Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Criss Angel levitation explained

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#46    digital_sin

digital_sin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:16 AM

Want proof that he's a phoney (other than 100 other facts)

watch this video and pause it at 3:21

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlIwcVAxZsU

and also this one and pause it at 1:48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ythagqGQI

it's the same asian chick, youtube quality isn't that great but feel free to check the original dvd footage (confirmed) She's even wearing the same white watch/wrist band on her left hand.

the crowd was in on it and digital compositing was used to remove whatever mechanism that keeps him above the ground.

case closed

Edited by digital_sin, 16 June 2007 - 01:28 AM.

#47    TBoneMinister

TBoneMinister

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 78 posts

• "Two boards and three nails built a bridge to a gap you could never fill...."

Posted 23 June 2007 - 07:13 AM

Well not THE explanation, but after watching the levation tricks on video performed by Criss Angel I came up with a few theories:

First of all it is important to divide the levitation tricks into different categories, because they are quite different:
1) levitating a few feet in front of stairs or chairs, while turning his back to the audience.
2) levitating leaning backwards with one foot on the ground
3) levitating a bystander in midair
4) levitating 5 feet in the air with nothing around him.
5) levitating 5 feet in the air with an object behind him

Theories:
1) There is always an object in front of him to which he "levitates", he always has his back turned to the camera/audience. Sometimes one or two people seem to be next to him or in front of him which would have to be in on the trick. He is wearing a fake hollow, bendable leg on one leg which is attached to his shoe. The fake leg fits into the back half of his real leg. He then could just bend his knee, while putting his leg up and step up to the object in front of him. The view from behind would be two legs and two shoes next to eachother. When he has raised his other leg and the fake leg to the chair, the fake leg and shoe should fit into his real leg again. This way he can just turn around and show there are no other gimmicks present, the fake leg is reset and the trick can be performed again. His trousers would have to be cut or flexible to be able to put out a leg while his trousers at the back remain straight. In the video in the cafeteria you can actually see him make a stange move with his right leg slightly bending it, as if the fake leg didn't come of straight away and snaps back. This trick would require to lean slightly forward to keep balance, which is clearly visible when he does the trick on the escalator. When he perfoms this trick on the sidewalk -without an object in front of him- you can clearly see that it is suddenly necessary to lean sharply forward while balancing on one leg. The man passing by who has to see his leg in front of him, is clearly not impressed, from his standpoint, he propably doesn't even realize that someone is performing a trick, he just sees a man balancing on one leg.

With this trick you have to ask yourself two questions:
-Why not just levitate and land on the ground again? Because that would make it suspicous that an object in front of him is necessary. He cleverly has an excuse that a chair needs to be in front of him, because he is going to land on it, classical misdirecting of a magician.
-Why not perform the trick without an object in front of him? Well because it wouldn't be possible then, otherwise he would have shown it, because that would make the trick MUCH more impressive. When he does it on the sidewalk without an object, there is no audience behind him, just the camera from slightly above, because people standing directly behind would be able to see it.

2) In the video I saw he clearly stamps his right foot, and could insert a metal pole hidden in his right leg into the ground, the location seems to be selected by himself, so perhaps a prepared ground is needed with a hollow pipe. When he bends backwards while bending his knees, a metal mechanism hidden in his leg and back bends with him but locks at 90 degrees. He is then able to straighten out his other leg. Why not straighten out both legs at the same time? Or first one leg and then the other? This seems a giveaway to me. He also did this trick with a bystander which would have to be in on his trick. Only this time she has two legs on the ground when bend backwards and he shows that there is nothing under her back. Then he also straightens her legs but doesn't show again there still isn't anything under her back. So this would mean that she has the pole in one of her legs when he shows there is nothing under her back, but it is removed after another pole has risen from the ground (or is pulled down from her back) to support her back and connect with the metal plate she is wearing there. Conveniently he immediately lowers her which could be the pole in the ground simply descending. At this time the camera doesn't give a clear view of what's under her anymore. Again classical misdirection by a magician, first show that there isn't anything at a certain place, so that later when there is something there the audience is just tricked into thinking it can't be because it wasn't there before.

