Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Atlantis: The Andes solution

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:52 PM

Image credit: Lloyd K. Townsend
Image credit: Lloyd K. Townsend
When we think of South America, we think of either Machu Picchu or the Maya, a mysterious civilisation capable of impressive feats of engineering and creators of complex interrelated calendar systems that ranged from days in length to millions of years in duration.

Most scholars would agree that South America has a rich archaeological history that we are only just beginning to discover.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Thothweb

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Welsh Shaun

Welsh Shaun

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts

• If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts.

Posted 16 December 2005 - 06:24 PM

Well thats a new slant on Atlantis. Yes it does fit in most parts, but there again its perhaps another theory which has been made to fit?

Posted Image

#3    ROGER

ROGER

Government Agent

• 3,463 posts

• Sticks and stone didnt break my bone,
    But old age is starting to Hurt me!

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:06 PM

crying.gif  I have wondered if a Global Catastrophe did happen in the not to distant future, what would remain of our Country and Culture. Could the America's or Europe be plunged back to the start of civilization? And our lives reduced to stories told by the Elders of our tribe?

The world can't end in 2012, I have a yogurt that expires in 2013.

#4    AztecInca

AztecInca

Martian

• 9,013 posts

• All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good people to do nothing.

Posted 17 December 2005 - 03:18 AM

It is a very interesting theory indeed but sadly but it will probably just remain a theory!

#5    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 17 December 2005 - 04:51 AM

I think the Andes are a little too far from the Pillars of Hercules to be a likely candidate for Atlantis. But you know, that's just me.

Nothing to see here.

#6    mklsgl

mklsgl

just me

• 3,153 posts

• They're selling postcards of the hanging
    They're painting the passports brown
    The beauty parlor's filled with sailors
    The circus is in town

Posted 17 December 2005 - 08:46 PM

One common misconception concerning Atlantis is that it is a story of a story of a story of a story and so on... Plato relates the Atlantis story as it was told to him and, arguably, as it was told to the person who then passed it on to Plato, with the possibility of a lineage of who knows how many storytellers before we get to the original source. This aspect is the "stuff" that makes everything which emerged from The Oral Tradition so wonderfully fascinating.

There are decidedly too many validated connections between the "Old World" and the "New World" which predate Columbus or the Vikings by millenia for any definitive, declarative assertion that they were ever mutually exclusive before being "discovered" or explored by those with light(er) skin and surnames.

Grateful Dead; July, 31, 1982 @ Manor Downs, Manor, TX
"Yes it's 'T' For Texas"
Be Here Now!

#7    dnb420

dnb420

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

• There is some fiction in your truth, and some truth in your fiction. To know the truth, you must risk everything.

Posted 17 December 2005 - 09:07 PM

these people are smoking rocks. this is what happens when unintelligant people have too much time/money. you get these whack jobs claiming they found atlantis. every week i read an article on how some tool found atlantis.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Meek and obedient you follow the leader
Down well trodden corridors into the valley of steel
What a surprise!
A look of terminal shock in your eyes
Now things are really what they seem
No, this is no bad dream
~Pink Floyd

#8    mklsgl

mklsgl

just me

• 3,153 posts

• They're selling postcards of the hanging
    They're painting the passports brown
    The beauty parlor's filled with sailors
    The circus is in town

Posted 17 December 2005 - 10:59 PM

dnb420:

Are you referring to Plato or Jim Allen and others who have claimed to have "found" Atlantis? I think that you're referring to the latter but I'd rather not assume.

I ask because it is entirely possible that the legend of Atlantis has some truth to it, in that, "ancient" indigenous peoples of the "New" and "Old" worlds had ongoing contact well before our version of history indicates. In other words, what is known as Atlantis may very well be a misconstrued story of a "New World" civilization.

Grateful Dead; July, 31, 1982 @ Manor Downs, Manor, TX
"Yes it's 'T' For Texas"
Be Here Now!

#9    Piney

Piney

Educated Redskin

• 2,713 posts

• Redbonz Stumpjumper from the swamps of Shamong

Posted 18 December 2005 - 01:41 AM

dnb420:

Are you referring to Plato or Jim Allen and others who have claimed to have "found" Atlantis? I think that you're referring to the latter but I'd rather not assume.

