Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

RAF Ghost Photograph

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#31    GIZZIE

GIZZIE

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 March 2002 - 10:02 AM

Magikman

Tks for pointing it out to me but I did know that actually :)  I just wanted to see the whole picture, that's all

"The camera never lies".  Just the users of. :s09

Swallows are the dolphins of the sky

#32    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 21 March 2002 - 06:41 PM

[blue]Magikman, it's a good idea, but for that to be correct, the other people in the photo would have had to have remained perfectly motionless, while this guy moved on his own. I think that's fairly unlikely.

As for the ghost looking like the guy he's standing behind, well I have a few problems with that:

-the guy in front has more of a rounded eyebrow

-the ghost has no noticable crease where his cheek meets his lips (laughter line?)

-and if you look closely at their ears, the guy in front has more sticky-outy ears than the ghost, whose ears are closer to his head

As for the photograph not causing a big sensation at the time, remember that the media was not what it is today. Plus, in a time of wars and recessions and general upheaval, ghost pics would more than likely have taken a back seat on people's agendas.

I'm still a believer on this one
[/blue]image

Do what you want and be what you feel. Because after all, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't 'mind.

Work hard, keep the ceremonies, live peacably, and unite your hearts. – Hopi

Listen to the voice of nature, for it holds treasures for you. – Huron

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears. – Minquass

#33    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 21 March 2002 - 07:03 PM

With the additional info, I agree with Magik on this.  The fact that he is more ‘paranormal’ prone seems to suggest to me that this might be some sort of elaborate hoax.  :sf

Also, I couldn’t find the complete photo anywhere.  ???

And thanks Magik, the magnifier successfully managed to crash my computer on both attempts.  :s04

Tommy
:s8
(can I change my vote?) :sd

"Superstition created all the gods and angels, all the devils and ghosts, all the witches, demons and goblins, gave us all the augurs, soothsayers and prophets, filled the heavens with signs and wonders, broke the chain of cause and effect, and wrote the history of man in miracles and lies" ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

#34    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 21 March 2002 - 08:57 PM

[blue]Playing devil's advocate here for a moment, why should an interest in the paranormal discredit someone's claims? If, for example, I posted a photograph of a ghost on this forum which I had taken myself, would my prior interest in ghosts mean that my photo is suspect?
[/blue]

Do what you want and be what you feel. Because after all, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't 'mind.

#35    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• 1,846 posts

Posted 21 March 2002 - 10:31 PM

lol Loony, if YOU did it, then it might well be suspect!  :sd  :s04

I guess the fact that there are so many fraudsters and con artists out there, you just have to be careful who and what to believe.

If the photo is real, I’m amazed the amount of detail the enlargement contains, because for some of the people on the photo (in comparison to the smaller Freddy), I can barely make out distinguishable facial features.  ???

An “interest” in the paranormal wouldn’t/doesn’t necessarily discredit anyone’s claims; it’s when you start saying “I was there” “That happened to me” that people would start asking questions concerning the validity of your claims.  (not that it matters what others think of what you know you saw)  :s09

Has anyone else from the squadron actually come forward to verify if the ghostly figure was genuine? Also, stories get distorted through the years, and so how sound is Sir Goddard’s story?  

Eg…From what you found out, the photo was taken in 1917.  Where I got the information from, it was taken in 1919.  Your source says it was 3 days after death; mine said it was 2 days.  Now 1 day might not make a big difference, but 2 years might.

In answer to your question, I don’t know. My initial reaction from reading all his ‘experiences’ was that he was just another selectively hallucinating crackpot, :sg seeing what he wanted to see, or to be remembered for what he says he saw.  Is there ANY truth in it? Who knows… :-/

Enough rambling from me  :s04

"Superstition created all the gods and angels, all the devils and ghosts, all the witches, demons and goblins, gave us all the augurs, soothsayers and prophets, filled the heavens with signs and wonders, broke the chain of cause and effect, and wrote the history of man in miracles and lies" ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

#36    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 22 March 2002 - 05:50 AM

LB,

Again, I guess each one will have their different perception of what they 'see', it was too eerily similar in appearance to me to discount the possibility.  :s9

Tommy was pretty much spot on in his post, the photo loses quite a bit of credibility given the 'source'. His paranormal 'experiences' border on the absurd and incredible, all in all, sensational stories sure to inspire huge sales of his 'book'. Tommy, the article you linked mentions confirmation from several members of the maintenance group in the photo as to the identity of the 'ghost', but Goddard is also the source for that tidbit of information in his book 'FLIGHT TOWARDS REALITY', convenient, hey?

