Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

NASA lost thier minds ?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#31    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 28 January 2006 - 07:35 PM

ok so this helium-3 is it in ice form on the dark side? or do they have to bring lots of gear to extract it from the dust? Either way it's logistics night mare.

You're more-or-less correct.  H3 is in the soil.   Extracting it is problematic at this time, of course.  About 28 million pounds of lunar soil would be needed to extract 1 pound of H3 by heating it to high temperature and extracting the gas (with oxygen and water as by products, which is also pretty nice).

It's a great idea for a very safe, high energy fuel, but that's a ways off in the future, I'd say!

Regards.

#32    et's daddy

et's daddy

believer of the possible

• 2,611 posts

• the truth isnt out there
    its right here

Posted 28 January 2006 - 11:12 PM

You're more-or-less correct.  H3 is in the soil.   Extracting it is problematic at this time, of course.  About 28 million pounds of lunar soil would be needed to extract 1 pound of H3 by heating it to high temperature and extracting the gas (with oxygen and water as by products, which is also pretty nice).

It's a great idea for a very safe, high energy fuel, but that's a ways off in the future, I'd say!
Regards.

28 million pounds ?

how did you arrive at that figure ?

im all for returning to the moon

#33    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:15 PM

28 million pounds ?

how did you arrive at that figure ?

im all for returning to the moon

Thanks for asking that question.  
I made a typo.

blush.gif

I meant to say 1 TON of H3 can be derived from approximately 28 million pounds of lunar soil.  It's amazing how one little word can make you about 99.95% wrong!

But anyway, this figure is a reduction of an obscure ratio based upon the amount of helium 3 found in lunar soil samples, and some research put out by Jack Scmidtt, Apollo 17 LM pilot and researcher on the topic  (others have done some in-depth analysis of this problem as well).

About 25 tons of H3 could supply U.S. energy needs for a year, in very safe fashion.  But that would take about 350,000 tons of lunar soil to produce.   It's a daunting project to contemplate, and is quite a ways off in the future.

But returning to the moon would be essential to even start serious development.

I'm all for it too, and have been since December 1972, when Apollo ended prematurely.

Regards.

#34    Shai_Hulud

Shai_Hulud

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:33 AM

Helium 3, one of the universe most abundant element. The crap of stars, not to mention that we have no functional fusion powered plant yet. A better and cheaper way for harvesting Helium-3 would be by constructing a giant helium 3 collector made of aerogel/palladium particulates and orbitting it around earth, palladium molecules will "capture" He-3 we crack it and process it on Earth, aerogel, because its very porous and hopefully will capture some He3 as well. Have no idea which is more efficacious, so both method should be used. He3 will still be one of the most expensive molecules in the world.

#35    RamboIII

RamboIII

Killer Without Reason

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:36 AM

Maybe its to show that this time they will actually go to the monn

are you retarded, we have been already moron

#36    RamboIII

RamboIII

Killer Without Reason

• Banned
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:37 AM

i always thought jfk should have claimed the moon as american property, but we had to share...

#37    cerberusxp

cerberusxp

Psychic Spy

• 1,067 posts

• We all look for truth, however when we find it, some times we wish we hadn't. R. Burch

Posted 01 February 2006 - 06:12 AM

Helium 3, one of the universe most abundant element. The crap of stars, not to mention that we have no functional fusion powered plant yet. A better and cheaper way for harvesting Helium-3 would be by constructing a giant helium 3 collector made of aerogel/palladium particulates and orbitting it around earth, palladium molecules will "capture" He-3 we crack it and process it on Earth, aerogel, because its very porous and hopefully will capture some He3 as well. Have no idea which is more efficacious, so both method should be used. He3 will still be one of the most expensive molecules in the world.

I haul about 40 tons of material across the country all the time so this should be no prob..   rolleyes.gif

What we say and do unto others while here on earth are the vessels of our glory or undoing EXCUSE ME WHILE I KISS THE SKY
credentials http://www.unexplain...amp;pid=2291684

" I want the people of America to work less for the Government and more for themselves" Calvin Coolidge 1924
If one were to try and pidgin hole me I'd say I was a Jeffersonian liberal.

#38    et's daddy

et's daddy

believer of the possible

• 2,611 posts

its right here

Posted 01 February 2006 - 06:29 AM

so it would take 14000 tons of moon rock to get 1 ton of HE-3

is it worth it ?

#39    Stalker

Stalker

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

• That you may see the meaning of within...

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:56 PM

We need to go back, yes.  Our planet can't possibly sustain the human race for much longer.  I predict we'll eventually have entire cities on the moon, similar to Granada and Von Braun City as mentioned in GUNDAM.

But of course, that's a long way off.  If we could harvest Helium-3 from the moon and harness fusion energy, though, we'd have an incredible boost in the range of our space program.

Edited by Stalker, 02 February 2006 - 11:02 PM.

I was not expecting him to have a ferret skilled in nuclear weaponry

#40    et's daddy

et's daddy

believer of the possible

• 2,611 posts

its right here

Posted 02 February 2006 - 11:44 PM

i think soon the moon could be a short rest stop on a trip to Mars

#41    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:12 AM

i think soon the moon could be a short rest stop on a trip to Mars

A short rest stop?

The moon would only be a couple days out from earth?  Why a short stop there, when the rest of the journey would be months long?  

No, I think rather that lunar obit would be a reasonable place to actually embark on a Mars mission.   The vehicle could be assembled in Earth orbit, flown out to lunar orbit on a final shakedown, and "launched" as-it-were, from lunar orbit toward mars.

...of course, THAT is a ways off!  We've got to get back to the moon first.

#42    et's daddy

et's daddy

believer of the possible

• 2,611 posts

its right here

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:48 AM

A short rest stop?

The moon would only be a couple days out from earth?  Why a short stop there, when the rest of the journey would be months long?  

No, I think rather that lunar obit would be a reasonable place to actually embark on a Mars mission.   The vehicle could be assembled in Earth orbit, flown out to lunar orbit on a final shakedown, and "launched" as-it-were, from lunar orbit toward mars.
...of course, THAT is a ways off!  We've got to get back to the moon first.

well i was talking way in the future

people would go to the Moon Lunar Hilton for a couple days en route to thier Mars vacation

thumbsup.gif

#43    StalingradK

StalingradK

Psychic Spy

• 1,716 posts

• We happy few, we band of brothers/
    For he that sheds his blood with me this day/
    Shall be my brother
    -Shakespeare; Henry V

Posted 03 February 2006 - 01:28 AM

We need to go back, yes. Our planet can't possibly sustain the human race for much longer. I predict we'll eventually have entire cities on the moon, similar to Granada and Von Braun City as mentioned in GUNDAM.

the earth can support the human race forever as long as we stop with so much un-biodegradable waste and  the high consumption of oil.

Get in the Puma!!!

#44    et's daddy

et's daddy

believer of the possible

• 2,611 posts

its right here

Posted 03 February 2006 - 01:31 AM

the earth can support the human race forever as long as we stop with so much un-biodegradable waste and  the high consumption of oil.

there is enough oil on this planet to last many many more years

just tap Alaska

but i cant wait to be able to see moon landings in my lifetime

i was born in 71

#45    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 04:59 PM

well i was talking way in the future

people would go to the Moon Lunar Hilton for a couple days en route to thier Mars vacation

thumbsup.gif

Ohhh...

Yes, your WAAAAY ahead of the game, I see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users