Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Is Jesus And Christianity So Hated?

Jesusfan

Just wondering why so many peoples have taken it upon themselves to totally disregard the person of Jesus Of Nazareth, and His Church...

It seems that we are employing a huge double standard here, as many tend to either not believe historical accounts of His life, both Biblical and other, yet willingly to accept as "facts" virtually everyting recorded by other religious followers... Mohhammed/Buddah/etc life stories are all taken at face value, even though the earliest actual writtings are far removed from them, yet both jesus and the Bible are looked down upon, as if the assurred "critical" modern scholarship has "proven" that none of the claims made by/about jesus/Bible/Church are to be Even considered valid at all...

Just wish that ALL of the religions on earth would be placed through the same prism as jesus and his earliest followers seem to be... Guess that you would end up with either NO religion or its founder as being accurate and acceptable, or else if weighed objectively based upon the ACTUAL historical data/Biblical documentation etc, that Jesus has the BEST claims to being accurate to what his follwers claimed for Him to actually be...

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 777MileStare

• seanph

• SilverCougar

• mako

It seems that we are employing a huge double standard here, as many tend to either not believe historical accounts of His life, both Biblical and other, yet willingly to accept as "facts" virtually everyting recorded by other religious followers... Mohhammed/Buddah/etc life stories are all taken at face value,

They are? By who? And Christianity is the largest organized religion in the world! Sounds like a lot of people accept the accounts of Jesus' life as facts.

Once again a Christian living in a delusional world of persecution ... when there's a freakin' church on every bloody corner!

yet both jesus and the Bible are looked down upon, as if the assurred "critical" modern scholarship has "proven" that none of the claims made by/about jesus/Bible/Church are to be Even considered valid at all...

Blatantly false! Give me a break!

Just wish that ALL of the religions on earth would be placed through the same prism as jesus and his earliest followers seem to be... Guess that you would end up with either NO religion or its founder as being accurate and acceptable,

Wish I could live to see the day.

...or else if weighed objectively based upon the ACTUAL historical data/Biblical documentation etc, that Jesus has the BEST claims to being accurate to what his follwers claimed for Him to actually be...

Yes, we have seen your objectivety and definition of how "proper" scholarship should be conducted. If it conforms to my religious beliefs, then it's proper scholarship. If not ...

Sean

Do you believe in Zeus?

historical data/Biblical documentation

Not totaly the same thing, only some of it is historical, the rest cannot be supported. If it cannot be supported you cannot say it is truth.

Do you believe in Zeus?

Yes Jesusfan this is a valid question. Do you as a Christian....believe and respect other religions?

Do you believe in Zeus?

There is no historical evidence for Zues Stellar. Unless you believe him, Artemis, Hera and Ares all actually fought alongside humans in the trojan war for the fun of it. Also believing that Zues turns himself into a cow and rapes people whenever he wanted. Also believing he lived ON earth on Mount Olympus, and since we all know that is not possible, no one believes in it.

However, I see the point that you are claiming, why believe in God, and not another one ? The bible is not a tool for historical references, it's a spirtual guide about the faith for Christianity , Islamic, and Judaism. The intruiging factor, is that the bible does tie in historical references. Things such as King Hezekiah, King David, King Solomon, the Babylonian wars, including the take over by the Roman army, and this is just a small bit.

This is why the the catholic faith has as many believers as it does. Most religions can be proven to be false, such as Greek Mythology. Or at least they have no historical references, but the bible does. Like stated in one of the previous posts, there is a great number of followers in the Christian faith, roughly 2 Billion, so I don't believe a lot of people hit the catholic church. The sad thing being, are the followers don't really know anything about the faith, and a lot of the times, a lot of the skeptics are old followers, that researched the religion to the bare bones, and came to their own conclusions on things that just don't make sense. A lot of people I meet today believe and love Jesus and God, but do not follow the demands of the church, who sometimes appear to be quite corrupted.

Edited by Azalin

I will answer the whole Zeus question. Isn't he just a greek god and just a myth? I mean stories of him and the other greek gods and goddesses are just stories to entertain. The same could be said for the Christian God. But the stories are usually said to be myth about the greek gods correct. Is there proof of their existance or of any god in that manner. I feel that what we can say is that the prophets of religions can be proven but not the God or gods so to speak.

