Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chinese are raising St. Bernard dogs for food

BigDaddy_GFS

I don't know if this true or not.

---------------

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/bernard.htm

News

reports from and about China are notoriously difficult to verify, and given the size and diversity of China's population, any statement about what "Chinese people do" has to be taken with a grain of salt. Several European newspapers and news agencies have run items in recent weeks about the raising of St. Bernard dogs for food in China, although newspapers often pick up stories from each other without verifying the information (and thus all report the same apocryphal story as true, as recently happened with the Working Stiff legend). Some of these papers carried stories filed by reporters in Beijing itself, which gives them a bit more credibility, but even these reporters seem to have been relaying information they were told rather than scenes they personally witnessed. Nonetheless, we're cautiously assuming the basic facts found in the reports are true, based on the sheer persistence of the reports.

The main thrust of the articles is that some 11,000 signatures have been collected by a group in Switzerland known as the SOS St Bernard Dogs in order to prod the Swiss government into lodging a formal protest with China, and the validity of the protest is supported with various quotes and scenes gathered from around China:

In Datong, where coal was once the biggest business, sacked miners now make money cross-breeding pure St Bernards with local mutts that are reared solely for the stovetop. "The meat is so tender and has a unique aroma," said Meng Li, a local breeder.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Richdog

• undeadlizard

• frogfish

• Lord Umbarger

I see no reason why it wouldn't be true... the chinese have an infamous lack of respect when it comes to animals, so I don't see why some wouldn't breed large dogs for food. After all we breed pigs to eat, and they're more intelligent...

There are loads of possible jokes to be had here. But I wont. :D

The act of eating dogs, to me is cruel. But as we know different cultures and the need to survive, it happens. :hmm:

I see no reason why it wouldn't be true... the chinese have an infamous lack of respect when it comes to animals, so I don't see why some wouldn't breed large dogs for food. After all we breed pigs to eat, and they're more intelligent...

so are you saying that we also have a lack of respect for animals?

but why not, they're animals, and as we are also animals and being omnivores (eat both meat and vegetables + fruits) why not eat them as well. you eat lambs and pigs and chickens ect (by you I mean everyone apart from vegetarians)

It makes me laugh when people who eat chicken, beef, lamb and fish get all upset about people eating dogs. Really, what is the difference???? You are just as bad in my eyes.

so are you saying that we also have a lack of respect for animals?

No, but if you could tell me where I wrote that i'd appreciate it.

My point was that the chinese have a lack of regard for animals when it comes to eating, they don't always discriminate between pets/endangered etc as we well know. Often, food to them is food no matter w3hat the source, and in many parts they have less choice of food variety as we take for granted.

We on the other hand, eat cattle and do not touch animals we consider as pets or intelligent. Which is hypocritical seeing as pigs are in fact more intelligent than dogs.

Edited by Richdog

My point was that the chinese have a lack of regard for animals when it comes to eating, they don't always discriminate between pets/endangered etc as we well know. Often, food to them is food no matter w3hat the source, and in many parts they have less choice of food variety as we take for granted.

We on the other hand, eat cattle and do not touch animals we consider as pets or intelligent. Which is hypocritical seeing as pigs are in fact more intelligent than dogs.

l agree with what you are saying richdog , it is well known that Chinese eat dog and cat , here is a link but BEWARE , on the website there are picture that may be DISTURBING to some people , if you love dogs you will probably find the pictures OFFENSIVE. (l know l did)

but not all Chinese eat dog some are against eating dog, in the article it states that

many Chinese people are passionately against the idea of eating our “best friends”.
Edited by fawkes2

when it comes to food there is no right or wrong. an example is india. they respect the cows and worship the cows (correct me if iam wrong b/c iam not sure). so its obviously that we are wrong in their eyes. who are we to say what is wrong and what is right? we just have to respect the other cultures, because its obviously that every culture is very different. muslims dont eat pork b/c of their religion. so should i make fun and say that bacon is tasty come and eat it, or respect them? ofcourse eating dogs is really strange but not wrong.

have a nice day

Its the point of view...

To the people who eat dogs, thy are just like pigs....we keep dogs as pets, so we are offended....how do you think people who keep Pot-Bellied Pigs as pets feel about pork?

The Natives in New Guinea eat Snakes and lizards...the Zoe People of Brazil eat andacondas and jaguars....Many people around South-east Asia eat monkeys....we eat beef, pork, and lamb...

they respect the cows and worship the cows (correct me if iam wrong b/c iam not sure).