I also wonder, LB, about your suggestion that this photograph would not have inspired much attention. The late 1800's - early 1900's saw great interest and attention to anything paranormal. Mediums, spiritualists, mystics and ghost's were all the rage back then. Remember Harry Houdini and his debunking of mediums? (and his precarious friendship with Sir Aurthur Conan Doyle and their widely divergent views of the paranormal?) Charles Fort was hugely popular back then and sold millions of his books. There was also the infamous Alistair Crowley and the devoted following that he had. You're correct about the media not being what it is now, which would have made any release of that photograph back then a sure bet to generate ungodly amounts of money. I find it hard to believe anyone would have allowed that sort of opportunity to pass them by.

Magikman  :sg

* Tommy - and here I thought I had the crappy version of Windows.  :s04

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#37    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 22 March 2002 - 10:22 PM

[blue]I take your point about the interest in the paranormal at the time, which I had not considered. Still, some things don't get the attention they deserve sometimes.

As for claims of 'I was there' etc, its likely to happen when someone is interested in something. If you like something, you gravitate towards it. If you like the paranormal, you are more likely to be somewhere where something paranormal happens - haunted house for example.

I try to be logical in my treatment of subjects, and I also do not allow the surrounding hubbub to distract me from the real bones of the subject. I consider the facts or presented facts in isolation of their source. Then I consider them in conjunction with them.

In this case, I'm like Fox Mulder - I want to believe...

image[/blue]

#38    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 23 March 2002 - 12:00 AM

To be honest i don't see the similiarities between the "ghost" and the man it is behind, even up close.

No strike that from the books, i think it's just the shadow around the eyes that is throwing me, his bone structure is pretty close to the other's

Unsure now.
:-/

never take me too seriously

#39    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 23 March 2002 - 07:05 PM

[blue]Take a look at the distance between the top of the ear and the side of the head on each face.... I see a difference.

image[/blue]

#40    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 07 April 2002 - 01:52 AM

Still unsure, but about the ears - to me the 'ghost' face doesn't have much of an ear - granted there is a blur but i think that is all it is. If that is his ear then the poor man could of flown without the aid of a biplane!. No, i think that the different tilt of each of the faces would account for that difference.

Still unsure tho.

never take me too seriously

#41    MostlyGhostly

MostlyGhostly

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 04:49 PM

Due to the way that the person died, it could be thought that maybe he didn't realise he was dead and so tried to get into the group photo getting a little annoyed that nobody was giving him any room.

I believe that this photograph is authentic smile.gif                                                

ParaPortal - A collection of the BEST ghost photos I have ever taken.

#42    Guest_Davero_*

Guest_Davero_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2003 - 05:33 AM

I guess the propeller accident would explain why we only see his head. lol laugh.gif                                                

#43    Guest_SEAN_*

Guest_SEAN_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2003 - 12:27 PM

biggrin.gif   THERS THAT ,IRISH, HIDE AND SEEK CHAMPION, AGAIN.                                                

#44    shorty

shorty

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

• homicidal

Posted 10 February 2003 - 12:47 AM

i say angel, because that might be his friend that he's standing by.

user posted image                                                

Johnny The Homicidal Maniac By Jhonen Vasquez

#45    im_too_scared

im_too_scared

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 10:20 PM

awh, that really upset me!its not scary like i (obviously) thought it would be, it was nice that he was there as it was in a way like he was still being recognised for being in the RAF! smile.gif                                                

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users