Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Coelacanth threatened by fishing fleets

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 09 January 2006 - 02:47 PM

Image credit: Todd Huffman
Image credit: Todd Huffman
After surviving for millions of years, the coelacanth is threatened by commercial fishing fleets. It is not every day that you come face to face with a dinosaur dating back 400 million years, but for the fishermen in Kigombe on Tanzania's northern coast it has become almost routine.

In the middle of Kigombe, a village of simple huts on this breathtaking edge of the Indian Ocean, a young fisherman stood proudly before a large green plastic container.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: The Guardian

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    ThunderBirds

ThunderBirds

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 156 posts

• I LOVE men in tights:D

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:29 PM

NO! Why do people do this? Why catch these wonderful fish? We MUST save this prehistoric fish! Long live Coelacanth!

~~**I'm a kitty kat with wings**~~

#3    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:35 PM

NO! Why do people do this? Why catch these wonderful fish? We MUST save this prehistoric fish! Long live Coelacanth!

It's their living... hmm.gif I do agree we should do more to save the fish.

I do wonder how scientists esimate the number of fish per species in that area though.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#4    Usteing

Usteing

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:21 PM

This fish should be preserved for scientific study. But of course, uneducated villagers wouldn't know about that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users