Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Chinese are raising St. Bernard dogs for food

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:07 AM

They don't WORSHIP cows...they just don't hurt them...they are religious symbols, like the crucifix..

Edited by frogfish, 02 December 2005 - 01:07 AM.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#17    Richdog

Richdog

Poltergeist

• 2,322 posts

• Iactans Exoletus!

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:12 AM

sorry richdog, I read your post wrong >_< I mis-read it, but i just re-read your post and it makes more sense than it did earlier to me  wacko.gif

lol maybe I didn't word it as I should have, sometimes when you are thinking and typing at the same time what sounds simple to you in your head as a thought... doesn't always look as clear to someone as a post. original.gif

Posted Image
“Well what did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically accross the pains…?” - Basil Fawlty, in response to an old woman complaining about the view out of her English guesthouse window.

#18    undeadlizard

undeadlizard

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:22 AM

thanks frogfish now i know the truth!!!!!
about cows

i cant wait to go and eat my lunch. its scorpions with rice, spider soup, and monkey brains(from indian jones) and for dessert i will have an albino tiger . sweet !!! original.gif
cu guys
hit me up for new recipes original.gif

deat is nothing more than ......

#19    Lord Umbarger

Lord Umbarger

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,553 posts

• The propeller isn't there to move the plane through the air. It's there to keep the pilot cool. See how much he sweats when it stops running? (!)

Posted 02 December 2005 - 04:22 AM

It's kind of hard to eat an animal after you've come to think of them as friends, pets, or part of the family. When we read about dogs being butchered and eaten we invaryably think of Fido and we feel repulsed. This could happen with any animal. In the story "Charlettes Web" the little girl doesn't want her "pet" pig to be slaughtered.

I was once told by a girl from South Korea that Americans ask "What is it?" and Asians ask "How do you eat it?". I don't know, she might have been exagerating.
Of course there are / were some cultures who considered it a funeral rite to cook and eat thier dead relatives. They seemed shocked that the anthropologists told them that westerners were not cannabals.

When you concider the foods that we do eat in the west, loaded down with all the chemical perservetives and colouring dyes, a lot of the world would probably be put off by our diets!

I eat deer and I know that many people are disturbed by images of "Bambi" whenever the thoght crosses thier minds. So, in some ways, I guess that I'm not better.

Even though sleddogs have been consumed by Eskimos when near starvation and the Soviets are rumored to have eaten just about anything during the seige of Stalingrad, I still find eating dog to be revolting. I guess if I were near starvation myself I would do whatever I had to do but, I certainly would not like it.

500th post

To most people the sky is the limit, to those who fly, the sky is home.
If you don't have brains, you'd better have money!
The FAAs new motto,  "WE'RE not happy until YOU'RE not happy!"
http://www.facebook.com/ThePIRGpage

#20    Melrsa

Melrsa

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 07:41 AM

I just don't like the idea of eating a carnivore. It feels like it's wrong. I am offended by the idea of them breeding dogs for food and know that we do the same with our cattle and such. But I mostly don't like the idea of eating a carnivore, it's just a personal issue of mine.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried!

#21    Lord Umbarger

Lord Umbarger

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,553 posts

• The propeller isn't there to move the plane through the air. It's there to keep the pilot cool. See how much he sweats when it stops running? (!)

Posted 02 December 2005 - 07:49 AM

I guess that it's mostly a case of personal...er...taste.

#22    greychupa

greychupa

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

• *Oscar Wilde quote goes here

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:32 AM

If you want to know more about these things, here are some links :
http://www.chinasucks.org/xichang.htm
http://www.all-creatures.org/anex/dog.html

There are many websites contributed to these gruesome ' pieces of Chinese culture " circulating the world wide web. I suggest you take a look.

If this is a piece of these peoples "culture", then I dont like their culture. These animals are being brutally tortured and butchered for no reason. They are harmless and defenceless, intelligent animals. They dont need the dogs for food. Its concidered to be a  'delicacy'.