As I've said before... if one god is true... then they all are.

Why? Because as long as someone has belief in that god or goddess, they will exist.

The abrahamic god is real in (for example) 101's heart and mind as much as Bast, the Goddess and her Consort and Dionysus are to my heart and mind.

Edited by SilverCougar

SC I have minds? I was wondering why I had such a big head. He he.

Who is Bast? Is this a man or another woman deity?

SC I have minds? I was wondering why I had such a big head. He he.

Who is Bast? Is this a man or another woman deity?

4 hours of sleep over the past few days... my typing suffers more then usual.

Bast... or Bastet... is an Egyption goddess. Feline headed, and goddess of protection, festivals and such. She even had a huge cult following, a festival, and her own city called Bubastis where her festival was held.

http://www.crystalinks.com/bast.html (some good information)

Out of all the feline deities... she is the one I've had the most connection to.

personally, I've always been drawn to Anubis.

But that could just be my dark nature.

In fact, I have a 3 foot tall statue of the god in my rec room. Appropriate, I thought, since the room is partially underground..........

Edited by JMPD1

I always thought that the Egyptians had beautiful art. They show women at their tru beauty. That is great info. Are cats really powerful and have energy? Because people often are afraid of cats and the old superstititions about them. I have always owned cats my whole life. I own two at the moment. I want more. I will pm you about the whole cat thing. I just have a few questions. :yes:

Some believe that cats have power. Mysteries and such. And yes the Egyptians respected and worshipped the feline highly. Killing a cat was punishable by death. If you think about why back then... the felines kept the pest and rodent population down. They kept the rats and mice out of the food stores. Also kept the sicknesses that could be caught from the fleas on the pests down.

*sighs* The whole cats are evil is just another thing the church had a hand in during the dark ages when all the witch burning took place. And well, they had a huge problem with rodents...

Two thousand years ago, the Egyptians worshipped cats as gods.

The cats have never forgotten this..........

Two thousand years ago, the Egyptians worshipped cats as gods.

The cats have never forgotten this..........

Neither have cat owners XD

Yes my cats probably think they are royality...of course they are. But I try not to tell others (or them ) because they would try and steal them. lol. You should see how they act. Very very proper and they are both females. :wub:

I'm not gonna say it. Nope, uh-uh. Not gonna do it.......

:devil:

Baaaaad JM baaaad... *snickerfits*

:innocent:

what?

:lol:

So according to your belief Silver Cougar, everything you believe in, becomes a god ?. So, I could take this pencil, on my desk here, and suddenly believe that it's a God, and it therefore is ?. If this is true then with 2 billion worshippers, I would claim that Jesus Christ and God are the most powerful Gods in existance.

They are? By who? And Christianity is the largest organized religion in the world! Sounds like a lot of people accept the accounts of Jesus' life as facts.

Once again a Christian living in a delusional world of persecution ... when there's a freakin' church on every bloody corner!

Blatantly false! Give me a break!

Wish I could live to see the day.

Yes, we have seen your objectivety and definition of how "proper" scholarship should be conducted. If it conforms to my religious beliefs, then it's proper scholarship. If not ...

Sean

Well... There IS a big difference between 2 Billion people CLAIMING to be Christians, and those who are ACTUALLY such... World's largest membered Church is the Roman Catholic Church, and though there are many true Christians within its rank, Many others are not, since they have believed in the peculiar Catholic Dogmas that do oppose salvation by faith alone in jesus Christ, and by His grace alone... Sadly, almost every "church" in the World today has bot saved/unsaved, as that depends upon which Jesus they believe unto, and what Gospel they are hanging unto too...

So there are many more true Moslems, pagens, other religious followers than true Christians upoon the earth, so do not feel persucuted, but do feel as though Christianity is the one religion that gets bad mouthed down, as it is open game to mock out truths and jesus, but Heaven forbid you mock Allah and Mohhammed!

