Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Chinese are raising St. Bernard dogs for food

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31    KayEl

KayEl

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:46 PM

They have a saying in China that the people in Guangdong province (Canton) eat everything with legs, except tables, and they eat everything with wings, except airplanes. Hence, pretty much everything is fair game.

When I lived there, the most unique things I ate were camel, horse, yak, and inscets. The horse was not very good. I would try dog if given the opportunity.

My philosophy is that if other humans eat it, I can eat it too: except, of course, the urine eggs.

Yes, that is very true as well.
Th most exotic thing I have ate was shark meat. Shark fin soup doesn't count!

#32    zoom7500

zoom7500

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 01:10 AM

alien.gif mmmm st.benard-a-licous

there out there

#33    kourui

kourui

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 175 posts

• you need him..i could be him..i could be an accident but i'm still tryin' that's all that i can say for him...

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:48 AM

YuCk!!! poor dogs... sad.gif

keep your eyes in the stars...coz you'll never be one...

#34    BazookaTooth

BazookaTooth

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 02:56 PM

It boils down to everyone but vegetarians being hypocrits when it comes to food,I'm a hypocrit too in the end I eat meat but I think the way animals are killed and bred is wrong.

*Signature removed, exceeds permitted size guidelines - Click Here for details.

#35    JennRose

JennRose

Poltergeist

• 2,284 posts

• All power rests on hierarchy: An army is nothing but a well-organized lynch mob.
    --Edward Abbey

Posted 14 December 2005 - 05:00 PM

Yup, slaughtering a dog for food is no different than a pig or cow or what not.  All of these animals feel fear and pain of slaughterhouses, so I think it's all wrong and terrible.  Even hunting a wild animal for meat is different than having an animal caged and mistreated for its entire life.

Posted Image

#36    hamellr

hamellr

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

• President of the Back in my day club

Posted 15 December 2005 - 12:50 AM

When I lived there, the most unique things I ate were camel, horse, yak, and inscets. The horse was not very good. I would try dog if given the opportunity.

My philosophy is that if other humans eat it, I can eat it too: except, of course, the urine eggs.

And Balut - I will never eat that.

I've had Deer, Bear, Elk, Beaver, squirrel, sheep (&lamb) Dog, pig, Rattle Snake, Shark, Alligator, Emu, Chicken, Cow, Ox, rabbit. Once you get most of it in sauce or cooked you can't usually tell the difference anyways. Food is food. Living on a farm as a kid you sometimes became attached to the animals as pets, but you always knew that they would eventually end up on the dinner table. I remember having packages of meat in the freezer labeled with the animal's name (Daisy, Agnes, Piggy,) instead of beef, chicken, bacon.

Now, in India it's custom to bury the dead (humans and animals) in rivers. People collect bones from the river bank and sell them to be made into bone meal. The US use to be one of the biggest importers of bone meal and it was primarily fed to cattle. The practice has taken a hit due to Mad Cow disease concerns, but it still happens. Even in the US animal bones (especially cattle,) are rendered back into feed for livestock. That's a lot more disturbing to me then eating animals we consider pets.

#37    greychupa

greychupa

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

• *Oscar Wilde quote goes here

Posted 15 December 2005 - 11:16 AM

Yup, slaughtering a dog for food is no different than a pig or cow or what not.  All of these animals feel fear and pain of slaughterhouses, so I think it's all wrong and terrible.  Even hunting a wild animal for meat is different than having an animal caged and mistreated for its entire life.

You sound like a vegetarian !!  tongue.gif  Are you ? but, I think hunting down animals is a bad thing too, no animal deserves to die just because people like the taste of its flesh and blood.  no.gif

#38    JennRose

JennRose

Poltergeist

• 2,284 posts

• All power rests on hierarchy: An army is nothing but a well-organized lynch mob.
    --Edward Abbey

Posted 15 December 2005 - 04:02 PM

Yeah, I am a vegetarian.  I don't really see a need in eating animals anymore; we don't need that to survive and the way it is done is usually barbaric.  I am less opposed to (legally) hunting animals for food than having them raised in misery in a slaughterhouse.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users