Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

NASA gambles all for a shot at the Moon

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 12 January 2006 - 03:03 PM

news icon rFor the past three years, NASA's launch pads at the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida, have mostly sat idle, with technicians working to battle corrosion rather than prepare space shuttles for blast-off. And later this year, when one of the launch pads is shut down for routine maintenance, it may never return to service.

To save $30 million, NASA managers are recommending that the agency scale back to just one launch pad for the remaining shuttle flights.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Eurekalert.org

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    AztecInca

AztecInca

Martian

• 9,013 posts

• All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good people to do nothing.

Posted 13 January 2006 - 02:22 AM

What's more, Griffin has to do it with scant assurance that he will actually get the money to implement the vision; the bill that became law last month does not guarantee funds.

NASA has been on the short end of the stick for a long long time now and sadly even with Bush`s vision and bill that wont be changing anytime soon. Maybe if China and the European space agency both come at with plans to get to the moon before the Americans, Nasa will get the funding they need. A peaceful space race is definately something that wouldn`t go amiss in my opinion.

#3    ROGER

ROGER

Government Agent

• 3,492 posts

• Sticks and stone didnt break my bone,
    But old age is starting to Hurt me!

Posted 13 January 2006 - 09:12 PM

In an Idealistic world we could slash the Military and Defence spending by 1/3 and have plenty of funds for space exploration. But in today's troubling times this wont happen. I do hope the Private Sector can come up with a cheaper alternative to reaching Low Earth Orbit. Then the Government can purchase services instead of shouldering the entire expense on thier own.

The world can't end in 2012, I have a yogurt that expires in 2013.

#4    Blizno

Blizno

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

• Attack the folly, not the fool.
    Question Everything.

Posted 25 January 2006 - 07:21 PM

In an Idealistic world we could slash the Military and Defence spending by 1/3 and have plenty of funds for space exploration. But in today's troubling times this wont happen. I do hope the Private Sector can come up with a cheaper alternative to reaching Low Earth Orbit. Then the Government can purchase services instead of shouldering the entire expense on thier own.

Agreed.  Finding a way to make profits from space flight would get private companies in space and capitalism could work its magic.  Public funding of space exploration has done amazing stuff but it's time for business to get out there.

The universe is glorious beyond human comprehension.  Why add spirits and gods?  Just because we don't know how something happened doesn't mean that a god is needed to explain it.

#5    AztecInca

AztecInca

Martian

• 9,013 posts

• All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good people to do nothing.

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:38 PM

^Indeed. I have been a great supporter of the privitisation of space travel and exploration for quite awhile now. Governments just cannot do it alone anymore. The expenses are just  too great with there really being no financial return and little public support.
There will have to be very extensive and thorough regulation and monitoting of the private sector though when they do start to get up there. We dont want a company bringing in a large asteroid into Earth orbit and accidentally sending it straight into the planet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users