Only Hindus...thats why they are mostly Vegetarians or just don't eat beef (chicken and others is fine...). A surprising amount eat beef...Not all of India dpon't eat cows...I;m from India, but I'm Catholic...I eat beef.

ofcourse eating dogs is really strange but not wrong.

and in their eyes, what we eat is strange...

i totally agree with you frogfish. ofcourse we are offended. as the indians are offended when we eat cows which is their god (i think so ). every culture is offended by another culture thats life i guess.

have a nice day

sorry richdog, I read your post wrong >_< I mis-read it, but i just re-read your post and it makes more sense than it did earlier to me :wacko:

i totally agree with you frogfish. ofcourse we are offended. as the indians are offended when we eat cows which is their god (i think so ). every culture is offended by another culture thats life i guess.

have a nice day

yeah l agree :tu:

They don't WORSHIP cows...they just don't hurt them...they are religious symbols, like the crucifix..

Edited by frogfish

sorry richdog, I read your post wrong >_< I mis-read it, but i just re-read your post and it makes more sense than it did earlier to me :wacko:

lol maybe I didn't word it as I should have, sometimes when you are thinking and typing at the same time what sounds simple to you in your head as a thought... doesn't always look as clear to someone as a post. :)

thanks frogfish now i know the truth!!!!!

about cows

i cant wait to go and eat my lunch. its scorpions with rice, spider soup, and monkey brains(from indian jones) and for dessert i will have an albino tiger . sweet !!! :)

cu guys

hit me up for new recipes :)

It's kind of hard to eat an animal after you've come to think of them as friends, pets, or part of the family. When we read about dogs being butchered and eaten we invaryably think of Fido and we feel repulsed. This could happen with any animal. In the story "Charlettes Web" the little girl doesn't want her "pet" pig to be slaughtered.

I was once told by a girl from South Korea that Americans ask "What is it?" and Asians ask "How do you eat it?". I don't know, she might have been exagerating.

Of course there are / were some cultures who considered it a funeral rite to cook and eat thier dead relatives. They seemed shocked that the anthropologists told them that westerners were not cannabals.

When you concider the foods that we do eat in the west, loaded down with all the chemical perservetives and colouring dyes, a lot of the world would probably be put off by our diets!

I eat deer and I know that many people are disturbed by images of "Bambi" whenever the thoght crosses thier minds. So, in some ways, I guess that I'm not better.

Even though sleddogs have been consumed by Eskimos when near starvation and the Soviets are rumored to have eaten just about anything during the seige of Stalingrad, I still find eating dog to be revolting. I guess if I were near starvation myself I would do whatever I had to do but, I certainly would not like it.

500th post

I just don't like the idea of eating a carnivore. It feels like it's wrong. I am offended by the idea of them breeding dogs for food and know that we do the same with our cattle and such. But I mostly don't like the idea of eating a carnivore, it's just a personal issue of mine.

I guess that it's mostly a case of personal...er...taste.

If you want to know more about these things, here are some links :

http://www.chinasucks.org/xichang.htm

http://www.all-creatures.org/anex/dog.html

There are many websites contributed to these gruesome ' pieces of Chinese culture " circulating the world wide web. I suggest you take a look.

If this is a piece of these peoples "culture", then I dont like their culture. These animals are being brutally tortured and butchered for no reason. They are harmless and defenceless, intelligent animals. They dont need the dogs for food. Its concidered to be a 'delicacy'.

I just don't like the idea of eating a carnivore. It feels like it's wrong. I am offended by the idea of them breeding dogs for food and know that we do the same with our cattle and such. But I mostly don't like the idea of eating a carnivore, it's just a personal issue of mine.

Well... dogs aren't really carnivores in the strictest sense. Sure, they eat meat, but 99% of the time it is food provided by humans out of a tin or off of a dinnerplate... we're not exactly talking a graceful killer like a Lion that hunts antelopes in your back yard. :)

Forget the dogs! In some more rural parts of Zhejiang province in China, some schools collect young student's urine to cook with eggs. It is supposed to be healthy. I'll take the dog kabob anyday over p***-over-easy. When I first heard of this I asked one of my students from the province about this, and he confirmed that it is true. Believe it or not.

Not sure about the Chinese, but I've first-hand experience that Vietnamese eat canines.

"Dried dogs legs" hang in shop windows in shady stores in the town I live.

Mmm.