Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

RAF Ghost Photograph

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#16    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 18 March 2002 - 02:11 AM

Gizzie, as it was 1917 most planes of that era had propellers no further than 10ft from the ground - most 4-6ft at a approximate guess. A spinning propeller is hard to see and even just 'clipping' it by accident on the wrong side would draw you into it due to it's motion. The other possibility is he had just started the engine - to do so you'd have to spin the propeller with enough force to turn the engine over. You'd probably have to throw your whole weight into it to do so and all it would take is to be slightly off balance...

Is that gory enough?  ;D

never take me too seriously

#17    GIZZIE

GIZZIE

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 March 2002 - 09:18 AM

You MEN!! You never cease to amaze me!! :s01

So, I'm gory because I failed to understand how Freddy walked into a propeller and you are all curious ( in the interests of science/logic/info gathering etc.) trying to figure out how the plane crashed into the Pentagon.  Wasn't it one of you who said all he wanted to do was see the plane (crashing into the Pentagon?).

Purple Stuart, thanks for the info.  the date being 1917 (I should read the info properly) of course the planes wouldn't have been Spits. I don't know what they would have been however - Red Baron stuff?

I'll just put it down to an unexplained tragic accident and reply, yes it was the ghost of Freddy and leave it at that

Swallows are the dolphins of the sky

#18    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 18 March 2002 - 09:57 AM

Good girl GIZZIE :), and not wanting to be left out, I voted yes for it being a real ghost as well.  :s09

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#19    GIZZIE

GIZZIE

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 March 2002 - 11:44 AM

Hmmm

The good girl Gizzie isn't accompanied by patting on the head is it?  As in  Don't worry your pretty little head. Leave it to the boys etc?
Cos if it does............. :s8

I think Freddy must have been deaf and blind so Ya Boo Sucks to all of You (wish there was an appropriate Smiley!)  Don't forget I'm a gremlin!

#20    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 18 March 2002 - 03:49 PM

Note to forum: No patting Gizzie on the head :)

#21    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 18 March 2002 - 08:40 PM

[blue]I don't think Freddy must have been deaf and blind. Airfields are pretty busy places especially during wartime. Accidents happen.

As for the shadows part, I guess I am still trying to figure out why if a ghost is not solid, how it could cast a shadow? Or is it a glimpse of something in another dimension, and if so, does the sun shine there too? This stuff hurts your head...
:s01

I just noticed something on that closeup: the right hand jaw side of Freddy's face looks like a straight line, and slightly odd... which makes me wonder if the tamperers have been out or whether it's just an anomaly...

Also, the closeup looks like Matt Le Blanc peering over the shoulder of Jimmy Steward...
how odd
[/blue]

Do what you want and be what you feel. Because after all, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't 'mind.

Work hard, keep the ceremonies, live peacably, and unite your hearts. – Hopi

Listen to the voice of nature, for it holds treasures for you. – Huron

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears. – Minquass

#22    GIZZIE

GIZZIE

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 March 2002 - 08:52 PM

May I just take you up on something Loon Boy and I'm not "playing" anymore.

Why do you assume a ghost not to be solid?

Ghosts have many many forms.  

Gizzie

Ps I know that accidents happen, and I'm sorry if my sense of humour didn't make you laugh :-/

#23    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• 1,846 posts

Posted 18 March 2002 - 09:19 PM

Actually Loony, just because ghosts might or might not be solid, doesn’t mean that they won’t cast a shadow.  Clouds cast shadows; liquids cast shadows.  :sh

Gizzie, solid ghosts are certainly an interesting idea.  :sk

Tommy

"Superstition created all the gods and angels, all the devils and ghosts, all the witches, demons and goblins, gave us all the augurs, soothsayers and prophets, filled the heavens with signs and wonders, broke the chain of cause and effect, and wrote the history of man in miracles and lies" ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

#24    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 18 March 2002 - 09:26 PM

Thanks for the information Tommy, your scientific knowledge concerning shadows knows no boundaries ;D

#25    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• 1,846 posts

Posted 18 March 2002 - 09:35 PM

No problem Homer.  ;D

I wouldn’t call myself an expert in the field though.  :s04  :sj

"Superstition created all the gods and angels, all the devils and ghosts, all the witches, demons and goblins, gave us all the augurs, soothsayers and prophets, filled the heavens with signs and wonders, broke the chain of cause and effect, and wrote the history of man in miracles and lies" ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

#26    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 18 March 2002 - 09:54 PM

[blue]Well I assume that a ghost is not the actual body of the dead person and therefore not solid like that body. I couldn't say what a ghost was made from, and I don't think anyone could claim to either. Maybe spiritual energy or something, whatever that would be. Electrical possibly?

As for shadows, well I just don't get it.  :s9

And ghosts can pass through solid objects, so therefore are not solid themselves, I guess.

I dunno. Leave me alone.... lol :s5
[/blue]

Do what you want and be what you feel. Because after all, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't 'mind.

#27    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• 1,846 posts

Posted 20 March 2002 - 07:13 PM

I’ve done a little more research of the photo. whistling2.gif

It appears that the whole story originates from Air Marshal Sir Victor Goddard.  He published his story of the photo in 1975. (56 years after the event.)  

However this was not Goddard’s only ‘paranormal’ experience.  In 1935, he claims to have been involved in some kind of time-shifting experience, when flying over Drem Airfield.  He claims to have seen the planes and RAF mechanics as they looked in 1939.

It was he who supposedly coined the word ufology in 1946, when there was an outbreak of UFO sightings.  cool.gif   

http://www.worldofthestrange.com/wots/2000...0-08-14-01a.htm

Tommy      
wink2.gif

Edited by Tommy, 15 August 2003 - 02:12 PM.

#28    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 20 March 2002 - 08:29 PM

[blue]Thanks Tommy for the information.

It certainly adds more details to this puzzle, but instead of debunking the mystery (as I expected) it tends to sway me back to believing that the photograph is of a real ghost.
[/blue]

#29    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 20 March 2002 - 11:01 PM

I agree with Gizzie, about Ghosts sometimes being solid, as i've said before i believe a lot of ghosts are timeslips and so they would have a shadow. Also why shouldn't a ghost have a ghost shadow?  :s04

never take me too seriously

#30    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 21 March 2002 - 06:14 AM

LB,

Funny, and I had the exact opposite reaction when I read the information, imagine that.  :s04

Here's something for anyone to try if they care to. There's an accessory available in Windows called a 'magnifier' (its under the accessibility tab) that you can use to further enlarge the highlighted picture of the ghost. Use a 3 or 4 times magnification and select the 'high contrast' option to view the blowup. The image is strikingly similar to the person next to it, note the shape of the nose, mouth, ear(not very visible, but still), but most importantly the eye - right down to the 'bags' under the eye. PS mentioned the time of exposure, is it possible the man put his cap on just at the beginning of the exposure, slightly changing his position at the same time? Just a thought.

The other thing that bothers me is that this photograph had been widely distributed (well, among the 200 odd people who took a copy of it when it was made available) for so many years, but no one found it strange enough to bring attention to the obvious 'anamoly' until almost 50 years had gone by? Remember, what you are shown is probably 1/2 the photographs true size, that 'ghost' would stand out in a regular sized photo. You'd think it would have made a huge impression on people back then and garnered quite a bit of attention.

Magikman

Gizzie - If you look at the top row and count 4 people from the left side, that is the image that is being enlarged.

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users