Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

is it possible

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16    Ned Tunacao

Ned Tunacao

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 137 posts

• An Old Irish Phrase Says: If you expect a kick in the nuts and get a punch in the mouth, you should consider yourself lucky.

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:50 AM

I think neanderthals were simply out hunted. They couldn't compete when it came to hunting.

That doesn't make too much sense when Neanderthals were supposedly stronger and more suited to living a wild life than Homo Sapiens.  Didn't they have a bigger brain, leading to more physical skill?  Or was there just more Homo Sapiens?

Ach, mio Christo, I don't understand much of this.

#17    Rykster

Keep thy religion to thyself.

• Banned
  • 2,132 posts
  • Location:Screaming through the universe on a pale blue dot...Wheee!

• I debunk you not out of hostility, but rather in search of the truth...

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:32 PM

For anyone interested in neandertals and their culture, I strongly suggest reading the Earth's Children series.  It is composed of five books written over twenty years of the author's life.  The series, written by Jean Auel chronicles the life of an orphaned cro-magnon woman named Ayla raised by neandertals as she begins her life in prehistoric Europe.

The titles of the books (published from 1980-2000) are:
  1. Clan of the Cave Bear
  2. Valley of Horses
  3. Mammoth Hunters
  4. Plains of passage
  5. The Shelter of Stone
In the series, Auel describes in vivid imagery, the lives, trials and triumphs of neandertal and cro-magnon societies.  One of the more compelling assertions Auel makes is that neandertal's brain was large in part because their memories were passed on at birth, and thus only needed to be remembered.

This is an extraordinary series.  Reading it is one of those magical experiences in which the reader develops a bond with the characters.

For those interested in another site about neandertals, also click here.

Edited by Rykster, 29 March 2006 - 12:33 PM.

Posted Image

Resistance is futile!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users