#23    Richdog

Richdog

Poltergeist

• 2,322 posts

• Iactans Exoletus!

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:36 AM

I just don't like the idea of eating a carnivore. It feels like it's wrong. I am offended by the idea of them breeding dogs for food and know that we do the same with our cattle and such. But I mostly don't like the idea of eating a carnivore, it's just a personal issue of mine.

Well... dogs aren't really carnivores in the strictest sense.  Sure, they eat meat, but 99% of the time it is food provided by humans out of a tin or off of a dinnerplate... we're not exactly talking a graceful killer like a Lion that hunts antelopes in your back yard. original.gif

Posted Image
“Well what did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically accross the pains…?” - Basil Fawlty, in response to an old woman complaining about the view out of her English guesthouse window.

#24    LISTENintheDARK

LISTENintheDARK

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:39 AM

Forget the dogs! In some more rural parts of Zhejiang province in China, some schools collect young student's urine to cook with eggs. It is supposed to be healthy. I'll take the dog kabob anyday over piss-over-easy. When I first heard of this I asked one of my students from the province about this, and he confirmed that it is true. Believe it or not.

#25    Mad Manfred

Mad Manfred

Cutesy Wootsy

• 4,505 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 02:16 AM

Not sure about the Chinese, but I've first-hand experience that Vietnamese eat canines.

"Dried dogs legs" hang in shop windows in shady stores in the town I live.

Mmm.

#26    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,877 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 05 December 2005 - 12:33 PM

I have a preditory instinct I guess.

I will eat deer, rabbit, cows, pigs, chickens.  Because to me they are prey animals.

Though many preditory animals will eat dogs and cats...  But, because I have a ready source of food (go get me a steak from the store!) I see no need to eat dogs and cats. (and these same preditory animals will generaly stay away from human pets when their normal prey animals are avalible...)

Does that mean that if my meat supply is gone will I eat dogs and cats? No.. ;P As pointed out.. humans are omnivours... I'll just move on to the next...  Then again, I have been known to go for days without eating so... *shrugs*

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#27    Nadal

Nadal

Das Laufende Kaninchen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

• To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.--Buddha

Posted 05 December 2005 - 12:42 PM

It all goes to the same place, your stomach, higher, lower intestine.  Some cultures such as Hendu believe in cows are sacred and eating them is a crime agains't nature.  Just our opinion on the matter, not a weird fact at all but just a fact.

Edited by Nadal, 05 December 2005 - 08:34 PM.

Posted Image

#28    Lord Umbarger

Lord Umbarger

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,553 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:35 PM

When I was in college, most of the people there would call Chinese food "Poodles & Noodles"! If someone bought a lot of Chinese take-out, we'd say that the bought "Oodles and oodles of poodles and noodles! The menus at such places were called "doodles of food-les".

We had much better alcohol back then!

Edited by Lord Umbarger, 05 December 2005 - 09:38 PM.

#29    KayEl

KayEl

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 02:35 PM

I see no reason why it wouldn't be true... the chinese have an infamous lack of respect when it comes to animals, so I don't see why some wouldn't breed large dogs for food.  After all we breed pigs to eat, and they're more intelligent...

Yes, that is very very true. I was in China two years ago and believe me, animals are NOT treated well there. no.gif

And this is a country where in certain parts they eat FRIED RATS.
St. Bernards? I wouldn't be surprised if this were true.... wacko.gif

#30    LISTENintheDARK

LISTENintheDARK

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:19 PM

They have a saying in China that the people in Guangdong province (Canton) eat everything with legs, except tables, and they eat everything with wings, except airplanes. Hence, pretty much everything is fair game.

When I lived there, the most unique things I ate were camel, horse, yak, and inscets. The horse was not very good. I would try dog if given the opportunity.

My philosophy is that if other humans eat it, I can eat it too: except, of course, the urine eggs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users