Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What would you do?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1    Exeter

Exeter

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

• He's always on my mind

Posted 21 August 2003 - 05:41 PM

Please consider the following scenario:

One month from now a massive interstellar craft seemingly appears out of nowhere and settles into orbit around earth. The fact is undeniable; pictures and video of the huge craft spread to all corners of the globe through the media and the internet.

Within hours of it's arrival, the craft begins transmitting basic mathematical equations using simple radio frequencies. Scientists on earth assume this an attempt to communication and begin transmitting equations back to the craft.

A week has gone by, yet, no real communication has been established. Unexpectedly, hundreds of small ships emerge from the huge craft and begin flying low over all the countries of the earth. They are not attacking in any way, but are simply flying all over the globe.

What would happen next?

Would some country scramble jets to intercept the small ships simply because they were invading their airspace and risk war with these obviously advanced aliens?

Or, would everyone just sit around and wait to see if some form of communication is eventually established?

Taking this a step further, what would you do if you were the leader of your country?

I know this sounds like the move Independence Day, but while considering these questions remember that these aliens have committed no acts of violence.

UFOs = weather balloons of the Gods.

#2    Pale_Horse

Pale_Horse

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 06:18 PM

In my opinion, the most practical choice would be to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.  In my respective case, (American), I would hope the pres. would shift the military into DEFCON 1 but not attempt any first-strike measures until their intentions/communications can be ascertained.  In this case, if the sh*t hits the fan, at least we would be able to put up some sort of defense.  

My hair's turnin' white, my neck's always been red, my collar's still blue.
We've always been here tryin' to sing the truth to you.
Guess you could say we've always been red, white and blue.

Let's do it again!

#3    Aslan

Aslan

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

• Scariest Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 21 August 2003 - 06:55 PM

Where's uranium when you need him? Doubtless this has actually happened over the little scamp's home town. The noble inhabitants blew the aliens right back to the planet Blob too, I'll warrant.

#4    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,906 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 07:16 PM

Chances are, even if no alien ever made a threatening move, the minute a vessel came out of the mother ship, some country would open fire on it, just because it invaded airspace.

Only afterwards would the mmistake be seen and by then it would be too late.

"We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences."
David Gemmell

#5    Nintendork

Nintendork

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

• One day i will rule this

Posted 21 August 2003 - 09:11 PM

My opinion is to get out there and feed those aliens an interstellar can of whoopass! cat.gif  

Is adult entertainment killing our children, or is killing our children entertaining adults?

The reason Sants's so jolly is because he knows where all the naughty children live!-george carlin

#6    Exeter

Exeter

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

• He's always on my mind

Posted 21 August 2003 - 09:59 PM

Thanx everyone . The reason I posted this is because I've heard so much about how we (supposedly) are slowly being conditioned by the media to accept the existence of ETs. But, fact is, if aliens ever did make their presence known to the world we would most likely react out of fear and get into a huge mess.

Edited by Exeter, 21 August 2003 - 10:23 PM.

#7    Blood Angel

Blood Angel

Poltergeist

• 2,389 posts

• Deus Ex Conspiratio

Posted 21 August 2003 - 11:09 PM

I would put ALL (including reserves) military resources on standby at full alert, continues attempts to communicate and "buzz" their crafts with fighter jets, to gain some kind of response. Theres not really much you can do if thats all they do is continously fly around, but a intelligent species would probably make contact to let any peaceful intentions known, if they were going for a invasion attempt or some kind of attack, they would be intelligent enough to realise we know something is up with the sheer amount of force thats on the ground and air.

Fight Win Prevail - me
No guts No Glory - me
Cadjole....i like that word, so much more sophisticated than bludgeon.
Vicious says: You are saying impudence to me! That is impudence!!!1

#8    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 22 August 2003 - 02:38 AM

I dunno, if they've made no hostile moves, then I doubt that anyone would use force against them, but I do think that the military would be put on alert.  Also depends on how the smaller craft are flown around, are they buzzing military bases or just ambling along, checking things out?  It would be a watch and see type deal, but I'd hate to have to let them make the first move, it could be a doozy.

