The worst moment for the athieist is when he feels thankful and has no one to thank."
"Fiat  Lux"

#7    101

PA's Girl

• 4,992 posts

• One half of the perenially, perpetually, purpotratedly, proudly, perfectly, placidly, pleasantly, purposely, presently promised couple to be on UM.

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:27 PM

I will answer the whole Zeus question. Isn't he just a greek god and just a myth? I mean stories of him and the other greek gods and goddesses are just stories to entertain. The same could be said for the Christian God. But the stories are usually said to be myth about the greek gods correct. Is there proof of their existance or of any god in that manner. I feel that what we can say is that the prophets of religions can be proven but not the God or gods so to speak.

Posted Image

Just remember, you can do anything (that is physically possible) that you set your mind to.  All you have to do is believe in yourself.- Mako

#8    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,877 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 17 November 2005 - 06:01 PM

As I've said before... if one god is true... then they all are.  

Why? Because as long as someone has belief in that god or goddess, they will exist.  

The abrahamic god is real in (for example) 101's heart and mind as much as Bast, the Goddess and her Consort and Dionysus are to my heart and mind.

Edited by SilverCougar, 17 November 2005 - 06:06 PM.

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#9    101

PA's Girl

• 4,992 posts

• One half of the perenially, perpetually, purpotratedly, proudly, perfectly, placidly, pleasantly, purposely, presently promised couple to be on UM.

Posted 17 November 2005 - 06:04 PM

SC I have minds? I was wondering why I had such a big head. He he.

Who is Bast? Is this a man or another woman deity?

Posted Image

Just remember, you can do anything (that is physically possible) that you set your mind to.  All you have to do is believe in yourself.- Mako

#10    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,877 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 06:14 PM

SC I have minds? I was wondering why I had such a big head. He he.

Who is Bast? Is this a man or another woman deity?

4 hours of sleep over the past few days... my typing suffers more then usual.

Bast... or Bastet...  is an Egyption goddess.  Feline headed, and goddess of protection, festivals and such.  She even had a huge cult following, a festival, and her own city called Bubastis where her festival was held.

http://www.crystalinks.com/bast.html  (some good information)

Out of all the feline deities... she is the one I've had the most connection to.

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and

#11    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 17 November 2005 - 06:23 PM

personally, I've always been drawn to Anubis.

But that could just be my dark nature.

In fact, I have a 3 foot tall statue of the god in my rec room.  Appropriate, I thought, since the room is partially underground..........

Edited by JMPD1, 17 November 2005 - 06:29 PM.

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#12    101

PA's Girl

• 4,992 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 06:23 PM

I always thought that the Egyptians had beautiful art. They show women at their tru beauty. That is great info. Are cats really powerful and have energy? Because people often are afraid of cats and the old superstititions about them. I have always owned cats my whole life. I own two at the moment. I want more. I will pm you about the whole cat thing. I just have a few questions.  yes.gif

Posted Image

#13    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,877 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 06:31 PM

Some believe that cats have power. Mysteries and such.  And yes the Egyptians respected and worshipped the feline highly.  Killing a cat was punishable by death.  If you think about why back then... the felines kept the pest and rodent population down. They kept the rats and mice out of the food stores.  Also kept the sicknesses that could be caught from the fleas on the pests down.  

*sighs* The whole cats are evil is just another thing the church had a hand in during the dark ages when all the witch burning took place. And well, they had a huge problem with rodents...

#14    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 17 November 2005 - 06:33 PM

Two thousand years ago, the Egyptians worshipped cats as gods.

The cats have never forgotten this..........

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#15    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,877 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 06:53 PM

Two thousand years ago, the Egyptians worshipped cats as gods.

The cats have never forgotten this..........

Neither have cat owners XD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users