Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Can we travel faster than light?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 28 March 2002 - 12:24 AM

Saruman and Homer,
               Nice play-on-words!!   ;)

Gizzie,
               Congrats on your 100th post!!  :sq

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

#32    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 28 March 2002 - 12:31 AM

Thanks Nora.

Debates are cool 8)

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#33    GIZZIE

GIZZIE

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 March 2002 - 12:31 AM

OK,

how many types of light are there?
Light generated by the sun (day?)
Light generated by the moon (night)
Light generated by the stars (?)
Light generated when the moon and the sun can be seen in the sky?
Light generated artificially (lasers, for example; does the colour make a difference in speed, distance, mass, particles?)
If the beam of light is concentrated, does it travel faster (or, being concentrated, would have more mass and particles but in a smaller volume (My God, I forgot all about volume!) and therefore, logically speaking, would slow down?
As light bounces back (reflects) at what speed does it do this (maybe ghosts can be captured on camera this way?!)
And what about refraction?

Anyone?

Swallows are the dolphins of the sky

#34    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 28 March 2002 - 01:08 AM

Gizzie,
You asked how many different types of light there are. The sun and the stars are the same, and the moon gives off refected light. The size of light is refered to as it's wavelength. The strength(or energy) is called it's frequency and the speed is always the same(in a vacuum). So light waves come in a continuous variety of sizes, frequencies and energies. This is refered as the 'electromagnetic spectrum'

Concentrated light has a higher frequency, but the speed is the same. In order of lowest to highest frequency: Radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible, ultraviolet, X-ray, gamma ray.

You mentioned about concentrated light having more mass. Remember, light has no mass.

A variety of objects can slow the speed of light: water, glass, diamonds, etc. etc.

When light bounces back, the reflected light still travels at the same speed.

There is a lot I don't know about light, but I hope this helps.

#35    GIZZIE

GIZZIE

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 March 2002 - 06:41 PM

Homer

Thank you so much  :-*
You explained things in a way that even I understood!!
Problem is that I forgot why I needed this information to post :s02
It's a fascinating subject though, isn't it?
Thanks again and thanks to Norabdawg for her kind wishes :st

Homer is cool  8) ( ;D )

Swallows are the dolphins of the sky

#36    JesusFreakGS

JesusFreakGS

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 March 2002 - 02:47 AM

I recently formulated an idea on how one might be able to use neutrinos to travel faster than light... not very realistic, but still... Neutrinos from the sun DO reach the Earth before photons do. Couldn't it be possible for NASA to harness these particles and use them to create kinetic energy to be able to cover vast distances in space? Just an idea.

Adam

#37    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 30 March 2002 - 04:30 AM

Neutrinos may reach earth before photons, but they are not faster. Many neutrinos originate in our own atmosphere, but then that's not your point.

Before the energy from a neutrino can be harnessed, it must be understood. It isn't even known if neutrinos have mass or not, much less anything else. If they don't have mass, like a photon, then they travel at the same speed(lightspeed), but if it's discovered they do have mass, then their speed is just under lightspeed.

Depends on the source of information on whether or not they have mass or travel at lightspeed, due to the fact that some experiments have neutrinos at having a small mass(millions of times smaller than a proton) and travel at slightly LESS than lightspeed.

So first neutrinos should be understood better, than perhaps their energy harnessed.

Just a note, if they are discovered to have mass, than the question of Dark Matter will be answered.

Neutrinos are cool 8)

#38    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 06 April 2002 - 01:56 AM

Apologies if Homer has already debunked the theory of superluminal speeds in this thread, :s04  but according to this article, (I think it says) we can never go warp speed.  :'(

http://www.space.com...ive_020306.html

Tommy
:sj

"Superstition created all the gods and angels, all the devils and ghosts, all the witches, demons and goblins, gave us all the augurs, soothsayers and prophets, filled the heavens with signs and wonders, broke the chain of cause and effect, and wrote the history of man in miracles and lies" ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

#39    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 06 April 2002 - 02:56 AM

Tommy,
I never mentioned 'superluminal speeds' or 'warp speed' specifically. Warp speed I think is very interesting, and unless I misunderstood him, SaRuMaN stated in this very thread "it will be possible to traverse vast distances without passing through the space in between." and I agree with the possibility, but I don't know how.

Although traveling at the speed of light can never happen for us(unless some new discovery that will allow that thereby invalidating all of physics), traveling at great distances might happen. I don't have an answer or even a theory as to how it might happen, but if space can be warped, perhaps utilizing a wormhole or another dimension, then traveling outside our solar system and even across the galaxy would be a realistic possibility.

Obviously our current technology prevents us from even experimenting on something like this, but not on theorizing on it. I don't think warp drive has been debunked, even by this article. I think this article explains how one particular theory of warp drive is impossible. A quote from the article: "His research shows that contraction or expansion of space need not occur as it does in Alcubierre`s theory, therefore, no warp-drive effects." To me, that only says that recent research has found that a particular theory has been debunked, and not that warp drive itself is impossible. Too much emphasis was placed on disproving a theory and not enough on proving the impossibility of warp drive for me to not believe it could ever be possible.

What a long winded reply just to say I still believe in the possibility of warp drive :P

#40    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 06 April 2002 - 10:17 PM

Yep, that article didn't seem too certain that it had disproved it, more seemed to suggest it wasn't likely.

never take me too seriously

#41    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 07 April 2002 - 04:03 AM

Warp drive is cool 8)

#42    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 07 April 2002 - 10:20 PM

Thought you migt say that  :D

never take me too seriously

#43    crosis

crosis

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 10:27 PM

Homer,

here's a news link about neutrino's that you may find interesting.
http://www.ananova.com/yournews/story/sm_563442.html

then again you may not. :sq

Bristol society for paranormal research and investigations      Click here

#44    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 11:10 PM

crosis,
Thank you, that is an interesting article. How they measure something so small is beyond me :)

#45    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 04:07 PM

crosis provided a link from ananova.com that states that the neutrino has been measured. A excerpt from the article "Cambridge University scientists calculated a sub-atomic neutrino weighs less than a billionth of the mass of a hydrogen atom.

The hydrogen atom is the smallest and simplest of all the elements on the periodic table"

space.com(among others) has an article explaining the discovery of new evidense for a new state of matter heavier than any previously known. The article states that the equivelant density would be to stuff all of Earth into an auditorium. For more information CLICK HERE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users