Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

NASA lost thier minds ?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#46    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 04 February 2006 - 05:03 PM

there is enough oil on this planet to last many many more years

just tap Alaska

but i cant wait to be able to see moon landings in my lifetime

i was born in 71

You're correct, there is enough oil under the surface of this planet to last years...many generations beyond, actually.  It is not, nor shall it be a problem for humans centuries into the future.

Non-biodegradable waste is another matter, of course.  

I can understand your zeal to see moon landings in your lifetime, being born as you were a year before the Apollo program ended.  I have a feeling you indeed shall!

#47    et's daddy

et's daddy

believer of the possible

• 2,611 posts

• the truth isnt out there
    its right here

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:43 PM

i do wonder what sort of craft they will use

use the shuttle to get into a moon orbit and then take something from there ?

or something like the Apollo rockets ?

or something altogether different ?

#48    turbonium

turbonium

Government Agent

• 4,265 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:35 AM

well i was talking way in the future

people would go to the Moon Lunar Hilton for a couple days en route to thier Mars vacation

thumbsup.gif

If there are budgetary constraints, the astronauts may have to "catch some Z's" in the Moon Motel 6, oh-so conveniently located on the far side of the Moon! user posted image

#49    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:12 PM

i do wonder what sort of craft they will use

use the shuttle to get into a moon orbit and then take something from there ?

or something like the Apollo rockets ?

or something altogether different ?

Oh, don't wonder, go take a look at the plans!

Very Apollo-like, actually.   No shuttle involved, although Shuttle-based propulsion will be utilized on the newer launch vehicles.   The Shuttle never had any capability to fly above about a 300 NM high earth orbit.  It is unsuitable for lunar flight.  That vehicle, a mistake, mind-you, will be phased out of service long before the return to the moon takes place.

Try this link and you can see the whole deal for yourself:

www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/exploration/main/index.html

Regards

#50    turbonium

turbonium

Government Agent

• 4,265 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:11 AM

Oh, don't wonder, go take a look at the plans!

Very Apollo-like, actually.   No shuttle involved, although Shuttle-based propulsion will be utilized on the newer launch vehicles.   The Shuttle never had any capability to fly above about a 300 NM high earth orbit.  It is unsuitable for lunar flight.  That vehicle, a mistake, mind-you, will be phased out of service long before the return to the moon takes place.

Try this link and you can see the whole deal for yourself:

www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/exploration/main/index.html

Regards

Come on MID - you know better than that! NASA has specially equipped Shuttles that zip around the Moon and deftly manouver through clusters of fragmented meteors. Heck, these babies can even land on a meteor, plant a nuke and zip back to Earth. There is videotape evidence of this, and first hand witnesses -Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck!! user posted image

#51    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,765 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 09 February 2006 - 04:33 PM

Bruce Willis

Hmm... I thought he was killed in the explosion?

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#52    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:15 PM

Come on MID - you know better than that! NASA has specially equipped Shuttles that zip around the Moon and deftly manouver through clusters of fragmented meteors. Heck, these babies can even land on a meteor, plant a nuke and zip back to Earth. There is videotape evidence of this, and first hand witnesses -Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck!! user posted image

Yea, Turb...I do know better, but I've been sworn to secrecy regarding those impossibly maneuverable Shuttles.   And Affleck and Willis...oh those guys are going down for putting that stuff out!

I actually watched that movie one day...I'd have laughed my rear off if I didn't have such a case of indigestion from it!

grin2.gif

#53    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,313 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:21 PM

I actually watched that movie one day...I'd have laughed my rear off if I didn't have such a case of indigestion from it!

grin2.gif

Don't you know? Before you watch one of those Hollywood space movies, you need to go get some of this.
user posted image

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#54    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:15 PM

Don't you know? Before you watch one of those Hollywood space movies, you need to go get some of this.
user posted image

grin2.gif

...yea.   Shoulda though of that!

#55    et's daddy

et's daddy

believer of the possible

• 2,611 posts

its right here

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:16 PM

i thought the next gen of American space flight was supposed to be the Aurora ?

user posted image

http://users.cihost.com/ata/aircraft.htm

#56    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 06:37 PM

i thought the next gen of American space flight was supposed to be the Aurora ?

user posted image

http://users.cihost.com/ata/aircraft.htm

Well, no, not really.

That's an aircraft...hypersonic and high altitude, but an aircraft.   Something like that could be developed into an orbital spacecraft, and probably will as a replacement for the Shuttle, but planetary or lunar exploration doesn't involve the development of aerodynamic vehicles of that nature...

#57    Goingcrazy

Goingcrazy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 115 posts

• "Joseph Grand couldn't find his words..."

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:30 PM

To hell with NASA.

NASA has been treading water for decades now, getting nowhere because it is generally ignored by Washington. A noble effort but ultimately futile...

I thought for some time that NASA should be privatized.
Lets just hand over space exploration to the corporate sector. We have to face the sad reality that they just get things done far more efficiently.

I can already hear the criticism.Yes individuals will profit from this scientific endeaver, but is that really such a terrible thing?
I like to imagine a future with a planet wide international and yes corporate space industry. The benefits are manifold.

#58    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 10:22 PM

To hell with NASA.

NASA has been treading water for decades now, getting nowhere because it is generally ignored by Washington. A noble effort but ultimately futile...

I thought for some time that NASA should be privatized.
Lets just hand over space exploration to the corporate sector. We have to face the sad reality that they just get things done far more efficiently.

I can already hear the criticism.Yes individuals will profit from this scientific endeaver, but is that really such a terrible thing?
I like to imagine a future with a planet wide international and yes corporate space industry. The benefits are manifold.

Well, that certainly changed the direction of the discussion, didn't it?

There's certainly some merit to your idea.  It is possible that private industry could grab the reigns of the space exploration effort and run with it, perhaps sucessfully.  The only problem is that there is no manned space exploration effort that has been in place to grab for decades.

Now, of course, there is one, evidently, but I think it folly to place that in the hands of private industry.   Believe it or not, NASA has the people to do this thing.   Not as many as before, but the best of the best are still there.   They have just been inhibited in the past decades, not only by lack of interest from Washington, but by lack of interest from the American people, and of course by a completely new and contrary paradigm of management culture at the agency, the results of which have been obvious (to wit, Challenger and Columbia).

Returning to the Moon is not within the capabilities of private industry to accomplish without some central authority managing it.   Commercializing Earth orbital flight is certainly a possibility, and if anyone can do it Burt Rutan can, but that is a long way off, and has nothing do do with space exploration.

Of course NASA hasn't either since about 1973.  It appears that they are going to be allowed to again, though...and as such, there really isn't any other organization that could do it....

...yet.

#59    et's daddy

et's daddy

believer of the possible

• 2,611 posts

its right here

Posted 12 February 2006 - 10:28 PM

isnt that sort of what the X-prize is about ?

private space travel

or commercial space travel

#60    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 10:48 PM

isnt that sort of what the X-prize is about ?

private space travel

or commercial space travel

Yep.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users