Nothing to see here.

#9    Halo_Jones

Halo_Jones

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts

• Thanks to Universal Absurdity and The Barman for my new Groovy Dynamite Diva.....See UA & thebarman's Animated Avatar Workshop

Posted 22 August 2003 - 09:30 AM

Exeter....Are you an alien who's trying to establish the mind of the average human in the event of your species imminent arrival and takeover?
.......cause you've come to the wrong place for a rundown of the average human mind. wink2.gif  wacko.gif  

#10    Blood Angel

Blood Angel

Poltergeist

• 2,389 posts

• Deus Ex Conspiratio

Posted 22 August 2003 - 09:39 AM

Yeah but snuffy you would need the military on the streets to keep human order not against aliens, mass panic looters etc etc

ph34r.gif gunsmilie.gif

Fight Win Prevail - me
No guts No Glory - me
Cadjole....i like that word, so much more sophisticated than bludgeon.
Vicious says: You are saying impudence to me! That is impudence!!!1

#11    Exeter

Exeter

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

• He's always on my mind

Posted 22 August 2003 - 01:41 PM

I'm sure as soon as one of the small ships was to fly over restricted airspace they'd be order to be shot down. Sad, really. After all the centuries of contemplation whether or not we're alone in the universe, it seems inevitable that first contact would result in war.

Exeter....Are you an alien who's trying to establish the mind of the average human in the event of your species imminent arrival and takeover?
.......cause you've come to the wrong place for a rundown of the average human mind.

Lol grin2.gif   No, I'm just making vacation plans for this solar cycle. cool.gif

YEAR! I mean, year! I'm not an alien!!! alien.gif

#12    Kaj

Kaj

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 09:53 PM

I think earth would look like a game of risk for the aliens.
And I think, if not a country, a loonie in the jungle or something would fire a bazooka at the ships. (I know him, next door)

The best way for aliens to contact earth would be by signals..communication only as a first step.

We are just farts in space and time.

Be nice !

#13    uranium101

uranium101

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 12:44 AM

since i'm american, i guess i would draft civilians and create a huge military build up. then i would gather allies and convince them to do the same. we could form an alliance or... something. then prep all forces and send jets to patrol, not to intercept. (undoubtly if any country tries to destroy these craft they will probably be turned to ashes or otherwise) anyway, after that i would wait for proper communications to be established. then... who knows?

Jesus died for everyone, but if you were the only person living, he'd still die just for you. --- Uranium101

#14    AndyThorley

AndyThorley

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

• You're only insane when you think you arent...

Posted 23 August 2003 - 12:58 AM

The main problem with what youre all saying here (about having jets patrol and such) is how would the aliens know that you didnt mean them harm...

I mean flying up to them in a stealth bomber armed to the teeth is hardly going to be the most effective welcome mat...

I'd take a different aproach...broadcast some things back to them...perhaps expand on the ideas they radio'd (sp?) to earth and add a little more...see if we couldnt get some kinda data exchange goin on.

The military would be put on standby...but no extra would be drafted because it would literally be bows and arrows against the lightning if combat broke out...

Posted Image

#15    thepsychoticseaotter

thepsychoticseaotter

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

• Ice, Snow, Blood and Iron!!!

Posted 30 August 2003 - 12:31 AM

Three words: " fire at will"  let God figure if they were good or not.  

Ravens KeepA forum for Classic D&D, AD&D and the upcoming Castles and Crusades.

Soon it's over, all the dwarfs defeated
The silence of the caverns stand still
Orcs took the command of the caves and depths
The darklord has reached his will ---Battlelore

Fill my mug, I just want to forget
All the troubles and fighting
And the ghosts in my head --Battlelore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users