Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Polybius

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1    thepsychoticseaotter

thepsychoticseaotter

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

• Ice, Snow, Blood and Iron!!!

Posted 31 August 2003 - 06:37 PM

Heres the link:

http://coinop.org/g.aspx/103223/Polybius.html

Can't say I ahve ever heard of this one before. Snopes has "debunked" it as a UL but, I'm not so sure. Something gives me an odd feeling. I will do more research as time permits.

Hope this was the right thread to post this in.  

Ravens KeepA forum for Classic D&D, AD&D and the upcoming Castles and Crusades.

Soon it's over, all the dwarfs defeated
The silence of the caverns stand still
Orcs took the command of the caves and depths
The darklord has reached his will ---Battlelore

Fill my mug, I just want to forget
All the troubles and fighting
And the ghosts in my head --Battlelore

#2    spyro_86

spyro_86

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

• If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Posted 31 August 2003 - 07:56 PM

I'm going to search kazaa and the others for this game. Even if it was debunked just to see it.

The moment you are born you begin to die. The lesson is life is unfair.

#3    spyro_86

spyro_86

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

• If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Posted 31 August 2003 - 08:08 PM

Okay, I checked 10 different things like kazaa and e mule and found nothing. It doesn't seem to exist as a rom anywhere that I know of.

The moment you are born you begin to die. The lesson is life is unfair.

#4    Aslan

Aslan

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

• Scariest Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 31 August 2003 - 08:51 PM

That's a shock, isn't it. Still, thanks for trying.

#5    Uranium_235

Uranium_235

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 02:42 AM

heh....i dont believe it, why would they test this new technology in arcades in the public, i know the US government has done some bad things to its people but i think they would find a more secluded location to test this. wink2.gif  

#6    thepsychoticseaotter

thepsychoticseaotter

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 02:46 AM

I just thought it odd to begin with. I have not had time to search much with my job getting demanding but Hopefully will get time to this weekend.

I still think something may be up with this. My gut won't let it go and thats always been a good sign for me. Something just keeps nagging me about it.

true or not it is interesting nonetheless.  

#7    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 05 September 2003 - 01:56 PM

It's possible.

Nervous system manipulation by electromagnetic fields from monitors
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?...6148&RS=6506148

Apparatus and method for remotely monitoring and altering brain waves
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?...1134&RS=3951134

These are some pretty old patents... technology's probably gotten a little better since these were issued...

#8    thepsychoticseaotter

thepsychoticseaotter

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 11:01 PM

After doing a web search on the subject I came up with very little outside of my original link. HEH HEH I even come across my first post on it.

I did find some interesting things out though:

1. Polybius was the name of a greek statesman who, among other things invented cryptograms interesting that this name was chosen for the game, given that it is not a commonly taught story.

2. In a separate search I found out that game companies did used to just do initial product testing in suburbs and small communities. Of course this is in the early days of videogames and at that time almost anyone could build one. There were alot of homebrew games out that died early.

3. Videogame companies are notorious for covering up failures or blunders. The best example is the former Urban legend that Atari buried unsold ET carts in mexico. Turns out it was true.  

So what does it all mean? Well my theory is: If polybius existed it never got out of testing. The rumored amiesia spells and nightmares was probably a reaction akin to the epileptic siezures that some games cause to sensitive individuals.

It was possibly tested in the Portland area not suburb but did not do well. Then when pulled the sinister rumors began (remember this was a time whem President Reagan was talking of alien invasion).

The "mib's" who collected the Info was probably designers getting data on coin hits and how long it was played (if that was possible back then). All in all the game could have exisited but was a failed product.

As to the rom and it's existance: I believe it was a fake just like the screen shot running around on the net or it was taken from a damged board that would describe the noise and how it only plays for a short time.

Anyhoo just my two cents.

Oh by the way I heard One comment that intrigued me, Polybius could be a rumor to back  Blair Witch type movie that will come out in a year or so.....

#9    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 09:15 AM

Couldn't find too much more about this game.  THIS PAGE has a nice screen shot of the title.  cool.gif  

Attached Images

• Polybius.gif

"Superstition created all the gods and angels, all the devils and ghosts, all the witches, demons and goblins, gave us all the augurs, soothsayers and prophets, filled the heavens with signs and wonders, broke the chain of cause and effect, and wrote the history of man in miracles and lies" ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

#10    Joe Nada

Joe Nada

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE (thepsychoticseaotter @ Sep 5 2003, 11:01 PM)
In a separate search I found out that game companies did used to just do initial product testing in suburbs and small communities. Of course this is in the early days of videogames and at that time almost anyone could build one. There were alot of homebrew games out that died early.

Videogame companies are notorious for covering up failures or blunders. The best example is the former Urban legend that Atari buried unsold ET carts in mexico. Turns out it was true. 

So what does it all mean? Well my theory is: If polybius existed it never got out of testing. The rumored amiesia spells and nightmares was probably a reaction akin to the epileptic siezures that some games cause to sensitive individuals.

It was possibly tested in the Portland area not suburb but did not do well. Then when pulled the sinister rumors began (remember this was a time whem President Reagan was talking of alien invasion).

The "mib's" who collected the Info was probably designers getting data on coin hits and how long it was played (if that was possible back then). All in all the game could have exisited but was a failed product.

As to the rom and it's existance: I believe it was a fake just like the screen shot running around on the net or it was taken from a damged board that would describe the noise and how it only plays for a short time.....

#11    Kryso

Kryso

Always watching...

• 3,943 posts

• Truth titillates the imagination far less than fiction.

Posted 02 October 2003 - 11:43 PM

If you want to know more about the game, simply read through, and email one of the address at the bottom of the screen, (from the link) were a group of people chat about seeing, having and playing the game, even having screen shots! See if they have more information. Their emails are right there! huh.gif  

#12    thepsychoticseaotter

thepsychoticseaotter

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 11:45 PM

Joe...EXCELLENT links buddy!!!

I really was interested in the last one. After reading that the whole thing took on a new twist.

As for the post you quoted it was derived from what I felt was the most logical and possible explination of the rumors attached to it. Some of the history come from being a child of the 80's and living through a good chunk of the "videogame revolution".

Lookslike there still may be some life left in this discussion..... tongue.gif  

#13    AnonC

AnonC

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 10:35 PM

I know this is a very exciting topic for those of you who are into conspiracy issues, but I would highly recommend that you abandon your search for information regarding the subject of this conversation. I say this in your own best interest. Those of you who have come too close to the issue have had to be taken care of unfortunately. I would encourage you not to pursue an action that would very likely endanger your own life and possibly the lives of those you love. I have been instructed to post this to any site that is engaged in active discussion regarding the subject. If possible, alert your friends who may be searching as well. Thank you for your time.

#14    thepsychoticseaotter

thepsychoticseaotter

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE (AnonC @ Oct 10 2003, 05:35 PM)
I know this is a very exciting topic for those of you who are into conspiracy issues, but I would highly recommend that you abandon your search for information regarding the subject of this conversation. I say this in your own best interest. Those of you who have come too close to the issue have had to be taken care of unfortunately. I would encourage you not to pursue an action that would very likely endanger your own life and possibly the lives of those you love. I have been instructed to post this to any site that is engaged in active discussion regarding the subject. If possible, alert your friends who may be searching as well. Thank you for your time.

Riiiight.....LMFAO  grin2.gif  

#15    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 10 October 2003 - 11:02 PM

You can't be too concerned about secrecy, posting using a non-proxied internet provider the way you are. They also have a very limited address range, finding your true identity wouldn't be very difficult.

Kids today, just don't have a clue, do ya? tongue.gif

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users