You have to ask yourself why the straightening of both legs isn't performed when he is levitating himself, surely the trick would be much more impressive if he would do that instead of just straightening just one leg? The answer is that it requires another person to make sure the pole from the ground connects with the back of the woman. In the video there are cuts and a shot where he may have touched the lower of her back may have been left out.

3) There is no other possiblity than that the whole crowd is in on the trick. The crowd looks unnaturally disciplined forming an ordered circle around him, no other people seem to walk by or join the crowd, this is in the middle of the streets of Las Vegas right? She simple hangs from a cable  from above. He makes a point of having the camera looking up before the trick but neglects this when she is actually levitating. This trick is always performed outside, why not do this trick in the cafetaria? Because a crane would have a hard time fitting into there.

4) A cable from above, no other possibility, usually there are no bystanders so that is just a camera trick. The cases where he did this with crowds (which are always just a few people), but with the wall behind him, could only happen if the crowd was in on the trick.

5) This is the video with the plants behind him performed for just 1 bystander. The plants could conceal a contraption which connects with a metal plate in his back. It is suspicous that he always walks up to the camera immedtaily after landing on the ground, perhaps allowing something behind him to quickly hide itself. This trick could also be with just a cable and a bystander who is in on the trick, it is suspicous that there isn't a crowd.

Well just theories, but it's not impossible to reach the same results with it.

THere is a trick he performs which u miss, however. There is one where he levitates a frisbee of the ground while playing and "throws" it to a fellow companion....not much to explain it. Forgot the link, but try Google.
Have Fun!

#48    methodcomptech

methodcomptech

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:58 PM

see, before i thought this was a trick to, but, now i am not so sure.  i was watching the show last night, and he freakin' levitated over a pretty big tree on the golf course.  it was insane.

edit***

@digital_sin
the asian chick actually looks different to me, and also, HE TAKES HIS SHOE OFF!!!  there is nothing holding him up.

Edited by methodcomptech, 11 July 2007 - 04:04 PM.

#49    SoldierOfPeace

SoldierOfPeace

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:47 PM

Well however good it looks, Criss really isn't much different than other street performers and illusionists. He's amazingly skilled, that really can't be fairly disputed. But I don't think for any second that he's actually levitating.

#50    stang56k

stang56k

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:09 PM

Did anyone see him levitaite inside the luxor? Ya how the hell did he do that?  He walks under metal structure thing and some random guy pats his back... so obviously theres no cords.

#51    SoldierOfPeace

SoldierOfPeace

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:23 PM

That was ridiculous. I honestly have no idea how he did it at all. He was in the middle of the hotel.

#52    Alisha

Alisha

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:15 AM

I'm not one of those people who will either try to make you believe or to not believe (since I hate it when people try to change my thoughts on things), but my theory is that when Criss is standing near an object such as a chair, facing away from the audience and camera, and wearing stretchy black pants, that he is not magically levitating, but I do think that when he is facing the camera and audience and there is nothing around him that he can step on, that he is actually doing it.  I don't think that he could have successfully hovered over the Luxor's light if he were faking especially with the light illumianting him, and anything around him, completely.  Hanging on a rope or string from a helicopter or whatever would have made it completely obvious and he would have been swinging around unable to stay still with those winds.  If he were standing on anything, it would have to have been thick and with a kind of platform which would have also been noticable.  Again, just my opinons.  No flames please, I'm a major Loyal to Criss Angel and I believe that magick is real. But I do have a question that has been nagging me lately.  I've noticed that after most of his levitations where he is facing us and away from anything that could help him hover, when he comes back down, he does this dramatic thing where he lifts his legs, one after the other, as if stretching them or something....  Does anyone have an opinion as to why he does this?

Edited by Alisha, 15 July 2007 - 07:21 AM.

#53    Alisha

Alisha

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:27 AM

So what?  Loyals can't be stalkers?  I'd follow him around to every stunt if I could.  The asian woman does kinda look the same but one's hair is shorter than the other, and i don't think that the wrist jewlery exactly means its the same person.  That's just me though...  happy.gif

Edited by Alisha, 15 July 2007 - 07:33 AM.

