Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Extreme heat in France

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1    Ronin6th

Ronin6th

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 11:19 AM

Whereas it estimated around 500 last week, the recent statement comes about 10000 victims (no typing mistake!), supposed to be older people who couldn't stand the heat. emergency services are told to be crowded, the medical staffs showed in the news seem to be exhausted. They called former retired medics for backup.

The most disgusting, as I said to KC in an IM, is to see the politics trying to take the credit of it, the ones blaming the others for lowing Health budget, the other for reducing labour times in public services...

At least, our lovely president decided to show his face for a speech this morning...tan skinned...

If you cannot be the First, be the One.

*Signature removed, exceeds permitted size guidelines - Click Here for details.

#2    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 21 August 2003 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE (Ronin6th @ Aug 21 2003, 07:19 AM)

At least, our lovely president decided to show his face for a speech this morning...tan skinned...

Oh, after everything else you've had to endure, and then that!   sad.gif

(again, I'm really glad to know that you're okay Ronin)   original.gif  

#3    Ronin6th

Ronin6th

Psychic Spy

• 1,499 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 11:52 AM

Thank you for worrying KC! original.gif  wub.gif

Then I have a little gift for you... wink2.gif  

Attached Files

#4    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 21 August 2003 - 01:01 PM

w00t.gif  tongue.gif    OH RONIN YOU'RE A SWEETHEART!   wub.gif

tongue.gif  tongue.gif   (oops,  gonna need a new keyboard now!)   laugh.gif

#5    Starlyte

Starlyte

Psychic Spy

• 1,657 posts

• Wisdom begins in wonder.
    --Socrates

Posted 21 August 2003 - 02:42 PM

I have a question.  Is it common for people to not have air-conditioning in France?  Is that one of the reasons why this heat wave has had such a major impact?  I don't know what I do without my a/c.  It is supposed to hit 100 degrees here today with a heat index pushing 110.   cool.gif  

The Earth has music for those who listen." - Shakespeare

Posted Image

#6    Ronin6th

Ronin6th

Psychic Spy

• 1,499 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 03:33 PM

Oh, probably in public offices and great firms...but it's rare in common housing, as some buildings are still old and not equiped.

#7    Bizarro

Bizarro

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 05:33 PM

hehe, i have a game i like to play.  i see how long i can make it into the day before i turn on the air conditioner.  i come home for lunch and its very hot in my apartment but i keep it off.  then when sweat is pouring down my face, i give in and finally turn it on.  it keeps me acclimated to the heat.  

if there was a meteor,
adrift amongst space,
set about on a collision course
not with Earth, but my face...
i wonder if id even know,
at what time i might,
be passed off like an old style
and by the meteor be smite?

- me, 1997

#8    Ronin6th

Ronin6th

Psychic Spy

• 1,499 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 06:08 PM

huh.gif I really don't know what to say Bizarro about that... laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  

#9    Bizarro

Bizarro

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 09:04 PM

uh, neither do i, Ronin original.gif  

if there was a meteor,
adrift amongst space,
at what time i might,

- me, 1997

#10    Aslan

Aslan

Psychic Spy

• 1,523 posts

• Scariest Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 21 August 2003 - 09:58 PM

Personally I think this was an absolute  bloody tragedy.

British sensibility is certainly completely ill-equipped to deal with temperatures of 37 degrees - not to say the medical establishment; air-conditioning is unknown in Britain, and I imagine it's the case in Northern France - because there's just no need for it; a heatwave of this magnitude is just inconceivable in Northern Europe, and no wonder.

My heart goes out to the French, it really does. I saw on the news just yesterday that 5000 dead was the latest estimate. This is a tragedy of immense proportions.

And with that in mind, I'm sorry Bizarro, but I think your post was crass and insensitive. Thousands of people have died here. Died. If anybody had posted anything so jovial and off-hand on your 'blackout' thread, you would have been up in arms - and quite rightly so.

So why post what you did? Senseless. Just senseless.

#11    Bizarro

Bizarro

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 10:05 PM

what?  insensitive?  i think you are misunderstanding me.  for one thing, i live in a place that is hot all the damn time (im sweating right now) so i may not come across as being sensitive to people i don't understand but that is not my intention.  i was just offering a bit of advice on how to acclimate yourself to the heat so that when it does get hot, you don't die(which incidently i was directing towards Americans with AC, not Ronin).  people here die from the heat all the time!  everyday.   air conditioning takes away your ability to handle it if you are constantly indoors and never exposed to it.  

sorry.  i really didn't intend to make light of anything.  i was just making a comment.  maybe im just too accustomed to people dying in the heat like you were to blackouts when you laughed about our power outage.  

if there was a meteor,
adrift amongst space,
at what time i might,

- me, 1997

#12    Aslan

Aslan

Psychic Spy

• 1,523 posts

• Scariest Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 21 August 2003 - 10:21 PM

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...topic=5396&st=0

Right then. I defy anybody to find where I laughed about your power outage. Where did I make light of this? Point it out out to me? Go on, Bizarro, I dare you.

#13    Bizarro

Bizarro

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 10:41 PM

it was in the chat, but that is beside the point.  i will retract that statement altogether.  i am just pointing out that you stated blackouts were common and not a big deal and made light of our making it a big deal.  

my thing here is that in the US, when there is a heatwave, most of the people who die are old and have lived their whole lives out.  technically, they died from the heatwave, but really they died because they are old and can't cope with stress like younger people can.  its a tragedy, yes, but its also the cycle of life.  this kind of thing happens all the time here, mostly its in the form of a raised number of deaths on hot days in the summer.  my grandfathers both died in the summer.  that is just life here.  i was not being insensitive, i just didn't realize that kind of thing was such a tragic event because it is everyday life here.   i am just guessing that the majority of those deaths were older people who have lived long otherwise content lives- i don't know this for sure, but i assumed.  thus, i also assumed it was not a 'true' tragedy where people were cut down in their primes by some dastardly deed.  if i was wrong, i apologize.  i am sorry people died from the heat.  i should have said so but i made an obtuse comment that was taken wrong.  i am sorry for that.  

if there was a meteor,
adrift amongst space,
at what time i might,

- me, 1997

#14    bigsteff

bigsteff

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 10:54 PM

IS THAT WHY THE FRENCH ALWAYS GO ON STRIKE IN THE SUMMER...IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT ,STRIKE LIKE A FRENCHMAN laugh.gif  

#15    bigsteff

bigsteff

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 11:01 PM

OOPS SORRY I MISSED SOMETHING...BUT THE FRENCH ARE KNOWEN TO DRINK THEIR WINE...INCLUDING THE CHILDREN....NOW UNLESS I HAVE TO EXPLAIN THIS,,YOU WILL KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT...I'E....HEAT/WINE/DEATH...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users