Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Quick Time Travel Thought

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1    Delacorr

Delacorr

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 241 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 03:02 PM

If we were to invent time travel in the future so that you could go backwards in time, wouldn't we be seeing things from the future already?...just a thought...

#2    Phantom

Phantom

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

• Bad Ass Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 31 August 2003 - 04:07 PM

This has actually been used as an argument that time travel is impossible.

It stated that if time travel would be possible in the future, timetravellers from that era would have already visited us in this time.

And who knows, maybe they did. Maybe history has been changed on some points to prevent bad things to happen.

Delacorr, what "things from the future" are you referring to?

UFO's?
Superconductors?
Cloned sheep?
Paperthin monitors?

Well, maybe we have seen some.. who's to tell?  wink2.gif

Edited by Phantom, 31 August 2003 - 04:11 PM.

"Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability..." - Agent Smith
"Apfelschnaps, it's more than skindeep" - Kismit
"OK, don't quote me anymore..." - Mentalcase

#3    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,906 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 05:22 PM

If people were to go back in time and alter the timeline, no one would notice other than the people that went back and altered it, but when they went back into there own time perio, nothing would have happened for them, as they would have started a new alternate history branch in phase space.

"We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences."
David Gemmell

#4    spyro_86

spyro_86

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

• If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Posted 31 August 2003 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (Althalus @ Aug 31 2003, 05:22 PM)
If people were to go back in time and alter the timeline, no one would notice other than the people that went back and altered it, but when they went back into there own time perio, nothing would have happened for them, as they would have started a new alternate history branch in phase space.

yup

The moment you are born you begin to die. The lesson is life is unfair.

#5    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,906 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for agreeing wih me, for a minute there, I was expecting a string of questions on what is phase space, (watch 'em come now).

Just a quick word tho Spyro, it is generally not done that you quote an entire reply, only to put one word as an answer, tr and limit the quote to what you need to put to get your point across. Thank You.

"We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences."
David Gemmell

#6    Phantom

Phantom

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

• Bad Ass Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 31 August 2003 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (Althalus @ Aug 31 2003, 10:43 PM)
limit the quote to what you need to put to get your point across. Thank You.

Also on behalf of me...

What is Phase Space?

"Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability..." - Agent Smith
"Apfelschnaps, it's more than skindeep" - Kismit
"OK, don't quote me anymore..." - Mentalcase

#7    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,906 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 09:04 PM

my, wonder why you asked?   tongue.gif

Phase space is very simply, the space into which the different branches of dimensions go into when they are created, through the choice making that we do all the while, for instance we make a choice about whether to go out or not, in this dimension we stay in, but another dimension will have been created in phase space in which we went out then.  Phase space is all the possibilities and the place where the exist rolled into one.  

David Gemmell

#8    shelby

shelby

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 49 posts

• True love is found in your heart, look there and you will always be happy.

Posted 01 September 2003 - 09:28 AM

If you could please explain something to me,please.  I was under the impression that even if time travel was possible, that you could not have phase space ( or time lines) rolled into one, that one would be broken and "connected" to the new one that has altered the time.

Just a thought.. thanks for any help or "education"  

I can love you like that, I can make you my world, move heaven and earth if you were my girl...(John Michael Montgomery)

#9    God18

God18

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 10:42 AM

If you think deeply about the multiple dimmensions theory, couldn't you then say that everything exsisted everywhere always, time is just a course through it all?

#10    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 11:45 AM

shelby,
Traveling backwards in time is only a theory, of course, but even if it were possible, the specifics of traveling backwards in time would still be theoretical until it is achieved. Meaning, phase space is only a theory, even if backwards time travel is a reality. At least for now wacko.gif
In a universe of seemingly infinite possibilities, there seems to be an almost infinite number of theories as well.

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#11    shelby

shelby

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 49 posts

• True love is found in your heart, look there and you will always be happy.

Posted 08 September 2003 - 03:58 AM

Thank you Homer, and I know that is is still only a theory. It would be intresting to see if it is possible to be done and if possible how far back we would be able to go. But I do have to wonder what it would do to the "time lines" that have been created and the course if the time spaces,, and if it would be possible for them to overlap each other and the such

But then again.. in a Back to the Future  kinda of way... I would like to try it cool.gif  

I can love you like that, I can make you my world, move heaven and earth if you were my girl...(John Michael Montgomery)

#12    Unexplainable

Unexplainable

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 97 posts

• "Expect the Unexpected"

Posted 02 December 2003 - 02:12 AM

QUOTE (Phantom @ Aug 31 2003, 03:07 PM)
This has actually been used as an argument that time travel is impossible.

It stated that if time travel would be possible in the future, timetravellers from that era would have already visited us in this time.

And who knows, maybe they did. Maybe history has been changed on some points to prevent bad things to happen.

Delacorr, what "things from the future" are you referring to?

UFO's?
Superconductors?
Cloned sheep?
Paperthin monitors?

Well, maybe we have seen some.. who's to tell? wink2.gif

i like ur thinking phantom. cool.gif

anyway, who's to say that no one has ever time-travelled in the 1st place? if a particular person went on travelling in another time period, he/she would be absent from our time, therefore, we could never know if anyone else is indeed an 'alien' from another time.

#13    zygon

zygon

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

• dead men tell no tales

Posted 03 December 2003 - 07:56 PM

one theory that exists is the grandfather theory, i assume most of you have heard of this so i wont go into much detail. if you went back and killed your grandfather then you wouldnt be alive to go back and kill him. this argues that time travel could be impossible due to the alterations you could make that would change history...or rather the future, which in your real time would be history.
i'm sure i missed something out lol.

if it was possible to time travel, imagine meeting yourself! you could stop yourself from doing something! cool! although maybe it would have some wierd effect. im sure there was another theory about this one, oh well

My site!
--dont steal...the government doesnt like the competition.
save time, assume i know everything
if you're 555 then im 666
Posted Image

#14    Unexplainable

Unexplainable

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 97 posts

• "Expect the Unexpected"

Posted 04 December 2003 - 02:22 AM

zygon i know wat u mean, but 1 question: how do u know u can actually change things when going bac in time? how do u know ur not just a spectator?
(sorry my 1 question turned in2 two. tongue.gif)

#15    swj20

swj20

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 08:01 AM

indeed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users