I ask because it is entirely possible that the legend of Atlantis has some truth to it, in that, "ancient" indigenous peoples of the "New" and "Old" worlds had ongoing contact well before our version of history indicates. In other words, what is known as Atlantis may very well be a misconstrued story of a "New World" civilization.

It has now been proven that there was a Phonecian port at the Bimini Islands and the Olmecs who first appeared out of nowhere about 1,200 BC were probably from Africa. So it is plausible.

Lapi'che

Token Nanticoke
http://woodlandindia...orums/index.php
It takes a certain amount of sophistication to live primitive. Stupid people usually don't survive...............

"There aren't any Indians in New Jersey. Just some inbred ******* that live in the woods."

-Donald Trump

#10    Cadetak

Cadetak

Defender of the Universe

• 6,371 posts

• Sometimes It's Darkest Just Before Dawn

Posted 18 December 2005 - 02:08 AM

With Atlantis comes Aquaman...nobody wants to se Aquaman do they?

Between Red Team and Blue Team I stand colorblind

Posted Image

"The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical atheist but the gentle cynic who cares not whether there is a god or not."-Eric Hoffer

#11    Mr. Gj Philosophy

Mr. Gj Philosophy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 12:00 PM

how about the knowledge of Edgar Cayce known as one of America's greatest psychics.

here are some websites i found about Edgar Cayce knowledge about Atlantis.

- http://www.dreamscape.com/morgana/juliet.htm
. . . . .The position as the continent Atlantis occupied, is that as between the Gulf of Mexico on the one hand -- and the Mediterranean upon the other. Evidences of this lost civilization are to be found in the Pyrenees and Morocco on the one hand, British Honduras, Yucatan and America upon the other. There are some protruding portions within this that must have at one time or another been a portion of this great continent. The British West Indies or the Bahamas, and a portion of same that may be seen in the present -- if the geological survey would be made in some of these -- especially, or notably, in Bimini and in the Gulf Stream through this vicinity, these may be even yet determined. . . . . .

- http://www.crystalinks.com/cayceatlantis.html (a very long article)
. . . . . 7. (Q) Was Atlantis one of the five points at which man appeared in the beginning, being the home of the red race? P> (A) One of the five points. As has been given, in what is known as Gobi, India, in Carpathia [?], or in that known as the Andes, and that known as in the western plain of what is now called America - the five places. . . . . .

- http://www.geocities.com/ecayce.geo/atlantis.htm
       . . . . . The Bible gives an account of this second change, terming it the flood. Before the final destruction which began about 10,700 B.C. the principal islands remaining were Poseidia, Aryaz and Og. The West Indies are remains of this great continent . . . . .

- http://all-ez.com/atlantis1.htm (a very long article)

Edited by Mr. Gj Philosophy, 31 December 2005 - 12:04 PM.

#12    dragonlady_mothman

dragonlady_mothman

Psychic Spy

• 1,745 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 11:42 PM

I seem to recall seeing a show on Atlantis.  They had a map that was supposedly of Atlantis, and you turn it upside down, it becomes South America.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#13    syos

syos

Alien Embryo

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 05:38 PM

i dont belive tat at all

#14    Glacies

Glacies

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!

• 2,095 posts

• How much wood, would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood...perhaps there are some things we are not meant to know...

Posted 04 January 2006 - 03:50 AM

With Atlantis comes Aquaman...nobody wants to se Aquaman do they?

while it is true no one truly wishes to see aquaman...(IMO the worst of the justice league...) finding atlantis would be the most significant find in archeological history (again, similar to my aquaman opinion, just IMO)

I have to agree, the whole map upside down notion portrayed in the documentary...is quite unbelievable. Unless it's suggested the map was drawn out of ancestral mappings of early ventures to the americas. course, without actually seeing the show, all I can do is speculate.

wow...came a pretty long way to say nothing there huh...

Posted Image
Let the record stand, AC is blind.

#15    ManISgod

ManISgod

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:52 PM

Atlantis being in the Andes is no new revelation. During WWII the Nazi's were quite facinated with the story of Atlantis as they belived that the arian race were direct decendants from the Atlanteans. For this reason they sent expeditions to south america, as the native poplulation is belived to be direct decendants from Atlantis.

As much as this story seems sorta out of wack, it is very likely the closest thing to atlantis that there ever was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users