And I NEVER said that good Biblical scholarship HAS to fit exactly my beliefs, just that one needs to do an Honest review of the Historical evidence/conditions/documental facts etc concerning Jesus/Bible/Early Church, and not as much of what passes today as critical scholarship does... They come to these evidences, already determined that God either does not exist, thus NO Supernatural to account for, or else that the Gospels in particular MUST be false and ridden full of errors and lies...

You accuse me of being biased to throw out automatically their conclusions, but why is it not true the other way, since they throw out valid points that show opposite of what they hold and teach to?

Yes Jesusfan this is a valid question. Do you as a Christian....believe and respect other religions?

Two seperate questions/answers..

Do I respect other religions? If you are asking to I allow for others to place their faith in them, yes, we all have been granted the free will by God to believe what we chose to concerning God and Eternity, but I do not respect/believe them as being equal to/valid as Christianity is, since Jesus Christ is the Risen Lord and Saviour, so by definition of truth, since He alone qualifies as the Saviour.Messiah of whole earth, than the Christianity that has one placing faith and belief in Jesus as messiah/God Incarnate, is the True religion...

Well... There IS a big difference between 2 Billion people CLAIMING to be Christians, and those who are ACTUALLY such... World's largest membered Church is the Roman Catholic Church, and though there are many true Christians within its rank, Many others are not, since they have believed in the peculiar Catholic Dogmas that do oppose salvation by faith alone in jesus Christ, and by His grace alone... Sadly, almost every "church" in the World today has bot saved/unsaved, as that depends upon which Jesus they believe unto, and what Gospel they are hanging unto too...

So there are many more true Moslems, pagens, other religious followers than true Christians upoon the earth, so do not feel persucuted, but do feel as though Christianity is the one religion that gets bad mouthed down, as it is open game to mock out truths and jesus, but Heaven forbid you mock Allah and Mohhammed!

The only people who say "Don't bad-mouth Allah!" are the politically correct morons. However, we DO have a much easier time proving that at least Mohammed did exist, because the Quran is supposedly entirely his writing, we have numerous accounts from his contemporaries on Mohammed and his life, and we know when and where Mohammed lived and died. We do not have the same for Jesus, who left no writings of his own (only sayings that the Gospels supposedly copied), and his historical contemporaries, for the most part, left no note of whether he was really there or not.

And I NEVER said that good Biblical scholarship HAS to fit exactly my beliefs, just that one needs to do an Honest review of the Historical evidence/conditions/documental facts etc concerning Jesus/Bible/Early Church, and not as much of what passes today as critical scholarship does... They come to these evidences, already determined that God either does not exist, thus NO Supernatural to account for, or else that the Gospels in particular MUST be false and ridden full of errors and lies...

You don't seriously think that the major Biblical scholarship, including the kind that criticizes the Gospels, simply emerged from atheists? The first Biblical scholars to engage in criticism were those of the Northern Renaissance in Europe, who tended to be very strong Christians. Even today, many bible critics come from theological schools and seminaries.

You accuse me of being biased to throw out automatically their conclusions, but why is it not true the other way, since they throw out valid points that show opposite of what they hold and teach to?

Perhaps it is true the other way (although I am doubtful), but that does not validate your wall of ignorance.

So according to your belief Silver Cougar, everything you believe in, becomes a god ?. So, I could take this pencil, on my desk here, and suddenly believe that it's a God, and it therefore is ?. If this is true then with 2 billion worshippers, I would claim that Jesus Christ and God are the most powerful Gods in existance.

._o where the heck did you get that from? Intresting interpratation...

No not everything I believe in becomes a god. I have absolutely no idea why you would think that. I was talking about the gods that existed long before the abrahamic one... the pagan gods of old. Not turning a pencil into one. Though I'm sure there is someone out there who has.

It's all within the human mind do they have this power. You can look at say.. a beautiful sunset.. and think that "God" made it so... Well maybe to you and anyone else who believes in the same one.... But to those who do not worship this god will say it's beauty is from their own deity. It's all in the perseption and projection on the instant. You believe in this god... you believe that he or she made something.. thus to you... they had the power to make such happen. *shrugs*

Edited by SilverCougar