#54    teikyo303

teikyo303

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:18 PM

Criss Angel is an illusion artist. He does not use magic. He pretends that he does, but he really does't. He's a hoax. I believe that you can use real magic to make yourself and anything else levitate. It is possible. But Criss Angel is not using magic. He's using talented actors, professional props and special effects. If he did use real magic, the TV show would not be concentrated on his feats, but rather how he does his feats. Magic just does't click that fast in people's minds. Its an illusion.

Chris Angel is not a hoax the way you make him sound. First off, magic is simply explained to be unexplained science. Second, magic in the sense you seem to accept simply isn't logical by any means. I would like to believe it exists, but don't see how it could. It would take the intervention of a higher power, and that wouldn't be magic, would it? Third, Chris never says he is using real magic. He almost always says he blends reality with illusion, so how does that make him a hoax? His "magic" could be considered to be a hoax, but not he himself. He is the a genuine article: an illusionist.

#55    braptalk

braptalk

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:09 AM

Your check is in the post.

Ahh..my sexy MK,
Sadly a late post..but nice to see we have somefin' in common ...besides our love for zombies and kinky things..hehehhe

#56    braptalk

braptalk

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:13 AM

Damn.. I need shades for that comment..could ya lower the size of your fonts.. it's like your yelling really LOUD... I was of course talking about Alishas' comment...

Edited by braptalk, 01 August 2007 - 07:23 AM.

#57    Stygean Hugh

Stygean Hugh

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

• You know, they say when you talk to God it's prayer, but when God talks to you, it's schizophrenia.

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:38 AM

4) A cable from above, no other possibility, usually there are no bystanders so that is just a camera trick. The cases where he did this with crowds (which are always just a few people), but with the wall behind him, could only happen if the crowd was in on the trick.

What about the Levitation over the Luxor? That was a huge crowd. And when he levitated from the top of the hotel inside, to the floor?

The truth is out there.

#58    Stygean Hugh

Stygean Hugh

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

• You know, they say when you talk to God it's prayer, but when God talks to you, it's schizophrenia.

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:56 AM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xRaRbMixraE

The truth is out there.

#59    Rustymetal

Rustymetal

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 02:39 AM

Chris Angel is not a hoax the way you make him sound. First off, magic is simply explained to be unexplained science. Second, magic in the sense you seem to accept simply isn't logical by any means. I would like to believe it exists, but don't see how it could. It would take the intervention of a higher power, and that wouldn't be magic, would it? Third, Chris never says he is using real magic. He almost always says he blends reality with illusion, so how does that make him a hoax? His "magic" could be considered to be a hoax, but not he himself. He is the a genuine article: an illusionist.

Criss Angel is a illusionist. That being said you can't believe most any of his gimmicky magic tricks he does. But when it comes to his levitation, I like to think he is probably doing it. Not the illusion ones, where he steps on the box. But when he levitates over a golf course out into a field of trees, or from one building onto another, in a parking lot he levitates up to the streetlight and back down, when he levitated at the luxor. Those seem pretty real to me. And I remember from the luxor episode that he said he was only using his mind, body, and spirit to perform his levitation. I believe he also claimed he began practicing his levitation as a child.

As far as magic? Magic is a story book term for what were dealing with here. Fact of the matter is, you only use 10% of your brain. Every human has the ability to levitate, bend spoons, telekinesis/psychokinesis, create energy balls, ect. All these things your are able to learn, just like you learned to walk, talk, breath, except for the fact you have completely ignored them from day 1. All you have to do is believe, and practice and you can do it. Meditation is key to any psychic ability because you must learn to clear your mind completely and focus on what you want to do. Meditation also helps you to re-program your sub-consciousness mind, because that is what really has control of your entire brain. I'm not religious but even Jesus said you could do anything he could do long as you believed. I mean come on guys, we have consciousness, explain that one? how come no other animal is consciousness like we are, not to mention that the human brain is still basically a mystery.

Anyway, all I wanted to do is make sure you people understand that Criss's levitation also has the option of being real.

#60    Phoenixxx

Phoenixxx

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:03 AM

SPOILER ALERT!

Why use theories when the video on HOW TO DO IT is on the internet?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6616406655978150142

I kind of makes the trick cheap once you know how to do it :/ Ignorance really is bliss sometimes, at least with magic. Sorry if I ruined the experience for anyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users