Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Can we travel faster than light?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16    GIZZIE

GIZZIE

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 March 2002 - 10:10 PM

you way over my head brainy guys have lost me somewhat  -can't you speak idiot language?  No wonder Scientists can baffle!!!

I can't accept that light has no mass or particles- if you shine a beam of light you can see particles - ok, they may not belong to the actual light being shone but there are particles, maybe not the air itself, but "bits" which attach themselves (I'm seriously out of my depth here!!) and which "float around".  you can weigh, for example a body which has mass and also attached particles.  Mass means "solid" yes?  No, it can't because water has mass..................................????

Please explain - this is VERY interesting!

Swallows are the dolphins of the sky

#17    crosis

crosis

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 27 March 2002 - 10:13 PM

http://www.tardyon.de/zit/lightmas.htm

:sq

Bristol society for paranormal research and investigations      Click here

#18    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 27 March 2002 - 10:15 PM

Gizzie, with a post like that, I must agree that you are in way over your head here.

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#19    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 27 March 2002 - 10:27 PM

Crosis,
      Thanks for the link, that makes it all a (tiny) bit clearer to me!  But I'm still not getting in the middle of this!

Homer,
        While I am struggling for the 300th post,  I notice you're about to make 700!!  You're going to make Odin an unhappy camper!!  :s02

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

#20    GIZZIE

GIZZIE

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 March 2002 - 10:31 PM

Crosis

Thanks a lot.  I still don't agree with what was said (maybe I'm about to change the world of science?  What is it they say about "out of the mouth of fools and children......truth"

Homer, with a comment like that I can only say that you, boy, are up to your neck in brown stuff!! The nasty smelly mass with particles - know what I mean?

So, Mr Smart Bottom, would you care to reply because at the moment, we are only talking light, we have air and sound and nerves to continue with?
How about the speed of dark?

#21    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 27 March 2002 - 10:38 PM

Gizzie,
Dark is merely the absense of light, and therefore has no speed. If you wish to find some answers not related to light, then start another thread. But don't do it to challenge me just because I know what I'm talking about with regards to light.

#22    GIZZIE

GIZZIE

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 March 2002 - 10:47 PM

What a shame your spelling isn't as good as your knowledge of light.  I suppose you used to be a big head but now you're perfect

Noone has even noticed I've reached 101 posts  :'(

I give up, I'd rather talk with people than be talked down to.  My knowledge of certain things might be better than yours, but I wouldn't throw that in your face (I'd choose something else). :s08

#23    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 27 March 2002 - 10:54 PM

Gizzie,
I'm not trying to be a 'know it all', merely state facts concerning the speed of light and mass. The debate can rage for years to come, but it's still a fact unless the laws of physics change.

By the way, congrats on your 100th post WOOHOO!!

#24    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,993 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 27 March 2002 - 11:06 PM

I think that despite the currently regarded "fact" that light is massless, if Photons are both particles and waves, then they must displace space time in a measurably physical way. To exist, implies it must have a measurable physical presence.

To say something is a half-particle / half-wave and has no mass at all, is a convenient explanation for science, where no better an explanation exists. The true nature of light has yet to be determined.

In the same way as the model of an Atom has changed over the centuries, perhaps our understanding of light will also change as new discoveries are made.

Who knows, it may turn out to be something more unexpected than anyone could possibly have imagined.
:)

:sk

#25    GIZZIE

GIZZIE

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 March 2002 - 11:13 PM

Homer,

You're a gentleman as well as a scholar - thank you for the congrats!
I'm afraid I was always the kid who said "But Why Miss" (went to an all girls school - maybe that explains it!!) I just could never accept certain things and I can't accept that light has no mass nor particles - the Web site reference that Crosis pointed me to is more to my way of thinking but............if you close the thermos flask, can you measure how much light you've captured and surely all light is controlled by gravity unless, you create a false atmosphere and if it's false, then it can only be hypothetical?
Incidentally, I think I read somewhere recently that Quantum scientists have decided that Quantum can be measured....?
If you would prefer I post this as a separate issue, then by all means.  I still would like to know about air, sound and motor neurons. :st

#26    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 27 March 2002 - 11:16 PM

Exactly, SaRuMaN, since I have said the laws of physics as we know them today, I was refering to any new discovery that might shed more light on the matter in the future.

#27    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 27 March 2002 - 11:22 PM

Gizzie,
You said light was controlled by gravity. Sort of. Light is bent due to the bending of space/time caused by the mass of other objects.

#28    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,993 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 27 March 2002 - 11:25 PM

;D

Give scientists a bit of space and a considerable amount of time, and new theories may surface, en masse.

:s2

#29    GIZZIE

GIZZIE

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 March 2002 - 11:25 PM

And I'm still in the dark :o :(

Homer, you're a Prince!
Scotland 6 USA 1

#30    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 27 March 2002 - 11:48 PM

There is a detailed article that explains about a light's 'relativistic mass' as well as light's momentum and velocity. It's an interesting article, and if you want you information CLICK HERE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users